Impressions of UFC 117

Roy Nelson- makes it look as if I could do MMA
Matt Hughes- always solid, great match
Jon Fitch- takedowns were awesome
Chael Sonnen- solid fighter
Anderson Silva- one word, unexpected

Dislike:
Thiago Alves- weight made it look easy for Fitch to win
Maaaaaan. Nelson was a beast. He's fatter than me, no small claim for a UFC fighter, but he took an insane beating and never truly went down. I agree with the commentators... if he got into optimal shape instead of holding onto his fat shielding, he'd be ridiculously beastmode.

Matt Hughes' closer blew my mind. I've never seen that before, and I walked away in shock from the awesomeness of it.

I wasn't happy with the Sonnen/Silva conclusion. It came out of nowhere, and I really don't think the judge's call was right, but Sonnen took it pretty well, so that pleases me.

I'm already crazy hyped about UFC 118. Mostly because I can't wait to see Couture fight. Olympic wrestling for great justice!

Also... going back to the undertaking subject for a moment here. My training has taken bad turns downhill as of late, and now that I'm feeling the effects of it, I'm pretty dissatisfied. I've tasted the goodness of routine exercise and diet, and going back to my old ways is just not satisfactory any more. I have new resolve to make progress. Success is my only option; failure's not.

Additionally, I wrote a local Jujutsu sensei. His dojo is really neat and, like his instructors, is all about community improvement. They run their program pro bono. It's not very big, and it's primarily focused on self-defense (probably why it's not huge), but the instructors and dojo have excellent standing in Budoshin Jujutsu and have awards from the AJA.

As a bonus, two of the instructors also have black belts in Combat Sombo. I'm very interested in Russian wrestling, so I asked if either of them would be interested in training me in that on the side. There are very few Russian wrestling instructors in the area.

On another martial arts training note, I found a local boxing club that looks pretty legit. Gonna be checking it out in the nearish future, too.

On another note I found a couch to 5K workout that looks easier to do.

Couch to 5K
Cool. Thanks for sharing.

I'm currently working through a book on boxing workouts.

My interests are definitely shifting toward internal martial arts (such at tai chi). I want to learn greater control. All the power in the world without sufficient control is... of not interest to me. I still want to fight for sport, but this interest is gaining prominence.

Couture is all that matters.

Not really, but I am a fan... especially because of his wrestling background.

I have a strong favoritism streak for traditional wrestlers and boxers.

@RyanB: I'll have to check that out. Forgot about it.

Regarding my progress: I'm working some HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training) ideas into my workouts to give me a cardio edge during strength training. Additionally, I'm adding in some iron body/hardbody (not sure what the proper term is) techniques into the mix. Working on developing my ability to take a punch and whatnot. Good times.

Well. Painful times. But good results. XD

Just took a peek at your blog and this. Personally, I'd focus less on weight and more on measurements, e.g. are your biceps getting bigger, your waist smaller, etc... those are generally faster indicators of muscle gain / fat loss than weight. Get a measuring tape and some calipers - I suspect you'll get a lot more motivation from them than the scale :)

Just took a peek at your blog and this. Personally, I'd focus less on weight and more on measurements, e.g. are your biceps getting bigger, your waist smaller, etc... those are generally faster indicators of muscle gain / fat loss than weight. Get a measuring tape and some calipers - I suspect you'll get a lot more motivation from them than the scale :)
I appreciate that tip. It's one I need to post on the blog. The scale is not favorable right now despite the fact that my functional performance (in specifics and in general) are significantly better than when I started.

I also look beefier and less chubby.

yeah, i think that's one of the biggest killers of improvement when people try to get back in shape. if all you're doing is dieting you'll see the scale drop fairly fast at first, but if you're doing it the way you're supposed to by properly fueling yourself along with excercise there's definitely a period of seemingly no gain while everything around you indicates otherwise.

one of my favorite motivators was the # of holes on my belt i could go in - doesn't require buying anything and has an substantial impact on your morale.

