Nevermore

Manyik

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT2WsuBktKM

This is for all you guys on TS today that had no idea what I was talking about when I said Rho named his black moa pet Nevermore after The Raven poem by Poe. It is said to be the most famous poem in the world so you should be reading it in an English class someday. Watch the whole clip because the nevermore doesn't start until half way through. I even chose the Simpson version so it would be easy to sit through.

Kel Queen of all Europe

YAY! Thanks Kel.. now i will feel smart..

i uh.. i mean, i wasnt one of those guys on TS *cough* no.. *cough* not at all

*runs*

Actually if I'm not mistaken a movie was made based on Edgar Allen Poe's The Raven. I belive it was made in the 50s era. I used to own a vintage movie poster of it :) good poem btw.

Poe was a very weird one he was. I actually had never read any of his work. Coming from a Homeschooling family I guess he was stricken from my schooling lol.

I enjoy Poe's stuff... he really was the original emo kid... yet his poetry is pretty good... I really prefer his short stories, though.

Well thank you for restoring my faith in some of the schools in this country and Dredd the whole homeschool thing doesn't work very well when the person who started the thread was homeschooled too. Oh and one of the comments that had me posting was "You named him after the bow?"

Kel Queen of all Europe

Actually if I'm not mistaken a movie was made based on Edgar Allen Poe's The Raven. I belive it was made in the 50s era. I used to own a vintage movie poster of it :) good poem btw.

More than just 1 movie, it's everywhere in pop-culture

From Wikipedia

"The Raven"'s influence extends well beyond the sphere of poetry. The Alan Parsons Project, Blues Traveler, Tim Burton, Neil Gaiman, Stephen King, Georges Perec, Terry Pratchett, and Lou Reed have paid homage to the poem; the first ever "Treehouse of Horror" episode of The Simpsons parodied it; and the National Football League's Baltimore Ravens take their name from it, to name a few examples.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Raven_in_popular_culture

Here is a big page listing some of the references to it. Even my favorite cooking show "Good Eats" had a parody show.

I know whats wrong with kids today- not enough TV or they would have seen it somewhere by now

Kel Queen of all Europe

I also remember it being quoted in some of the lines of Brandon Lee in "The Crow"

Btw. I love "Good Eats" i like the way Alton Brown explains the science behind everythign he makes. :)

What I was saying is the material that I used was from Baptist we are not Baptist mind you and have nothing against Baptist but now you understand why no Poe for me in school.

I love The Raven. How could y'all NOT know it? My sister memorized it when we were in high school. (And The Rime of the Ancient Mariner; I memorized weirder stuff...)

Annabel Lee is creepier though...

By the way, I knew the inspiration for the name the first time I heard someone had named their black moa "Nevermore." Never occurred to me it could be anything else. :)

Last edited:
I just realized that every sorta-twisted poem I memorized in high school was written by a guy...I have GOT to find some excellent dark poetry by a woman.

Back