Sonic Colors breaks the Sonic Cycle

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
Believe me, I'm as surprised about this as you are.

Sega has shoved its mascot character into so many wretched games over the past dozen or so years that the phrase "good Sonic game" may as well be akin to saying "don't touch that fire; it'll freeze your hand." Yet here I am, trying to make the muscles in my hands type the words, "Sonic ... Colors ... is ... is ... good." Not just good for Sonic, but good good.
Source: Sonic Colors review: A bolt from the blue

Yeeesss.

Correction: Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure on the DS was gaming bliss (well, the story was horrid, but still).

Correction: Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure on the DS was gaming bliss (well, the story was horrid, but still).
I had the Sonic Rush games in mind when posting this, but was feeling lazy and decided not to add any more to the quote than my one-word expression of happiness.

But yes, the Rush games were great. Every Sonic game between Rush Adventure and Colors (including Sonic 4), though? Not so much.

What is this? A (console) Sonic game that doesn't suck? /shock
Believe it. Sonic Colors currently has a score of 79 on Metacritic and some of the lower scores sound like they come from qq reviewers who just want to keep playing Sonic 2 and pretend they're a kid or teenager still. It's no longer 1992 and it never will be again.

But yes, the Rush games were great. Every Sonic game between Rush Adventure and Colors (including Sonic 4), though? Not so much.
And here I was, thinking that I was the only person who wasn't all about that Sonic 4. To be fair, I only played the demo, but I was totally underwhelmed. It just didn't feel right.

Made me sad. After Mega Man 9 and 10 being so good, I was hoping that Sonic 4 would recapture the magic... but it didn't even capture my attention.

And here I was, thinking that I was the only person who wasn't all about that Sonic 4.
It's definitely not just you. The game felt buggy, awkward, and unfinished.

Made me sad. After Mega Man 9 and 10 being so good, I was hoping that Sonic 4 would recapture the magic... but it didn't even capture my attention.
Mega Man 9 was amazing. I can't remember the last time beating a game felt so rewarding. Granted, MM9 kicked my rear every step of the way, but I still won out in the end.

Back