Thoughts on UFC 118

- Davis' cut on his eye was brutal, great choke by Davis for the win.
- Gray Maynard showed out in this one. Solid fight.
- Maia had many takedowns and great grappling. Had trouble controlling Miranda. Not good with the armbar attempts either. Maia wins.
- Toney taps to a Couture arm triangle submission in the first round. 3:19!!! Lights out for Toney! Enough said.
- Edgar-Penn goes the distance. Edgar seemed like a different fighter from the first fight. Much improved. Solid fight. Lots of groundwork. Penn just seemed like he was lacking something.

Last two fights were the strong points of the card and those were the ones I wanted to see. Very solid card otherwise. I was kind impressed with the Couture fight. I expected a little more from Toney but it was expected since Toney lacks experience in MMA. Will be interesting to see Toney in another fight. Hope he can get into a better training condition.

UFC 118 Play by Play Results

Last edited:
Yet another helpful resource Kenny. Haven't checked it out 100 percent.

MMA Conditioning Association

I don't know how serious you are but this may help.

Edit: This is alot of money. After looking, it cost 400 bucks and I guess you get certified as a condioning coach. I don't know if I would do this.

Last edited:
I'll second nattyg's comments...especially if you are gaining muscle while losing weight, progress isn't nearly as apparent with that number. But if you have something that is calculating fat %, it makes it much easier to tell just how much of a difference you're making.

I'll second nattyg's comments...especially if you are gaining muscle while losing weight, progress isn't nearly as apparent with that number. But if you have something that is calculating fat %, it makes it much easier to tell just how much of a difference you're making.
My weekly reports on my blog are throwing out weight data. I'm afraid I'm thinking about those numbers too much. By not keeping as much track of 'em, I'll have to focus on the bigger picture: functional fitness gains.

Additionally, part of my point in keep track of weight was because I had as a goal to hit 200-205 for competition purposes. I've shifted my perspective, though. I'm hugely built, so I'm just gonna own that and train heavy.

Well, first I'ma shoot for optimal conditioning... then bulk up from there if need be.

Just thought I'd comment because of some of the stuff I saw here, and because I'm getting ready to get back into shape myself. Not too bad, but still... I'm a former Marine, and I don't like ANYTHING jiggling on me. 6' even, and was up to 220 lbs at my heaviest. I'm now down to hovering between 195 and 200. Cut out soda, complete junk, and I'm not much of a snack person anyway. Soda was a big change. I've been dieting for the past couple of months, giving myself a starting point. When some money comes in through my tuition reimbursement, I will be starting P90X. I downloaded the videos before to try it out, and was impressed with the first week. Couldn't keep it though, since really, it's dishonest to even do that much... For that I apologize, but at least I decided to buy the product.

I've done a lot of study on the P90X system, looking to see if it's hype, or if it's really worth the money. I'm very skeptical (really? lol) though, so that's why I downloaded the videos. We have a Total Gym rotting upstairs that my wife just so NEEDED! =\ Well.... Anyway...

Just looked into this and this looks really intense. The only thing that I have a gripe over is that I don't have the bands, dumbbells, mat or yoga blocks. You have to invest alot of money for those. Then they reccomend thier supplements. So to start it may cost like 700 bucks that I don't have.

This has been why I haven't been able to start it yet. However, I would definitely suggest taking a look at Craigslist, and seeing if somebody around you has a cheap set of equipment that you can use. If so, P90X is just a few clicks away.

I'm looking at some Ironman Adjustable Dumbells which are pretty pricey, but seem the best value for the buck compared to anything else with at least 45 lbs per hand. I was looking at the Weider's in the store, and they're just plain junk. Careful if you buy them, and make sure the settings take home before you pick them up, and that all the plates are where they should be... Could break some toes with those things... If anybody knows something better, please let me know.

I was at a pretty similar point last year around 6" and 250 pounds. I tried P90X but wasn't quite in the shape to pull it off and stopped after a month. I think there is a less intensive version available but a fair warning I would try the test before attempting the full 90 days as it may not be the right way to start out.

Definitely take the test. P90X is rough! My wife made it through 2 sessions, and had to drop out. However, keep in mind that there are alternative ways to doing the routines that they're doing, and that you should not try to keep up with them the first few times you press play. The people in the video have already gone through the system before, so they're in a lot better shape than somebody starting out. Do what you can, when you can, and just keep your motivation up, so that you continue going back day after day.

