Rap, sex, parents, co-opting gamer culture, etc...

I'll have a lot of reading to do to catch up on some of the threads when I get off work later this afternoon, but as far as a general decline in culture as a whole it is very evident (to me, anyhow). I live in a place where at one of my old jobs I was sent home and suspended for telling a gay waiter to PLEASE not talk about "how much more sex he gets than any straight guy he knows" around me, just because, come on, that's honestly the last thing i wanna hear when I'm cooking AT WORK. I have also been thrown out of a writing class I was taking for offending some girl with my stances on abortion because of a comment I made about "how about being resposible if you're going to sleep around?"**A bit of a long story, feel free to ask about it sometime :)**

Well I worked in a kitchen and there is alot of discussion on sex, would u have told a guy who was talking about having straight sex the same thing.
And as for abortion, its a writing class u have a right to take a stance on any topic. Different topic but I don't think I would ever get a gf to have a abortion, but if she decided to get one I would support her. I think its your right to have the choice.

You do have a point, I probably wouldn't have made a comment, and I reckon that makes me a hypocrite. But I have been told by everyone I have worked with at one time or another to shut up about the Bible because it offends people apparently when I do.

Well religion is a hard topic to talk about in the work enviroment, because everyone has their own views on the subject. I guess it depends on how well u know your co workers, at my work place I sometimes shoot thoughts at a couple fellow employees because they also work at a catholic school and one of them teaches bible study. But some people don't want to talk about it and thats fine. I guess if would preach to me and try to convert me I would get upset, but if u want to discuss it it would be cool.
Going back to the subject I was just thinking about how a few weeks ago I was reading the stuff sexiest women of the year issue (I guess not reading) with a friend and one of the guys at work who is a christian didn't like it and left the room. And I was thinking about what he would of done if he worked at the place a year ago before I started working there and a guy used to bring in Hustler, Penthouse etc. etc. (which I guess changed when girls started working in the same place, even though they don't mind).
But I guess everyone was raised differently.
That was my rant, sry about that. :)

Gandhi said:
Well u can't really put sex, drugs and murder in the same catagory. Any type of sex that doesn't hurt someone is fine in my book. Drugs, well I'm in vancouver where our mayor is going to parliment to legalize pot and tax it. And I'm pro marijuana person. I think its not as addicting as crystal meth and lsd or alcohol and tobaco. Murder is wrong because u're takingsomeone's life away, and no one has the right to do that (there are exceptions but won't go in to that).
Well I'll finish this later gtg, and no I don't find anything u wrote rude. Its a forum we're all entitled to our own personal opinions. :)

Well that is my point really, in regards to the marijuana/alcohol issue. In America, we as a society will openly embrace any drug that has been mandated by doctors and scientists for treatment of ailments, even if these treatments have side effects such as health problems, death etc...but because of the way that society views the plant (associated with a degraded lifestyle) we deem it unacceptable, although in many studies it has been shown that it is far less dangerous than alchohol (which many people die from every year, I know I live in a college town). So why does society here accept alcohol but reject marijuana (lets just say for medical treatment as I am not condoning a stoner lifestyle...but I am trying to make a point)? This is the heart of the matter....society is dictating to us what is wrong and right. We openly embrace much of the collective views that go unquestioned because of mainstream philosophy. What about the use of our planet? Society says it's 'OK' to basically destroy our planet (although thankfully in many instances we are realizing our folly), but is it really 'OK'?

You might consider murder wrong, but what if trends in society began to dictate that it was 'OK'. What then? And it is not beyond the range of possibility.

Back