Obnoxious problem with (likely) new router.

Odale

Recently a lightning storm took out all the equipment in our house that was hooked to the cable.

I got a new router - a Belkin F6D4230-4 V1. I am currently renting or leasing... whatever a modem from Comcast - a Scientific Atlanta DPC2100R2.

This stuff never happened with my Old Linksys router or the old Linksys WRT160N I used:

-Webpages not loading correctly - Often times webpages will not load at all. When this happens I hit refresh once and the page loads instantly as it should have in the first place. When they do load sometimes the pictures are missing and when I hit refresh they may or may not show as they are supposed to.

- Random disconnects - This happens randomly and I cannot plan for when it happens. This happens either one or two ways: The little earth symbol (says internet next to it) on the router turns amber which means that the internet connection is dead. I then go to the modem and reset it. The other way is none of the lights on the router go amber and I just lose connection for 30 or so seconds...

VERY ANNOYING!!!!

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks yall -_-

Edit: I should note this is on a wired connection - not wireless.

Last edited:
I got a new Belkin because it was highly recommended by MaximumPC magazine. Mine is a Belkin Play Max Router. I had the same problems.

I haven't figured it out completely - but I solved the connection and web page download problems by disabling all the special features - now it is operating as just a router.

I intend to talk with the Belkin people and find out how to get it set up properly - but for now it is loading web pages and holding a connection.

If you haven't already, get the latest firmware for your router.

Unfortunately, your router is getting horribad reviews on newegg. Can you still return it?

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that.

My Belkin has been a wonder. We do all our TV/netflix online and it has been so much better for that than my DLink - and the range covers all over the house now.

I'd be curious about what you end up with.

Have you replaced the modem, or at least verified it is indeed the router? Chances are it's the router (Belkin stuff tends to be terrible), but I'd try going directly to the modem for a bit just to see if the problems persist.

I think I found everything so I can return it.

I am operating directly from the modem and whenever I go to a website, the page loads immediately, missing nothing.

It's the router.

If you cannot return your router - I had similar problems until I disabled the special features. Now it works better than fine. I think the problems were related to the channel switching and Windows 7.

Also - the Belkin comes with built in securities. Disabling that helped as well.

Exactly. I got mine because of the good review from Maximum PC. The fact that I am having problems leads me to believe I should know more about the setup that the router has a problem.

I just returned it and got a Linksys E1000 (for $60 at Microcenter, cost me $23... worth it imo).

It is working great.

I don't think I missed anything with the setup of the Belkin, though I do recall it having issues when I tried to run the setup CD.

Oh well.

Last edited:
I've almost never had a good experience with any additional software that comes with hardware. Routers, sound cards, etc don't require anything other than the drivers to work, so I usually leave these things out. Glad to hear you got it working!

A little late, but: I <3 my Linksys WRT54GL router, the 36-time winner of the Newegg Customer Choice Award for wireless routers. According to my wireless status page, I run DD-WRT v24-sp2 (09/08/09) std (SVN revision 12874) and broadcast two SSIDs (one for WPA2 for the main network, one for WEP for my DS Lite).

A little late, but: I <3 my Linksys WRT54GL router, the 36-time winner of the Newegg Customer Choice Award for wireless routers. According to my wireless status page, I run DD-WRT v24-sp2 (09/08/09) std (SVN revision 12874) and broadcast two SSIDs (one for WPA2 for the main network, one for WEP for my DS Lite).

Yup thats what I am still running. Although it currently has Tomato not DD-WRT on it.

My old WRT160N (may it rest in peace) ran DD-WRT on it as well. It worked great until nature got angry. -_-

I bought the second-cheapest Linksys wireless router I could find, have been using it for years, and have never had a problem!

Back