Sony loves console gamers

Kendrik

Staff member
( Thread title seemed necessary to go along with the Microsoft thread of similar name. :p )

Sony released Playstation 3 firmware 4.45 for a short time last night. A couple hours after its release, it was pulled.

Here's to hoping none of you updated your PS3 in the short time the update was available, or that your system is still working just fine if you did.

Why? Some of us who downloaded and ran the update in order to use the system suddenly found our systems inoperable. Though Sony is still investigating the matter, it's clear that something in update rendered many systems functionally non-functional.

Joystiq, Destructoid, and even Forbes, along with pretty much everyone else out there, are reporting on this.

The highest concentration of the affected seems to be those with large hard drive upgrades, but there are plenty of reports of stock systems also being affected (as well as reports of those with the large hard drive upgrades working just fine since the update).

With the update having been pulled, you shouldn't have any problems if you don't have them already. Here's to hoping Sony finds the problem and releases a fix sooner than later.

Unfortunately, a fix won't bring back the contents of my hard drive that were likely formatted into oblivion when safe mode continually declared that it was corrupted during restoration attempts. Ouch. Most of my saves (though not all) should be on cloud storage, but that's still a massive amount of downloading I'll have to do again to rebuild my Plus-powered digital collection.

1348624291733.jpg

Last edited:
Really hoping that my PS3 is fine when I get home from work. I'll be a bit aggravated if Playstation Plus downloaded and installed it for me automatically...

Since the consoles affected can still get to safe mode, which offers the ability to manually update the firmware from a USB device, it's my hopeful guess that there won't be a need to replace any systems that have been messed up; still holding out that Sony will release a downloadable solution.

Hoping your system is just fine when you get home, Japesland! I'd say the chances are in your favor that it will be fine. Even though this is a very real problem, it doesn't seem to be near epidemic levels. It's just frustrating for those affected by it.

Good to hear. Hopefully nobody else around here got hit by unexpected side-effects of the update either.

It makes me laugh that this thread has no one complaining on it but if it would have been an Xbox it would have had 300 replies about why Microsoft sucks. And conspiracy theories about how they did it to push people into buying the new console.

Ooh. Forgot to post an update for anyone interested. Thanks for bumping the thread, legitnoob!

Sony has found the problem and will be releasing the fix on Thursday. Here's the Joystiq post and official Sony forum update thread on the matter. How the actual implementation will work has not yet been explained. Best guess is a downloadable fix, placed a USB drive, that can be installed from safe mode's update firmware option.

I definitely wish my Playstation were back in operation sooner than that, but there's nothing I can do about it. Bummer that this bad patch got released, but I'm glad that, in the scheme of things, it hardly came close to epidemic proportions. Seems like I'm the only one on the forum who was affected by it.

Ur welcome! I'm sorry ur playstation got effected! Hope you weren't ready to play the last of us, bc I probably would have just broke the thing if that was the case lol!

I rented it borrowed my friends playstation, since I sold mine a while back. Couldn't play it bc all I had was the component cable and the place I was playing it at didn't have any hdmi!!! Oh I was sad

Back