Millennials and the Church

For the most part, I like what's being said there. My only quibble (and even "quibble" seems too strong a word) is that the author starts off by saying "let's stop asking what Millennials want" only to end on expressing what a particular Millennial (who reflects many I've known) wants. Even the article title reflects a desire to "keep Millenials in the church." I largely agree with the assessments, but I can't help but raise a brow at that aspect of the article. Just the irony detector in me, I guess. :p

Last edited:
I'm not sure entirely sure about the second article. I think the essence of the article was "this is how it is." But it seems to me that if you want more people in the church (and you do), and these people are already unsure about participating, then telling them to get over it wouldn't be the way to do it, right?

At the end of the article, he says "I’m not saying that the church should never listen to the audience or pay attention to data and trends." This seems to counter the point he wants to make. The finishes the article by essentially saying he wants to be a part of something with tradition and authenticity, which is what the other article stated.

Perhaps I misinterpreted the article or read too far into it. But I'm thoroughly confused. lol

Edit: Kendrik - excellent post earlier, I like the change part and how you specified when it should happen.

Last edited:
At the end of the article, he says "I’m not saying that the church should never listen to the audience or pay attention to data and trends." This seems to counter the point he wants to make. .

I don't see that as a counter. He is simply pointing out that nothing should be extreme and while data and trends do have some value, they should not be a priority.

Here is an interesting twist on Millennials and the Church - written by a Millennial - How to Keep Millennials in the Church.
How about the opposite? Millennials: why don’t we take our pastors, parents, and older Christian brothers and sisters out to coffee and listen to them? Perhaps instead of perpetuating our sense of entitlement and Twitter/blog/Instagram-fueled obsession with hearing ourselves speak, we could just shut up for a minute and listen to the wisdom of those who have gone before?
+1

As someone who doesn't quite register as a Millennial but still entrenched in digital American culture, this is exactly the kind of wake-up call that appeals to me and I wish had been leveled at me during my youth group years (and challenges me in a constructive way even now).

Heard this on the radio today...

I have never heard that guy before, but I really agree with what he has to say. I think many people forget Jesus is who he is not who we want him to be, and the Bible is not a 'living document' that changes as our culture changes. The best part to make that point, he said:

"Then she goes on, “[the Church is] too political, old-fashioned, unconcerned with social justice and hostile to [LGBT] people.” Well, okay—anytime political programs co-opt our faith, or we ignore the needy and fail to love those with whom we disagree, we do the Gospel of Christ great harm."
"But when she writes that attracting millennials to Jesus involves “an end to the culture wars,” “a truce between science and faith,” being less “exclusive” with less emphasis on sex, without “predetermined answers” to life’s questions, now I want to ask--are we still talking about the Jesus of biblical Christianity?"

Thank you CowRocket, I enjoyed that.

Last edited:
Back