Ninja Gaiden

I understand your question and I will respond to it; however, I ask that you give me a little time to sort my thoughts in order to give you the best possible answer.

as Christian we have different convictions and things afefct us differently. For example I still play FSP game I turn the violence down so it's more like a glorified game of tag insetad of a blood bath sport. But will I let younger kids play it, definitely not. I draw the line at occult symbols in games. I don't like it when I see games with satanic symbols and upside dwon crosses, it's a slap in the face on my beliefs, well that's the way it is to me. I however know many Chirstians who still play the games without any problems, more power to them. The purpose of the site is to mention things whether we are convicted against them or not.

A perfect case in point would be the Return to Castle Wolfenstein review I wrote. I mentioned how it was odd that there were no swasticas in one mode and they were in another, I forget if it's single player or multiplayer that has them or not. I just found it interesting. Am I against swastikas, not personally, however my inlaws from Germany may not like them so I mention it. I hope this clears things up a bit.

yess i fully understand what u mean but satanic symbols are very anti- christian, but eastern objects what harm do they do?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (efini @ Mar. 12 2004,12:55)]Yes, but I think I pose a valid question. I seek to offend no one, simply understand better. I was not bothered by the fact that he pointed out the eastern content. I'm just curious as to why it may be "bad" to view it in some chrisians viewpoint.

My point is that I think being closed, shutting out, choosing to ignore and not seeking to understand another religion or point of view is very un-christ like.

PS. Why do you have images of violence in you avatar if you claim to be christian?
lol I'm not Christian... I'm just defending their stance. You should pay more attention and not assume so much. Read my first post above. I clearly stated I wasn't Christian.

Many people "shut out" Christians yet I don't see you asking why they do so??

I think what it comes down to is that you're offended that their offended, and think they should just see things your way. Now isn't it ironic that YOU'RE the one being close minded and assuming things?

regarding offended and close mindedness, we're not born Christian, it's adecision we've made. Before that we've done things we don't do now etc etc. Many Christians and parents find the site useful and it's not a matter of just what bothers us but information that quite a few people do consider nice to know about.

909 - I'm not sure how or why you feel that I'm closed minded or assuming things because I missed the fact that you are not christian. Please explain.

If I were on a board dedicated to buhiddist gamers and they were saying that some content was questionable because it contained chrisian crosses, etc. then I'd pose to them the same question. Shutting out christianity for the same reasoning is just as bad in my mind I'd question those actions as well.

I do not understand how any group would seek to block out a specific set of imagery. I feel what the Natzi's did was a horrendous offense, however I still seek to understand and study their ideas, not block them out.

I'm not offended by content here (except perhaps the fact that you think I'm offended by something) I'm simply trying to better understand a mentality which I'm not totally familiar with.

Forgive me for seeking answers to simple questions. As I stated before I am not out to offend anyone.

Regarding the violence thing - I'm not at all put off by your avatar, in fact, Fight Club is without question one of my all time favorite flicks. I'm just confused by many people who are very religous (christian) and yet condone lots of violence.

Looks like we're going around in circles...

Like CCGR said, as Christians, we are convicted and affected by different things.  Some may be affended by a Buddha statue in a game, while others may think nothing of it.  As many have said before me, the reviews point out content which may be objectionable so that people can be warned before buying the game and then being offended.  I think Tolkein did a great job on his review.  It was honest, and well-written.
We're not saying it's a sin to play a game because it has symbols from other religions, but it may bother some people, and it's nice for them to know before they go out and buy the game.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Even worse if your lack of standard for all reviews. DOA3 is far worse IMHO yet it gets a much better rating.

I wrote the DOA3 review.  It is true that it has worse sexual content.  Maybe I gave it too high a score.  Again, that was just my opinion.  I think it's one of the best fighters I've played. It would've gotten a near perfect score in my book if it didn't have the revealing outfits and rear nudity.

