SW:TOR goes F2P!

Stc95

Tribe of Judah Guild Wars Chapter Leader
Just a matter of time before it happened.. and here we go. Free-to-play Star Wars: The Old Republic, the crippled version. Here's a list of what F2P players can and can't do vrs. subscribers. I wasn't able to find a date, but it says this fall.

Last edited:
I'll be sure to create an account and download the client.

...then play for half an hour and never touch it again.

I'm pretty much the worst MMO player ever. haha

I try to keep up with industry trends and even after reading all the news about SWTOR subscriber numbers taking a nosedive and BioWare's many blunders with the game, I didn't expect them to introduce a hybrid F2P model this soon. Then again, I didn't know they'd dropped below a million subscribers.

I still won't play it since (1) never really feeling like I own a game takes away from the experience for me (understanding that it doesn't for others; maybe I'm just too old fashioned) and (2) Guild Wars 2. GW2 uses a pay-once-and-we-hope-you-buy-expansions model, which I strongly prefer to the F2P model. GW2 is also shaping up to be immensely popular among ToJ members at launch.

But to all those who take SWTOR for a spin when it goes F2P, remember that the CGA features excellent Christian guilds (Saints of the Old Republic and Tribe of Judah's Called to the Light and Called from Darkness) for SWTOR!

Last edited:
I try to keep up with industry trends and even after reading all the news about SWTOR subscriber numbers taking a nosedive and BioWare's many blunders with the game, I didn't expect them to introduce a hybrid F2P model this soon. Then again, I didn't know they'd dropped below a million subscribers.

I still won't play it since (1) never really feeling like I own a game takes away from the experience for me (understanding that it doesn't for others; maybe I'm just too old fashioned) and (2) Guild Wars 2. GW2 uses a pay-once-and-we-hope-you-buy-expansions model, which I strongly prefer to the F2P model. GW2 is also shaping up to be immensely popular among ToJ members at launch.

But to all those who take SWTOR for a spin when it goes F2P, remember that the CGA features excellent Christian guilds (Saints of the Old Republic and Tribe of Judah's Called to the Light and Called from Darkness) for SWTOR!

Not BioWare, EA just took one of their smaller branch companies and slapped BioWare on it for name recognition. And seeing as how EA's stock is crashing hard I'm not suprised about the news at all.

From what I've heard you can F2P it until you hit 50... then you run into the crippled part. You can only do a max of 3 warzones (battlegrounds) per day, looking for group is not included in F2P, and if I recall correctly you cannot raid.

I got really excited about this game before its launch and EA/Bioware totally failed to deliver. The game isn't worth paying for so it's beyond me why anyone would want to play a crippled version of the game.

I got really excited about this game before its launch and EA/Bioware totally failed to deliver. The game isn't worth paying for so it's beyond me why anyone would want to play a crippled version of the game.

Same. I was a total Bioware devotee until they botched ME3 and TOR. Pre-ordered both ME3 and TOR. Glad I got ME3, bummed a little I bought TOR. If GW2 wasn't coming out in 24 days, I would play the F2P TOR until something else caught my attention, if just to be in the Star Wars Universe a bit and relive my ongoing childhood.

Here's hoping a SOLELY Bioware KOTOR 3 is on the drawing board!

Back