It's a great program. We are doing the lean program and we just started our 7th week. Although we haven't seen a lot of weight loss, both of us are seeing and feeling a big difference in our muscles. It's definately toning. At the beginning of our 5th week, I noticed I felt really lethargic and could not do as much of the workout as I had previously been able to. My husband was feeling the same, but to a lesser degree.... We aren't doing the nutrition plan that comes with p90x..again comes back to a cost thing...but the exercise program is working for us.

Alot of your problems will be because you're not on the nutrition plan. You have to remember that their entire system is balanced with each other in order to produce the results you're looking for. If you don't follow the plan, the results wont be as advertised. Lethargy is actually a common complaint about P90X, but upon further investigation, most of the people that have this problem, are also not sticking to the nutrition plan. Like I said, I did a lot of reading up on this. lol I forgot where I found Beach Body's answer to this, but somewhere in the material, it talks about switching around a couple of the servings, in order to boost your energy.

I'd just say try and follow the plan as best you can, with the budget you got. Switch out expensive ingredients with less expensive, but nutritionally comparable counterparts. I wont be buying Beach Body Bars, that's for sure...

I'll be sure to watch your blog. It's good to see a brother buckling down. I was thinking about starting a blog to measure my own progress as well.

My payout on P90X was as follows:
~$60 for the set on ebay
~$80 for dumbbells (a set of 12 + set of 20; I'm a programmer, gimme a break)
~$35 for a door frame chin-up bar

That's it for equipment. I have carpet, so didn't really feel the need for the mat. A yoga block would have been nice, but again not a huge deal.

As for supplements, I don't think they're needed, but they sure do help! A cheap route would just be to try to eat plenty of bread/pasta/etc...just make sure you get enough calorie intake. If you work out at night, have it for lunch. If you work out in the morning, have that stuff at dinner the night before. Plus, it's certainly better to workout without supplements than to not work out at all :)

Here's what I used supplement-wise...my goal was to simply gain weight, so bear that in mind.
Pre-workout - Smash Fully Loaded (Citrus)
http://www.amazon.com/Smash-Fully-Loaded-Blue-Raspberry/dp/B002DR62A0
This stuff has energy (like the sugar drinks but not bad like that), creatine, etc. This really helped wake me up in the morning (did I mention caffeine?), but doesn't have the jitter. ~$1 per drink.

Post-Workout - Elite Whey (Vanilla - yum yum!):
http://www.amazon.com/Dymatize-Nutr...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1283576464&sr=1-1
I take this stuff with whole milk and it's like a dessert. Nom nom! Loaded with lots of protein and calories. If you're trying to gain weight, throw it in as a drink. If you are trying to lose weight, this would be more like a "meal replacement". ~$.50 per drink.

Last edited:
Wanted to add...P90X can definitely be a hard program, but it's only as hard as you make it. If you're not in shape to do the workouts...so what? You do what you can do, and Tony (the P90 guy) is good at encouraging you. Pause, take breaks, get water, etc...you aren't supposed to be able to keep up with the super-fit people at first. The goal is simply to get there, and if you put some work into it you'll be there in no time.

Shopping around, and trying to find deals to get what I want/need. Will be ordering everything on ~Oct. 1st

I have an Iron Gym door frame pull up bar, but my living room does not have a door frame that it will fit in. =\ So alas, I will have to buy a power tower, if i want to use the living room, which I do. The only place the door frame bar works in, will kill me in 5 minutes if I try to do it in there...

Discovered some things on Amazon.com This is what I'm looking at right now:
Pull up bars:
Power Stand

Dumbbells
Power Blocks
TB560

As for 12-20 lbs dumbbell sets, don't worry about it. Been there, done that. Once upon a time I was a 6' 130 lb. pencil. lol I hit the gym in the Marine Corps and shot from 130 to 180 inside 2 months. Crazy fast. No steroids either. I remember looking in the mirror one morning and was like, "What is THAT?" It was a new muscle bump on my arm that I never had before. I was ecstatic. LOL Ah, the days...

Back