IRT to the RTCW thing

there are only swatizcas (or however you spell it) in the single player, as would there have been in Naxi germany. The stock MP has none, altho some custom maps do. Personally, I dont care about them, they dont bug me, and RTCW and ET are the two main games I play, well online anyways, the sp is rather lacking...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Could someone here explain to me why you all feel it's bad to view images and discussion regarding Pagan symbology and legend.

First of all, I will neither fear nor hesitate to enter into a discussion regarding my own personal beliefs or beliefs pertaining to other religions such as the eastern religions or pagan theology.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]My understanding of the beliefs of Jesus is that he would have embraced the value in understanding other beliefs.

You seem to have a misunderstanding of the nature of Jesus. Jesus taught that we should love one another, but he never taught that we should embrace anything that goes against the set biblical principals. There is one God, and we are to have no other Gods before him. Jesus is God made flesh, and he came to willingly to lay down his life as a perfect sacrifice so that we could receive forgiveness. Since He is God, there is no reason for Him to seek an understanding of other beliefs.

To learn more of the true nature of Jesus, I suggest taking the time to read through the books of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and/or John.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]These ideas are not "from satan" they are simply legends and stories from another culture in another time. Their lessons have as much value as the lessons taught from Jesus and other christians if you allow yourself to be open to them, learn from them and take them for what they are.

I appreciate your time in answering my querry.

Why would those ideas not be from Satan? There is only one God and Satan’s desire is to draw people away from Him. The idea of Satan creating other theological beliefs in order to draw people away from God is not illogical. In fact, Satan has been doing it all throughout history.

As a Christian, it is my desire to draw closer to God in order to have a relationship with Him. Building that relationship requires devoting time to communicating with Him through prayer, learning more about Him by studying the bible, and by working diligently to live according to His commands.

Since I have a relationship with Him, I have to be careful to not place myself in situations that will go against His commands.

Simply seeing or discussing pagan symbols and legends is not a bad thing, but acceptance of those symbols is against biblical teachings. Will playing a game containing pagan symbols and teachings draw me away from God? It might not, but it could. A better question would be, ‘Should I take a chance finding out if playing a game containing pagan symbols and teachings will draw me away from God?’ I would have to say no.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tolkien @ Mar. 15 2004,8:49)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] You seem to have a misunderstanding of the nature of Jesus.  Jesus taught that we should love one another, but he never taught that we should embrace anything that goes against the set biblical principals.

I think what you've said here is very meaningful. It's my own interperatation that in order to love something or someone you must first know or understand it. As someone from a scientific background I have a hard time understanding why some level of knowledge about the earth or it's peoples could be a bad thing.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Since He is God, there is no reason for Him to seek an understanding of other beliefs.

The theology in eastern religons and beliefs are as much a historical and social as they are religous. In being unwilling to better know and understand their religous beliefs you shut out the opportunity to learn about a very intersting and rich culture. This type of attitude historically is what has brought about much strife between neighbor and countries and many times lead to war and bloodshead.

I've learnt many things in studying other cultures and other religous beleifs. I value them greatly. I'd hate to think that any of the things I've learnt were in some way coming from Satan just because they were not directly from the bible. They've been very positive influences on me and helped me have a greater understanding and love for all people.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Why would those ideas not be from Satan?

Why would these ideas BE from Satan?

I suppose the only way you could be able to tell for sure is to seek to understand it better. If you are a strong person regardless of the amount of temptation you face you will alway be able to stay true to what you believe. If you truly feel this way then there is no danger in further understanding these things. Be they from satan or not, I feel youre beliefs are strong enough that you'd not be temped by anything contained.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The idea of Satan creating other theological beliefs in order to draw people away from God is not illogical.  In fact, Satan has been doing it all throughout history.

