War in iraq

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And just how do you know that?
Well for one thing Osma Bin Laden considers Saddam to be his enemy. Saddam is a secular leader, he has Christians and other non muslims in his commanding ranks. Osama wants the governments in the middle east to be similar to the Taliban was in Afghanistan or Iran, where the religion and the state are one. Osama would love to see Saddam removed from power. This along with the fact that there has been no evidence put foreward linking Saddam in any way is how I know.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It's OUR war pal. And what "scare" tactics is he using?
I'm sorry, but why is this our war? We are we the ones who have the task of changing any regime we find dislikable? As for the scare tactics, I think its obvious just from you guys posting on this forum, he has managed to make you think you are in danger from Iraq, when Iraq has no history of Aggression towards the United States and has no real motive to attack us. That my friend is clear plain and simple scare tactics.

It's our war because we started it, based on a history of strained relations with Iraq, and intelligence on weapons they have been hiding. I think that now, since it has begun, and it is going to be finished, that it's better to speculate the good and bad points of what the outcome will be, rather than dwell on how else it might have turned out.

I saw something on the news that said the US bombed what they believed to be a camp used by Islamic extremists.

If that is true, then their ARE terrorists in Iraq.

I for one was very much against this war, I think that if we had a president that was better at negotiations, we might not have to be doing this the way it ended up. I will agree Sadam is an evil man and should have been removed from power many, many years ago. The genocide that has gone on in his country under his command, isn't as bad as what milosovich did but he should stand trial for it. The U.N. should have acted long before it got this far.

As for the chemical weapons that Iraq has, how many of you know that it was the U.S. that gave him most of them for testing in the 1980's? I guess it could be said that we created this war 20+ years ago, it just took us a while to get here.

The war has started, the time for debating it is over. We must support our troops that are fighting even if we disagree with our commander in cheif. I've got friends over there and I pray that God will keep them safe.

As for the extremist camp, it wasn't al quada, but a group that probably is tied to them. There are terrorists in Iraq, just probably small cells.

Cory

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Thaddius @ Mar. 22 2003,3:38)]As for the chemical weapons that Iraq has, how many of you know that it was the U.S. that gave him most of them for testing in the 1980's?  I guess it could be said that we created this war 20+ years ago, it just took us a while to get here.
Yup, and now we are fixing it.

"Well for one thing Osma Bin Laden considers Saddam to be his enemy. Saddam is a secular leader, he has Christians and other non muslims in his commanding ranks. Osama wants the governments in the middle east to be similar to the Taliban was in Afghanistan or Iran, where the religion and the state are one. Osama would love to see Saddam removed from power. This along with the fact that there has been no evidence put foreward linking Saddam in any way is how I know."

Oh come on, are you that naive? Osama will take any help he can get. If Sadam said to him, I want to help you and provide weapons, do ytou think Osama would say no?

"I'm sorry, but why is this our war? We are we the ones who have the task of changing any regime we find dislikable?"

EXCUSE me Mr. Leftist, it's my war, and the war of every person concerned about the safety of the world and this country.

"As for the scare tactics, I think its obvious just from you guys posting on this forum, he has managed to make you think you are in danger from Iraq, when Iraq has no history of Aggression towards the United States and has no real motive to attack us. That my friend is clear plain and simple scare tactics."

Oh...h..h..I'm trembling...

And he didn't manage to make me feel we're in danger from Iraq, I made me feel we're in danger from Iraq. Do you think all bush supporters cling to every word he says like he's God? Like you and others cling to the media to make you feel like this war is wrong?

We're in danger from Iraq? Since when? When did this hap....ohhhhh. WE're FINALLY going to war. Or is it already over by now? Props to you in the service, like MaxX.
I rarely listen to speeches. I was forced to hear the one by Powell about weapons blah blah found in Iraq. School thing. So boring. And had to watch Bush's latest speech with parents. COuldn't get out of it. They're dull and bore me. They don't reassure me or place doubt in my mind. I do that myself. Bush is one thing to me: a dude in a suit. So far he's done nothing to affect my standing as an American. My everyday actions weren't limited by Bill Clinton, except for some hilarity on SNL. Bush right now is no different.
I'm glad he's our President. I'm glad he's not a pansy and is anxious to get this over. I don't want a long war and all that good stuff. Geez. America is a general pansy. To have someone make us motivate is, as Bill and Ted would say, most excellent.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]As for the scare tactics, I think its obvious just from you guys posting on this forum, he has managed to make you think you are in danger from Iraq, when Iraq has no history of Aggression towards the United States and has no real motive to attack us. That my friend is clear plain and simple scare tactics.

Gassing an entire village is scare tactics.  Stating what you believe is truth, however, is not.  If President Bush has reason to believe that there is a threat brewing in Iraq that has to be addressed, we may have to trust him whether we want to or not.  He does have more access to information than we do afterall.  There is something I see here that is very interesting.  I remember shortly after the tragic events of 9/11, people were saying things along the lines of "Bush knew something was going to happen".  Ok, now Bush is saying "I think something might happen here", and those same people are telling him not to do anything about it.

Furthermore, Iraq might not be a visible military threat to the US, but neither is Al Queda.  You don't have to be a military threat if you can get a guy to blow himself up and take 60+ people with him.  Isn't Saddam the guy who was paying the families of suicide bombers in Isreal a good sum of money for their actions?

