The 360 vs. a PC

Depends on the game. Sports games I prefere the 360. FPS, RPG's, and RTS's, I prefere the PC. I've yet to find a sports game that works out well on the PC in comparison to a console version.

Cory

Hmm...You have made an interesting point...Sports games are fun on the Wii, but I prefer PS2 for sports...

Let's face it, the question really leaves a lot of loopholes for one being better than the other. What's the spec of the PC in question? What kind of games does the person like to play? What kind of PC? To ask a few...

PC -- X360
greater cost -- less cost
backwards compatible -- backwards compatible w/ most games
keyboard + mouse -- wireless controllers
upgradeable -- not upgradeable (for the most part)
video usually on monitor -- video usually on TV
internet capable -- internet capable
Instant messenger\email -- instant messenger/email through MSN
voice communication possible -- voice communication possible
part goes bad\easy to replace -- part goes bad\send in to Microsoft
lots of games -- lots of games

Let's face it, they both have pros and cons depending on the person they're intended for. I'd say I like to prefer playing on my PC for certain types of games (FPS, RTS) but prefer my X360 for other types (RPG, Sports)....however I do enjoy some FPS game son X360 such as Halo3, Bioshock, and Gears of War while also enjoying RPG type games on my PC. If I couldn't have both I would probably side with my PC based upon functionality and the ability to upgrade over time. However, since I have both i will continue to bathe in the luxury of playing each as I see fit. :D

I'd say that it depends on the style of game. RTS, FPS, MMO those kinds of games (if you ask me) really belong on a PC, they just work better on it. But if you want to play a Platformer or an RPG (turn based RPG like Final Fantasy that is) or a sports game, those really belong on a console (although I still don't really understand playing sports games, the way I see it, if you want to play a sport then go out and do it...unless it's Hockey or Boxing or something that can't be done in a local park).

I'd say that it depends on the style of game. RTS, FPS, MMO those kinds of games (if you ask me) really belong on a PC, they just work better on it. But if you want to play a Platformer or an RPG (turn based RPG that is) or a sports game, those really belong on a console (although I still don't really understand playing sports games, the way I see it, if you want to play a sport then go out and do it...unless it's Hockey or Boxing or something that can't be done in a local park).

honestly i get tired of making sports game "more real" because its a game....... thats why i love STREET games, their so much fun ^_^

now that makes sense, playing sports games that are COMPLETELY unrealistic, those can be lots of fun, that's why I loved playing the tony hawk series or the SSX games.

now that makes sense, playing sports games that are COMPLETELY unrealistic, those can be lots of fun, that's why I loved playing the tony hawk series or the SSX games.

Exactly, theres no way a PC can fully replicate the experience of Cool Borders series, Tony Hawk, NFL Blitz, Blitzball >.>

off topic: im so gonna be Hughes when i grow up :D

There's a few things to consider:
  • Install base. Many people already own computers capable of playing at least older games (Counter-Strike, Starcraft, Peggle, etc.). You have several hundred times more PCs in America than Xbox 360s--because PCs do several hundred times things more than X360s.
  • The Red Ring of Death. TRRoD decimated the average consumer's faith in the reliability of the Xbox 360 hardware. I had hoped to buy one in the distant future, after Namco released SoulCalibur IV, but changed my plans (distant as they were) after TRRoD came to light (pun intended).
  • Keyboard + mouse > controller. I've been playing FPS games since Doom. I've had people say, "You get used to Halo's controls," but I'm so annoyed with the game after 5 minutes that I don't really care. Give me a keyboard, a mouse, and a quality FPS, and I'm good to go.
  • Back Catalog. Sure, you can play games as old as Halo 1 on your Xbox 360, but I can load DOSBox and play King's Quest 6 on my PC. Throw in emulation and you've added several thousand games to play on a PC. Chrono Trigger, anyone?
Now if SoulCalibur IV rocks as hard as I think it will AND if Microsoft can get their act together in time to fix the hardware that never should have slipped through QA (I'm skeptical), I may get a X360.

And say what you want to about games like Halo 3 (which, I admit is pretty, but has controls more awkward than a 13-year old asking his friend's sister to the prom); I think the coolest thing about the 360 is Xbox Live. If I ever do pick up a 360, the first thing I'm buying on Xbox Live is Super Puzzle Fighter II HD.

EDIT: Yes, sports games are better on consoles. Or so I've heard. Personally, I wouldn't know.

You can upgrade a PC and you can do your school, social networks, Programmings, chat, watch youtube videos, games, etc. on a xbox 360 all you can do is chat, play games, watch a few videos in the marketplace thing.

My point is...I am not blowing $300 on something made by MS when I can go out and blow $300 on an awesome new videocard that would give me endless possibilities...unlike the 360 which gives you the only option: gaming...I am sorry, but the other features that it tries mimicking a PC just makes it more pitiful...

Depends on the game. Sports games I prefere the 360. FPS, RPG's, and RTS's, I prefere the PC. I've yet to find a sports game that works out well on the PC in comparison to a console version.

Cory

I have noticed that as well, i loved that football game on my gamecube. but then when i tried playing some soccer game on my PC it was so lame. but i do play a Snowboard game on my PC that works pretty well.

Back