I've always had difficulties embracing the thought that anyone who did not follow Christianity was in some way under the influence of Satan. I've known too many people of other beliefs and know of too many other beliefs which are so positive that I can't imagine that they would be negative or evil. I shudder to think what my life would be if I shut out those beliefs or those people.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]‘Should I take a chance finding out if playing a game containing pagan symbols and teachings will draw me away from God?’  I would have to say no.

As before I cant really imagine how you would be drawn away from god if your beleifs in him are strong.

Thanks for taking your time here. You've helped me to better understand your perspective and it is very beneficial to me. I apperciate that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] As someone from a scientific background I have a hard time understanding why some level of knowledge about the earth or it's peoples could be a bad thing.

And exactly which statement did I make that indicates that it is wrong for Christians to better understand other beliefs? I never made any statement whatsoever that Christians should be uneducated regarding anything. Actually, I would encourage any Christian to have a greater understanding of another belief in order to be able to bear witness to that person for effectively. It can be a difficult task trying to go head to head with a Mormon or Jehova’s Witness without an understanding of their beliefs.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The theology in eastern religons and beliefs are as much a historical and social as they are religous. In being unwilling to better know and understand their religous beliefs you shut out the opportunity to learn about a very intersting and rich culture. This type of attitude historically is what has brought about much strife between neighbor and countries and many times lead to war and bloodshead.

And again I direct you to my previous statement. However I think I have an idea of where you are confused. I said that Jesus would have had no need to gain a greater understanding of people’s beliefs. I will stand firm on this statement and will explain why I believe this to be true. In Jesus’ life on earth, He demonstrated himself to be God before many witnesses. One thing He demonstrated was that He knew a person’s heart. He knew of all the false gods, and understood people’s beliefs. He had no reason to seek a greater understanding of other beliefs because he is God. He also would have had no reason to embrace those beliefs because those beliefs go completely against His very nature.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I've learnt many things in studying other cultures and other religous beleifs. I value them greatly. I'd hate to think that any of the things I've learnt were in some way coming from Satan just because they were not directly from the bible. They've been very positive influences on me and helped me have a greater understanding and love for all people.

Those beliefs may have some positive qualities to them, but I’ve found that the best place for a lie to be hidden is buried in the truth. There are some major Christian beliefs now that have distorted the truth and are continuing to draw people away from God.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Why would these ideas BE from Satan?

I suppose the only way you could be able to tell for sure is to seek to understand it better. If you are a strong person regardless of the amount of temptation you face you will alway be able to stay true to what you believe. If you truly feel this way then there is no danger in further understanding these things. Be they from satan or not, I feel youre beliefs are strong enough that you'd not be temped by anything contained.

As stated previously, I never said that learning about other beliefs is wrong; however, there is a very big difference between understanding and embracing.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I've always had difficulties embracing the thought that anyone who did not follow Christianity was in some way under the influence of Satan. I've known too many people of other beliefs and know of too many other beliefs which are so positive that I can't imagine that they would be negative or evil. I shudder to think what my life would be if I shut out those beliefs or those people.

For example?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]As before I cant really imagine how you would be drawn away from god if your beleifs in him are strong.

I’m pretty secure in my faith.

My being a Christians is not based upon emotional decisions. God gave us a brain, and we should use it. He provided tons of evidence for us to believe in Him, but there are many people who will either not look for the evidence or who will simply choose to reject it.

Also for the record, I have studied many other beliefs including Greek and Roman mythology, Catholicism, Islam, Buddhism, Wicca, Mormonism, and also Jehovah’s Witnesses beliefs. I actually took a critical thinking class in college several years ago in which we had to examine various culturals, religious beliefs, and political ideas. Since then I have also done quite a bit of research on my own. (but not even close to the amount of research my wife has done)

I won’t claim to know all there is to know about all of them, but I have gained some knowledge of them (some more than others). I have no fear of doing research on these beliefs, and I have no fear in discussing any of them with you.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Thanks for taking your time here. You've helped me to better understand your perspective and it is very beneficial to me. I apperciate that.

No problem.
biggrin.gif

Back