Read any good books lately?

Captain_Tea

I have preordered the new Kindle Touch that will be coming out in November. Do you folks have any good books that you would recommend? I have downloaded tons of the old free classic books. I intend to get the Lord of the Rings books. I already have the Chronicles of Narnia in paperback so i'm not sure if i'll get the kindle edition or not.

"The Street Lawyer" by John Grisham was great.

About a man's transformation from a greedy cold-hearted lawyer, into a selfless man who becomes a champion for the homeless.

Two sites that may interest you.

The first is eReaderIq (http://www.ereaderiq.com/) it shows not only the free books available for the Kindle, but also allows you to plug in a list and your email address and it will inform you when they drop in price.

The second is Baen's WebScription.net These are DRM free books, and they have versions for all readers, as well as a large selection of free books in their Free Library.

Since you listed fantasy books and great authors I'd recommend 'Out of the Silent Planet' by Lewis. It is a fantastic trilogy.

"The Street Lawyer" by John Grisham was great.

About a man's transformation from a greedy cold-hearted lawyer, into a selfless man who becomes a champion for the homeless.

Sounds like a good story :).

The first is eReaderIq (http://www.ereaderiq.com/) it shows not only the free books available for the Kindle, but also allows you to plug in a list and your email address and it will inform you when they drop in price.

The second is Baen's WebScription.net These are DRM free books, and they have versions for all readers, as well as a large selection of free books in their Free Library.

Those do sound interesting.

Since you listed fantasy books and great authors I'd recommend 'Out of the Silent Planet' by Lewis. It is a fantastic trilogy.

I do enjoy fantasy and science fiction. They are my favorite genre's. I don't think i've ever heard of the 'Out of the Silent Planet' series. I will check it out. Thanks.

I do enjoy fantasy and science fiction. They are my favorite genre's. I don't think i've ever heard of the 'Out of the Silent Planet' series. I will check it out. Thanks.
I believe it is called "The Space Trilogy" of which "Out of the Silent Planet" is the first book. I have them lying around the house somewhere. . .

I personally liked the Earthsea books by Ursula Le Guin.

I also have a special place in my heart for the Prydain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander even though they are written for a younger audience and I can chug through each of the books in about a day.

Wow, thanks for these pointers. I've found quite a few interesting titles for free. Some of them I've been happy with, others were serious letdowns.

From the eReaderIQ, I'd suggest trying to find Imaginary Jesus by Matt Mikalatos (or something like that). I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Almost anything by Orson Scott Card - Ender's Game - Enchantment - Past-Watch - even the Alvin Journeyman series is interesting.

Currently reading and still loving the heck out of Game of Thrones. Political drama, battles of lords, conspiracies, and general awesomeness all in a fantasy setting. So good.

Just got the Night Elf Trilogy (aka Legend of Drizzt books 1-3) in today. Forgotten Realms/D&D. Gonna go read it now. :O

Got going on, A Rumor of War by Philip Caputo, first published in 1977, then reprinted in 1996. First hand account of the first Marines to go fight in Vietnam. Later Philip Caputo came back as a war correspondent in the final days of the conflict. It is an intense account of one of the most divisive wars in our history. And it softens none of the harsh realities of a war that was unlike any we fought before. I served during that period, and was blessed in never having to go to Vietnam, but I had to deal with funerals of those who came back in boxes. And I had more than a few friends who never came back mentally whole. It will make you ask more than a few questions about war, and it's current necessity in Iraq, and Afghanistan. And Obama just sent 100 troops to Central Africa to deal with the problems there. A good thoughtful read.

Currently reading and still loving the heck out of Game of Thrones. Political drama, battles of lords, conspiracies, and general awesomeness all in a fantasy setting. So good.
A Game of Thrones is excellent (albeit not something you'd want a young child to read).

A Clash of Kings is very good.

A Storm of Swords is okay.

Just like with A Wheel of Time, I'd recommend stopping after the third book and reading plot summaries of the remainder of the series.

A Feast for Crows tends to drag on.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through A Dance With Dragons and I'm not planning to read any more books in the series. I'll read plot summaries to find out what happens to my favorite characters, but the "mature" elements that set the first book apart from most "sanitized" fantasy epics have grown tiresome and repetitive, the plot is spread across too many characters and those characters' pieces of the overarching story seem to proceed at a snail's pace, and I've lost interest.

Again, the first three books are well-written, but once Martin split his characters across two books (most of the events in A Feast for Crows and A Dance With Dragons run in chronological parallel), the story slowed drastically.

Yes, Martin is a very talented writer, but so was Robert Jordan and I dropped the Wheel of Time series after the sixth or seventh book (I don't recall exactly which). Martin and Jordan aren't alone in the trend, either; Tad Williams has a similar gift for writing and a similar nasty habit of drawing things out.

Just as Frank Herbert's Dune is a fantastic book but I warn people the remainder of the series doesn't live up to the promise of the first, I recommend ducking out after the third book of A Song of Ice and Fire.

The Myth series by Robert Aspirin, older but wonderful series full of awful puns, and very, very funny. And if you can still stomach a few puns after that go for the Xanth series by Piers Anthony.

I'd agree with Tek's evaluation of A Song of Ice and Fire. I've read all that are out (through Dragons).

I enjoyed the story but there was too much crassness for me to recommend it to anyone. I got to where I could skip over most of the "scenes" that popped up - but still had to deal with bits of language from certain characters.

I am a bit tired of the story never resolving itself after five books...and I have read 20 book series and not been bored.

I enjoyed the story but there was too much crassness for me to recommend it to anyone. I got to where I could skip over most of the "scenes" that popped up - but still had to deal with bits of language from certain characters.

I am a bit tired of the story never resolving itself after five books...and I have read 20 book series and not been bored.
Abba San just summed up in 3 sentences what it took me half a page to express.

Well done, sir.

I am currently about ½ way through "The Door to December" by Dean Koontz and enjoying it very much.

"Lightning" by Dean Koontz is one of his best.

Both books are relatively PG13-ish.

I also really enjoyed Phantoms, Intensity, and The Hideaway also by Koontz, although they can be a bit grisly at times.

My girlfriend has been reading the "Hush Hush" books by Becca Fitzgerald I think it was. Also the "Hunger Games", not sure of the author though. Personally I've been meaning to reading this copy of "The Language of Science and Faith" by Karl W. Giberson and Francis Collins.

Tad Williams has a similar gift for writing and a similar nasty habit of drawing things out.

I really like Tad Williams. Always sad when a book ends.

I'm reading Pearl in the Sand by Tessa Afshar. It's a novel about Rahab. Of course it's just a novel since not much is said about her life beyond the few scriptures written in the Bible. So far it's really good. Just about to begin ch. 4.

Back