Scout update coming Feb 24

Yeah, the bonk drink definitely isn't an invulnerably, since there is a Retire the Runner achievement it looks like you need to kill a scout under the influence of the drink.

Yeah I hate for it to be an invulnerability so you are probably right about it being just for sentries. That was the suggested application in the forums. Still I didn't like the idea then nor now because sentries are supposed to be the hard counter for scouts. What I said then was how are you going to keep scouts out of your intel room on 2fort? You'd have to set up in the intel room directly and that's boring as everything.

Last edited:
i can't tell you how excited i am. the scout has always been my favorite class... :D
oh boy. I am sooooo excited.

and btw... is there a hint that the soldier will be the next class updated? look at the picture of the scout hitting the soldier with a baseball... what does the soldier have in his hand? http://www.teamfortress.com/scoutupdate/sandman.htm

My guess is that it will have an extremely long reuse time. Like once every life or something similar. To use your 2fort reference, setting up in the intel room would probably actual be bad. If he has several seconds of the ability to outrun setries he could just sprint in grab it and sprint out. However if you place it in the door between respawn and the ramp room you have a big advantage in the fact that after using it he has to get back past the sentry. I think that will function as a good counter to the ability on CTF maps, but I'm not sure what effect it will have on CP maps.

What I said then was how are you going to keep scouts out of your intel room on 2fort? You'd have to set up in the intel room directly and that's boring as everything.
There's a good chance that an amped-up Scout won't be able to pick up the intel, just as an ubercharged player can't pick up the intel and a Medic can not ubercharge a player carrying the intel.

Since the question Valve asked was how to make Scouts more useful on command point, not capture the flag, maps, I wouldn't be surprised if this ability was canceled by picking up the intel.

My guess is that it will have an extremely long reuse time. Like once every life or something similar. To use your 2fort reference, setting up in the intel room would probably actual be bad. If he has several seconds of the ability to outrun setries he could just sprint in grab it and sprint out. However if you place it in the door between respawn and the ramp room you have a big advantage in the fact that after using it he has to get back past the sentry. I think that will function as a good counter to the ability on CTF maps, but I'm not sure what effect it will have on CP maps.

Yeah placing it there would probably work but it's still boring as everything being down there. In general Valve is going to have to address the "being bored as an Engineer" thing when they update him. Having played in so many 2fort pubs I think it's only won when enough people get bored with being engy, maybe sg avoidance won't be so bad if it can negate the 6 hour 2fort games -_-. Still I'm going to find it annoying as all get out that scouts can get past sgs as I think of the sg as his counter. Plus first the pyro gets almost instant kills from behind and now the scout can get behind enemy lines, stop taking the spy's jobs other classes T_T :p.

There's a good chance that an amped-up Scout won't be able to pick up the intel, just as an ubercharged player can't pick up the intel and a Medic can not ubercharge a player carrying the intel.

Since the question Valve asked was how to make Scouts more useful on command point, not capture the flag, maps, I wouldn't be surprised if this ability was canceled by picking up the intel.

Hopefully true but that still won't stop a scout from going down to the intel room on 2fort. It's a lot easier to get out with the intel than in given you can outrun any sg placed in front of the spawn room and drop down the grate (I am only talking about avoiding sg's not people though). I know because I've done it as a spy... repeatedly :p. You can only cover both stairways with one sg if you are keeping people going down them not coming up from them and even then it is if'y.

Last edited:
If you read through the achievements they mention an item called the Force-A-Nature (The achievement is to kill 50 enemies from behind with it so obviously it is some kind of weapon). Another one of the achievement suggests it will have some form of knockback.

Also I never play arena and one of the achievements mentions a first blood crit buff? Is this something already in the game or is that new?

EDIT: The description for cp_egypt says that "Classes with the ability to ascend rapidly (Soldiers, Demomen, and Scouts using the new scattergun unlockable ) have lots of options for traversing the arenas." I wonder if this means the scout is going to have some form of rocket jump or similar? If that add that it could really change the dynamic of some maps.

Last edited:
Like it or hate it the scout definitely seems to be getting some changes that will effect his game play abilities. We played cp_egypt before on one of our custom map nights. I have to say I like it better than junction because of it's unique visual design although cp_steel still remains my favorite community map to be made official so far.

Mondays announcement http://www.teamfortress.com/scoutupdate/force-a-nature.htm (I am just not as fast a spammer as Keero with me putting Monday's announcement up on Tuesday :p)

I wonder what they mean by asking which to release first. I am hoping they just mean which is awarded first from the achievements because I thought the whole Scout update released today.

Hmm if the Force of Nature has knockback will this allow people to effectively lengthen their jumps? If so what couldn't you just use technique instead of double jumping thus allowing usage of the sandman all the time effectively negating use of the metal bat? We will just have to wait and see!

It seems like most of the new weapon upgrades for TF2 have been user ideas so far. Also if you look at some weapons like Natasha and the Backburner they aren't new models they are just the old models with parts stuck on them (look through the sdk and you can see). Valve seems to be saving a buck whenever they can, not that I mind as long as the result is good.

Last edited:
Ooook anyone remember the exact time other updates occurred because it's 6:00pm central on the 24th and no scoutupdate. They haven't even updated their site yet with what the final unlock is (though it's probably that map that was in the background of one picture). The last updates fell on the weekend but I thought this one was supposed to occur today :/. <in a scout voice> I'm freak'in out here! </in a scout voice> :p

Last edited:
I am starting to wonder if this update might not happen today. You would think they would have at least updated the website by now, but who knows. It is Valve after all.

Give it another 2 hours. They updated around 5 PM Alaskan. >__>

It's 1950 here, and still no update. Is anyone else thinking that this isn't the best update they've put out?

Back