Stop, Drop and Roll don't work in HELL!

Dark Virtue

That's was what was plastered all across the back of a pickup truck rear window that I came across yesteday on my ride home. Underneath that was written Destination: Heaven.

The driver looked a little perturbed when I gave her a questioning look.

What exactly do Christians hope to get from displays like this?

I know, I know, she probably wasn't a TRUE Christian, right? :p

Dark Virtue said:
That's was what was plastered all across the back of a pickup truck rear window that I came across yesteday on my ride home. Underneath that was written Destination: Heaven.

The driver looked a little perturbed when I gave her a questioning look.

What exactly do Christians hope to get from displays like this?

I know, I know, she probably wasn't a TRUE Christian, right? :p

sigh...true Christian again...lol

DV this 'display' in and of itself has nothing to do with the womans salvation. What it says is entirely true about hell!

I don't put displays on my vehicle. But I don't see anything inherently wrong with it.

She probably gave you a perturbed look because she thought you were hitting on her:D

silent worship said:
What do you think a true christian is?

silent worship there is a huge thread on that topic a few lines down. It went off topic several pages ago though...

Didasko said:
sigh...true Christian again...lol

DV this 'display' in and of itself has nothing to do with the womans salvation. What it says is entirely true about hell!

I don't put displays on my vehicle. But I don't see anything inherently wrong with it.

She probably gave you a perturbed look because she thought you were hitting on her:D

EWWW, that's gross, you didn't see her :p

You don't see anything wrong with that at all? Seems a bit over the top to me.

Hey, it worked for the Puritans during The Great Awakening. Somebody needs to make a bumper sticker that shows a spider being held over a fire.

Hmm...I was going to ask what people thought about blatant public displays of faith, and what it means for the perception of the lost when a believer who displays their faith loud and proud stumbles in front of everyone in a new thread. If I do this though, it could possibly create two threads that could end up heading the same direction. If I ask the question here, I could be derailing DV's thread, in fact, I already have by openly considering it in a post. My apologies, DV.

Go for it, my threads never stay on topic anyway :)

Can you explain what you mean about stumbling in front of everyone?

You mean like Jimmy Swaggart?

Well, I suppose a pretty common example could be taken from the situation you spoke of when you started this thread. What if a car with this bumper sticker, or more commonly, an icthus, cuts someone off in traffic? On the other side, what if say, for instance, the car with the icthus is slighted, and in response the "Christian driver" flips off the offender?

I suppose the situations are endless. I was just curious as to what everyone thought as to the impact this has on those who don't believe when they see Christians sinning while loudly declaring their faith.

On a side note: What really scares me is those stickers that say "I'm not perfect, just FORGIVEN." While this completely true of every believer out there, it sort of seems like a license or certificate to slide a little, and be slightly less careful in regards to emulating Christ.

So for those who do believe in Christ, what's your take on this? For those of you who are agnostic, atheist, or of another ideology, what's your take? Does this further reinforce for you the idea that Christians are a bunch of pretentious hypocrites?

Last edited:
Well, a lot of Christians ARE pretentious hypocrites, I think. I had to decide a long time ago that I was going to accept Christianity on its own merits instead of how other people live it out.

IceBladePOD said:
Well, I suppose a pretty common example could be taken from the situation you spoke of when you started this thread. What if a car with this bumper sticker, or more commonly, an icthus, cuts someone off in traffic? On the other side, what if say, for instance, the car with the icthus is slighted, and in response the "Christian driver" flips off the offender?

I suppose the situations are endless. I was just curious as to what everyone thought as to the impact this has on those who don't believe when they see Christians sinning while loudly declaring their faith.

On a side note: What really scares me is those stickers that say "I'm not perfect, just FORGIVEN." While this completely true of every believer out there, it sort of seems like a license or certificate to slide a little, and be slightly less careful in regards to emulating Christ.

So for those who do believe in Christ, what's your take on this? For those of you who are agnostic, atheist, or of another ideology, what's your take? Does this further reinforce for you the idea that Christians are a bunch of pretentious hypocrites?

YES, that would definately make me think HYPOCRITE.

I wasn't either.

Besides, it wasn't a joke now was it?
no, them making a joke of Hell is just as funny as someone yelling "Bomb" on an airplane. Makes me mad
I was just curious as to what everyone thought as to the impact this has on those who don't believe when they see Christians sinning while loudly declaring their faith.
declaring thier faith, or declaring thier ignorance on the seriousness of the situation? When they meet God face to face on the last day, its going to be greatly embarassing.

When Christ talked about living differently I don't believe he meant makeing a sub Christian culture. We have our bumper stickers, our tee-shirts, our music. Its all junk. Talk all you want, advertise whatever you want, I'll believe you by your actions.

Quote:
I wasn't either.

Besides, it wasn't a joke now was it?
no, them making a joke of Hell is just as funny as someone yelling "Bomb" on an airplane. Makes me mad

That joke didn't make me laugh but you guys are making ME laugh. :p

Anyway, there is a fineline between those two mindsets which relate to being forgiven. I believe the same as some of us. Someone said that "some people drive people away from christianity, more than the demons could hopefor". LOl. I see that alot. I find myself thinking more about how many misinterpretations there are about christianity now adays. There's too many... lol

Master~Plan said:

declaring thier faith, or declaring thier ignorance on the seriousness of the situation? When they meet God face to face on the last day, its going to be greatly embarassing.

When Christ talked about living differently I don't believe he meant makeing a sub Christian culture. We have our bumper stickers, our tee-shirts, our music. Its all junk. Talk all you want, advertise whatever you want, I'll believe you by your actions.

Where do you draw the line though? At the Stop, Drop and Roll window? Jesus bumper stickers? WWJD bracelets? Fish emblems on your car?

I see nothing wrong with having Christian symbols or sayings on your car. If you do, you have a responsibility to set a good example. Of course we have that responsibility anyway, just not enough people take it seriously.

Last edited:
Where do you draw the line though? At the Stop, Drop and Roll window? Jesus bumper stickers? WWJD bracelets? Fish emblems on your car?
I don't know, I really try to ignore all of it. I would much rather talk to people, than get into a Darwin Christian fish flashing logo contest. When you see people's thoughts shared through symbols, its very impersonal and people aren't as understanding/sincere as if you talk them in person. Thats why this forum gets the best of me sometimes, but I like the deep thought involved.

Back