Official CGA Music Thread

redflameent

I thought I would start this off since I don't see one on the boards. What I want to do as a purpose for this is introduce others to music that you may not have heard. My opening question is what Christian bands do you guys listen to? How has the music effected or changed you? What gets you imn the mood for worship?

My answers for these are bands like Third Day, Skillet, Decypher Down, Red, Switchfoot

These bands give me an alternative to what I used to listen to and I feel spiritually charged when I hear them.

For worship, I find that Hillsong is one of the best. I like the songs toi have some kind of connection.

My listening habits have changed quite a bit in recent years (I must be getting old). . .

My primary band of choice in the past has been the violet burning. They are semi-local (Los Angeles) to me which made going to concerts fairly easy. I always respected the fact that they would offer to give their albums to listeners for free (at concerts) if the person in question was unable to afford it.

I might be considered derailing this thread, I might not...

The top 5 bands that I admire right now are Delirious, U2, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Collective Soul, and Project 86.

Each of these bands have a track record of earnestly seeking God, being blunt with what they've found, and proclaiming his messages when they know them.

Over the last, oh, twenty years, each band has had limited success in these endeavors and different points of their journeys, but they have also had the guts to say so when they are having those issues.

While not a Christian band, one of the most powerful bands around in my experience is The Protomen. They're a rock opera band with a consistent story running throughout their songs. I'm guessing some of you will go "wait a minute..." at the name. Yeah. The story is based on a reinterpretation of the Mega Man game series. Still, the story told, the emotionality behind, all speak of human condition, frailty, need for hope, need for courage, sin, consequence. It's... phenomenal.

The Act II: Father of Death album is a prequel/origins story, and the chief vocalist on that album has strong Johnny Cash vibe. Such. Amazingness. o_O

In the Christian band realm, I still hold Reese Roper, and Five Iron Frenzy in general, in the highest regard. Lyrics written ten or more years ago are still incredibly relevant, reverent, and powerful today.

Trevor McNevan's songwriting, and Thousand Foot Krutch in general, is probably my favorite currently active Christian band. Also much goodness.

Shout out to Demon Hunter, too.

I decided to look through my iTunes and see what pops up.

I love Christian Rock. One of my favorites is Third Day - I actually have a Third Day/U2 playlist. Recently I have been listening to a lot of The David Crowder Band - saw them in concert in Santa Rosa a couple of weeks ago.

Going back a ways - but I still enjoy them - are dc Talk and Newsboys. Their stuff still has a regular spot in my play history.

I listen to some more mellow groups - Jars of Clay and Mercy Me - even a little Hillsong when I feel a bit nostalgic.

Even further from Rock is wonderful bluegrasss. The Nitty Gritty Dirtband pulled together dozens of bluegrass biggies to make the two album set, Will the Circle Be Unbroken. Then there is a band called Seldom Scene and their best album, Baptizing.

Three other Christian bands I listen to regularly are Building 429, Lifehouse and Sunday Shoes.

Recently I have been listening to a lot of The David Crowder Band - saw them in concert in Santa Rosa a couple of weeks ago.

Dude are you kidding me?! Depending on how long ago that is I probably was there too, and if I wasn't, why the heck didn't you tell me!!! Santa Rosa is 20 minutes away, I totally would have loved to see David Crowder.

I'm with Abba when it comes to most of my Christian music. I get a lot of my music from KLOVE, so a lot of Casting Crowns, Mercy Me, Chris Tomlin, Matthew West, etc. I also love Delerious? ever since I saw them in concert about 5 year ago.

I always get excited when I hear The Power of Your Name by Lincoln Brewster come on either the radio or my iPod. The lyrics and music really get to me, it's a fun song.

I have a couple of Lincoln Brewster albums on my iTunes. I like his stuff. He is up in Granite Bay - in north Sacramento - maybe you can see him actually lead worship sometime. Our Praise Band is doing Today is the Day this weekend.

It was August 3 that we went to see The David Crowder Band - at the Wells Fargo Center there in Santa Rosa.

Last edited:
It was August 3 that we went to see The David Crowder Band - at the Wells Fargo Center there in Santa Rosa.

Nevermind, that is 10-15 minutes away from me, depending on if there's someone in front driving slow.

Back