T-Minus One hour

blackgravity

3pm Eastern, USA-Canada for the gold medal.

Let's do this!

Best of luck to both teams.

Who's watchin?

And let me just say:

0a0b56c4-b020-df11-94b3-001cc494dda6_original.jpg

LET'S KEEP IT CIVIL WHEN MILLER GETS THE SHUTOUT

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

So did Canada own the podium or whatever like they said they would? :p

Actually, the better question is: will they party like the women did? XD

When I saw the pictures of the Canadian women hockey team with a beer in one hand and a stogy in the other, I was very proud, except those pictures where they were holding American beer. That was in poor taste. Regardless, I cracked a beer with them. The taste was bittersweet, just like all good beers.

Did Canada own the podium?

Now lets see what happens in two years in England!

GO CANADA!!!!

That's just stupid, they should have been eliminated the first time we beat them, you don't get a second chance at the super bowl if you lose in the playoffs...

I watched the game. It was exciting and me and my dad thoroughly enjoyed it, but we hate losing. I've never seen a team so upset at winning silver :p

Both teams played exceptionally well, and that was the funnest hockey I've ever watched. And, the way I look at it, I have 4 Gold medals and 1 Silver medal. :)

The only pictures I saw of the Canadian women's team they were drinking Molson out of wine bottles......

HOWEVER

Luongo gave up so many rebounds, I can't believe there was nobody there to capitalize on any of them except one.

Such a good game. Canada earned it, even though...ugh...Sidney Crosby....I just don't like him.

But Rick Nash has a gold medal now.

And really, USA, great job. For a team nobody thought would win/play for a medal, you did us proud. There's no shame in being the world's second best.

That's just stupid, they should have been eliminated the first time we beat them, you don't get a second chance at the super bowl if you lose in the playoffs...

Wasn't the playoffs dude. If you want to compare it to football, then consider it part of regulation games. Your win ultimately bought you a buy into the quarterfinals while Canada had to go on and win an extra game to get into the finals.

Wasn't the playoffs dude. If you want to compare it to football, then consider it part of regulation games. Your win ultimately bought you a buy into the quarterfinals while Canada had to go on and win an extra game to get into the finals.

I think what Sarugon was saying was that the Olympics is similar to the Super Bowl in regards to their importance in the world of sports.

I think what Sarugon was saying was that the Olympics is similar to the Super Bowl in regards to their importance in the world of sports.

But that is not what he said. He said if you loose in the playoffs, you don't get a crack at the super bowl. But the round robin tourny is more akin to the regular season then the playoff season. There are many teams who have lost in the regular NFL season who went on to win the Super Bowl. A perfect season is not a requirement to win the prize. For the prize, you need to win the right games. Sadly, the USA did not win the right game against Canada. It may have cost the US by winning the round robin game because it gave Canada an extra game to get play together that the USA did not get.

Sorry, my first message probably came off as a bit harsh. I was merely trying to state how I thought a double elimination system doesn't make much sense compared to a single elimination one, you should be out the first time you lose. What Odale said about how I compared it to the Super Bowl was correct, though maybe it wasn't the best analogy.

But it isn't double elimination. It was round robin for a spot in the finals.

Last edited:
I was misinformed then, my mistake.

It seems every Olympics they change how they do it. This year there were 12 teams. They were split up into 3 groups of 4. Each team played in the round robin games versus those in their group. So each team played 3 round robin games. The top 4 would move on to the quarterfinals while the bottom eight would each play a do or die game to play in the quarter finals. The first first Canada \ US game was one of the round robin games which happened to be the game that would determine if Canada would move get a buy into the quarter finals. I think had the USA lost, they still would have moved into the quarter finals, don't quote me on that, I'm not entirely sure.

Back