Before I continue, I want to state that I'm pretty well on the fence on this issue, but I'm tired of a lot of the arguments that I'm hearing at these peace rallies that are full of holes.  For example, the weapon of choice seems to be the "war for oil" line.  Hey, if it was a war for oil, than why didn't the US seize control of it in 1991 when they had the chance?  Weren't the protestors using the same line back then too?  Also, what about the other countries that support the US?  Does Britain want this oil too?  What about Kuwait?  I mean seriously, use your head!

Oddly enough, I seem to be thinking along similar lines of Eon.  I don't like the way this was handled diplomatically.  I think President Bush was too aggressive in the early stages, and didn't go to the UN until the Democrats started pressuring him to do so.  I'm also worried about the fallout of the war.  Will there be more terrorist attacks in the US, or against our buddies, the British?  Or even my home turf of Canada?

I notice that most anti-terrorist action has become precautionary these days. This includes the war with Iraq. They're one of th greatest threats. All we can do is block the attacks that we can, roll with the ones that we can't, and put an end to repeat events by kicking one arse at a time for each one.

It's not about diplomacy, or getting the rest of the world's "permission" to defend ourselves through preemptive strikes. how much talking do you think Saddam would do before launching a chemical attack on us? How much talking was done before the September 11th attack? How much talking is going to be done negotiating how many people will die in the next one?

Like Patton said many years ago, you don't win a war by dying for your country, you win it by making the enemy die for his. We won't win a war against terrorism, or anything, for that matter, by talking it out. The only negotiations that we should be partaking in are negotiations for our enemies' surrender, if an enemy are left to negotiate with.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]This includes the war with Iraq. They're one of th greatest threats.
I disagree, what reason have you to believe Iraq is a threat to us?
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]how much talking do you think Saddam would do before launching a chemical attack on us?
I don't think he would attack at all actually. In fact I'm pretty sure he wouldn't. There is no motivation whatsoever for Saddam, a totally different situation from Muslim extremists such as Osama Bin Laden. Saddam is motivated by power, why would he give up everything just to kill a few Americans? He isn't motivated by strong religious fanatiscism.

He may not be motivated by religious fanaticism, but that is not the only thing that can makea man dangerous. It's likely he's bluffing, but he seems to be under the impression that our troops will be driven out of Iraq, and that he will win the war. We COULD just accept that as a bluff, OR we could guess that, in a position like this, where he has little to lose, he would take drastic action.

Look back on history. Changes in power, removal of tyrants, justice for millions slaughtered, was all won by wars. Peace cannot happen as consistently any other way. Talking works at keeping things calm for a while, i.e., the last 12 years since the gulf war, but in the end, the only thing that can end the tension is a well-placed bullet. It's a sad thing, but until someone finds a cure for human nature, and totally elimintes the possibility of having bad people, violence will be necessary until the end of time for the greater good.

We can discuss non violent methods to deal with Sadam, but in the end they will never work.

There was a madman back in the 40s who reminds me very much of Sadam... His name was Adolph Hitler. Looking back, I think every one of us would agree that Hitler HAD be dealt with. At the time, however, it wasn't Americas' War was it? But if we hadn't gotten involved, our world would look very different today.

Hitler massacred millions. Sadam, has also massacred over 2 million people. Hitler was warned repeatedly and ignored those warnings. Sadam has also been warned by the UN repeatedly, but the UN refuses to act as Sadam ignores them.

He must be dealt with. I don't know how any clear thinking individual can say with any shred of truth that Sadam is no threat to us.

The facts are:
-He has weapons of mass destruction.
-He is supportive of terrorist organizations, even of some of you refuse to believe he is associated with Osama.
-He despises the United States
-He is a madman, proven by his actions over the last 20 years.

The threat is real, not imagined.

President Bush is an incredible president, and I believe his faith is a large part of that. The comment he made before the war started very much gives us insight as to his reasons for the war. Bush said, "I would rather fight this war with our Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines in Iraq, then fight the war with Policeman, Fireman, and Doctors here in our country."

War is terrible, there is no doubt. War however, is sometimes neccesary for the greater good.

"The pen is mightier then the sword.... If you can gouge out your enemies eyes out with it." -unknown

"The pen is mightier than the sword only when your enemy is willing to accept its words." -Me

For everything else, there's 7.62 AP rounds.

Hitler came to power in the first place because people were too eager and ready to jump into a war. World War Two was really just a continuation of WW I. Read some of the philosiphy behind nonviolence, mainly Ghandi sometime. There really is good evidence and reasoning behind it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]He must be dealt with. I don't know how any clear thinking individual can say with any shred of truth that Sadam is no threat to us.
You keep saying that but you dont offer any evidence or reasoning behind it. Saying "if u dont agree u are teh suck" really doesn't prove anything.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hitler came to power in the first place because people were too eager and ready to jump into a war. World War Two was really just a continuation of WW I.

Actually, I don't think that's correct.  If you do some research into Hitler's rise to power it had to do with his promises to the German people, not anxiousness to jump into a war.  Actually, people's reluctance to attack him led to his relative easy take over of much of Europe.

Bringing up WW2 is an interesting thing. I was visiting relatives this past week and talking to my grandfather, he pointed out that the things going on in the world today are very, very similar to what went on before WW2.

As much as I have disagreed with this war, I do have to admit I would rather see us involved now than rather let Sadamm turn into another hitler....war is never a good thing. I am admiting I was wrong.

Cory

Back