Nintendo 3DS pricing announced: 25,000 yen ($299 USD)

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
So the 3DS will cost 25,000 yen ($299 USD) at launch.

The news took my enthusiasm level down from "I will pre-order the second generation of this product" to "I'm going to wait until the price for this product drops drastically before I consider purchasing it."

It's already been said elsewhere, but it bears repeating: For $300, you can buy a Playstation 3.

So the 3DS will cost 25,000 yen ($299 USD) at launch.

The news took my enthusiasm level down from "I will pre-order the second generation of this product" to "I'm going to wait until the price for this product drops drastically before I consider purchasing it."

It's already been said elsewhere, but it bears repeating: For $300, you can buy a Playstation 3.

Yeah...that price is...yeah... :p No longer interested...lol

Lets see how much money we can milk out of 4-14 year olds, and 20-30 year olds wanting to relive the past..... Hmm lets try $300.... Wasn't the DS lite $129??????????

/waits to see what the PSP2 has in store
Judging by the first PSP, I can venture a guess:

Further disappointment.

Yeah...that price is...yeah... :p No longer interested...lol
Looking at the list of launch titles, I'm definitely still interested. Just not interested enough to drop three hundred bucks. I'll wait until the second generation (the same strategy worked quite well with the DS Lite) and a price drop.

Lets see how much money we can milk out of 4-14 year olds, and 20-30 year olds wanting to relive the past..... Hmm lets try $300.... Wasn't the DS lite $129??????????
Yes it was.

I was expecting a price point at or above $200, but anything past $249 elicits a, "That's right out" kind of response.

It's probably for the best. Nintendo tends to really shine with the second generation of any handheld (Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance SP, DS Lite).

Judging by the first PSP, I can venture a guess:

Further disappointment.

Only thing I enjoyed on the DS was probably Megaman ZX and Chrono Trigger. Everything else was either retreads or shovelware. Granted, PSP didn't have that many awesome games, but it had some unique gems (Jeanne D'Arc for instance).

Only thing I enjoyed on the DS was probably Megaman ZX and Chrono Trigger.
...Bwah? How many DS games have you played?

I'm going to resist the urge to compile a list of every DS game I've really enjoyed and just let general Internet consensus (DS has a stronger software library the the PSP) stand in for the list.

Also: PSP Go.

SLIGHTLY off topic, but does have to do with handhelds:

As far as I've read, rumor-wise, Sony-Ericsson are working on a smartphone/psp powered by the android OS. not sure if this has been shot down or still is "bwah? huh?" stages, but i'd hop right in line for that, ASSUMING it's done properly. one device in my pocket instead of two? yes plz

It's probably for the best. Nintendo tends to really shine with the second generation of any handheld (Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance SP, DS Lite).
Hate to be Mr. Technicality here, but this was fresh on my mind from thinking about it last night (not really sure why I was thinkin' about it). I'd call the Gameboy Pocket the second generation. GBC is more third generation... or first generation depending on how you look at it. (I tend to see GBC as its own gig since it could be GB games... but GB couldn't play GBC games... unlike Pocket, SP and Lite models which were simply redesigns.)

PSP Go can die in a fire.

/like his fat ol' PSP for all of three games

DS has Jump Ultimate Stars, by the way. Pretty much the sweetest thing ever.

/imported it forever ago

From what I understand this is just the Japanese price and Nintendo has had a tendency to price things a little lower here then in Japan. I could see this going for $249 or getting a pack in game at $299. Still more then I'd pay but you have to understand these 3d screens are new and going to be expensive until more devices start using them and bringing down the production costs.

PSP Go wasn't a joke, it was an experiment to see if people would actually "go" for digital media only. Gamers are a fickle bunch in this respect, and most of us still like our physical media. The double whammy was obviously the price. If Sony was smart (which they typically aren't, business-wise), they would have released a PSP 3K Lite with no UMD along with the go that was priced under the 3000. Then you have:
1) 3kLite - gamers buying no UMD due to less up-front cost, Sony wins in the end with digital sales and increases acceptance
2) PSP 3K - for those who loves them some UMDs
3) PSP Go - wouldn't have been panned nearly as badly if the 3k Lite existed, and it's hard to sell a fashion accessory when everyone hates it

Chances are this will slightly change over time, and Apple will release a well-timed iGame that is exactly like the PSP Go, but hailed as decades ahead of its time. Physical buttons will be nowhere to be found.

I've also seen that the long-fabled "psp phone" is looking like it'll take the form of an Android app, which is a pity.

Last edited:
Back