On what do you base your Christianity?

How do you become a Christian?

• Just be a good person.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You must belong to a certain religion.

• You have to read your Bible and pray every day.

• You must go to church.

• Only those who do not break the 10 Commandments are Christians.

• Everyone is born a Christian.

• Total voters

Marcylene

Gen started a thread that is now 17 pages, 164 posts, and growing. It is said that, as a group, we don't agree on what being a Christian is. I know, when a poll shows otherwise, the argument will be that Christians in general do not agree...but here goes!
I would appreciate it if you could simply respond to the poll but post any comments here:
http://www.cgalliance.org/forums/showthread.php?p=124520&posted=1#post124520
as to not derail and unravel Gen's thread.
Thank ya'
Thank ya' very much!!

Hmm, what, EXACTLY, are you trying to prove here?

How many votes do you hope to get? How many Christians are there in the world? Do you think you'll get enough to get an accurate representation?

It was stated that the group here does not agree on what it means to be a Christian. I am aware that if I polled the world, each spot and then some would be filled. Your definition basically could be misinterpreted to mean that I am a Christian for no other reason than I firmly believe so, regardless of what I base my belief of what being a Christian means. We could put the word bird there and it would have the same meaning. I'm a bird!! Go on, say I am a bird!!! :)

It proves nothing of the population, which is the case of most samples, which can only be used to make inferences. We can make an inference from the results that we have, and that is, we (the people who use these forums) agree on a very fundamental pillar of christianity. Any differences after that amongst ourselves is probably nothing more then the cummulation of differences and the uniquenessess of each others life experiences and our own relationships with our Lord.

We aren't a bunch of robots, experiencing things the exact same way as everybody else. Think of your own friends in real life. Do you experience them the exact same way as everybody else who calls them a friend does? I know in real life I have friends who I enjoy going to sporting events with, but I don't go with them to the strip club. So I don't experience them same way as others do. And those who don't come with us to the hockey game can't say they experiences are the same either.

Does it matter what you base your belief on?

I think it's possible to believe in more than one of your poll options as well.

In response to post #4 *mumble*mean ole' naked mole rat*mumble*

I understand, GP and agree with you. There are so many factors in any census, probably #1 are people do not care to participate. This started as a joke to Eon and to get an idea of what we have been hearing in another thread. I contend that the majority of Christians that participate on these forums base their Salvation on the LORD Jesus Christ. (Let it be noted that the only vote we have contrary to that belief was selected by a non-Christian.) Yes, we disagree in many areas, (let's face it, it happens to be part of what makes these forums interesting), but I think we agree on that major fundamental fact.

DV, or course it matters!!! That is the whole point. Your definition is a bit gray, it seems to imply that I can be a Christian just because I say so, or that I could base it on anything imaginable that I choose to believe in. Unless we trust in Jesus as Saviour, we are in danger of hearing God tell us to depart from Him, He never knew us!

And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. Matthew 7:23

These people have done many wonderful works in the name of the LORD. However, they were not doing the sayings of God, namely believing on the Name of the LORD and accepting His free gift of Salvation.

While there may be three or four that you will see a Christian live by, for salvation those who are Christian are believing in Jesus alone. True, that those who are not saved may take on several views and believe that they are saved and on their way to Heaven. Without Jesus, the Bible tell us it just ain't so!

Dark Virtue said:

Of course its possible to believe in more then the options of the poll, I for instance, believe in gravity.

lol I personally believe that GP is a silly ole' bear...err, I mean, tiger, that can make me giggle first thing in the morn'! :)

DV, the poll asked on what members based their Christianity/what it takes to become a Christian. Basically, no matter how many options we may choose, there are only two:

Salvation = Grace by Faith in Jesus Christ and His shed blood as the Lamb of God

salvation = works, another gray area here could consist of Jesus + something that I can do to save myself. No matter how you slice it, or what method you follow, this basically puts me as a god, trusting in myself.

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Not of works, lest any man should boast. Ephesians 2:8 & 9

Gods_Peon said:
Of course its possible to believe in more then the options of the poll, I for instance, believe in gravity.

R E A D S L O W L Y

I said, "I think it's possible to believe in more than one of your poll options as well."

I didn't say it was possible to believe in more than just the options in the poll.

See the difference.

For example: One can believe that "the LORD Jesus Christ as your Saviour" AND believe that "You must go to church" in order to be a Christian.

Dark Virtue said:
I think it's possible to believe in more than one of your poll options as well
Not only is it possible, it is running rampant! The New Age Movement, would have us believe that we can believe in anything that we want to believe! Sound confusing? Yea, it is, because it is straight from the author of confusion! Some are following this movement without realization. In effect, they may believe Jesus was Crucified, but with or without Him, they seem to take a potpourri of beliefs. It almost seems as if they are trying to cover every base. The Bible tells us that there is only one way to Salvation. We must trust Jesus and Him alone. If we add anything to Him, we are not fully trusting in Him. For me, this would seem a wonderful place to insert logic and reasoning...no, make that let's add something Godly, let us add wisdom. Would the Creator of the Universe leave His Heavenly Throne, come to earth, live as a poor man, then die the most horrible death known to man, if it were not necessary? No, and He tells us, there is only one way to Salvation.

That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; Ephesians 4:14

Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. Acts 4:12

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. John 14:6

Dark Virtue said:
Hmm, what, EXACTLY, are you trying to prove here?

How many votes do you hope to get? How many Christians are there in the world? Do you think you'll get enough to get an accurate representation?

Jeez, she just wants to know.:mad: And Christianity, Mr. Dark, is the world's second largest religion (I'm pretty sure), next to Islam

Dark Virtue said:

Are you, by any chance, Ratrap99 on CCGR? I'm curious.

Anyway... yes it does. There's ONE way to Heaven: Jesus.

:eek: it's true! :eek: *passes out*

Seriously, though, it is possible to believe more than one, however, that doesn't mean it's right.

ChickenSoup said:
Jeez, she just wants to know.:mad: And Christianity, Mr. Dark, is the world's second largest religion (I'm pretty sure), next to Islam

That's Mr. VIRTUE to you :)

You may want to check your figures on that, especially when you only look at the "true" Christians.

ChickenSoup said:
Are you, by any chance, Ratrap99 on CCGR? I'm curious.

Anyway... yes it does. There's ONE way to Heaven: Jesus.

:eek: it's true! :eek: *passes out*

Seriously, though, it is possible to believe more than one, however, that doesn't mean it's right.

No, I am neither of those people.

Would you mind being more specific when you say JESUS? What exactly does that mean?

Apparently there are 2.1 billion Christians in the world, making them the largest official denomination. But the figures are incredibly vague and that does mean lumping some worst enemies together in the same category.

Personally I feel that at least you can't put Catholics and Protestants in as 'Christians' at the very least.

And as DV says, once you start considering TRUE Christians that number dwindles. Maybe to 34 or something similar... ;)

Dark Virtue said:
No, I am neither of those people.

Would you mind being more specific when you say JESUS? What exactly does that mean?

Um... how hard is it, really? Jesus Christ that died on the cross for our sins, of course.

Well you are making it quite a bit difficult.

JESUS isn't a verb.

Do you mean to say that by merely CHOOSING Jesus as your lord and savior, you are "saved" and a "true Christian"?

Please notice that I ask SPECIFIC questions because I like having SPECIFIC answers. There are WAY too many grey areas here.

Back