[Weekly - W] Now Playing

"Old people," eh? Does that mean I might be able to rack up another 20 player kill streak with Pharah? :D

Not that I'd be able to play at 9 a.m. Central, anyway. :/
possibly. or at least not deal with 12 year olds and rage kings as often :)

Yeah so Pokemon go and Final Fantasy EX have been my little Grinders here and there

I did just finish Warcraft 3 reign of Chaos. I played one and two on an old Mac years ago, but I hadn't had a chance to finish all of three. So I just started the Frozen Throne... Part of me after this one's to get a wow subscription to try and play through all of the story alone.

Heavy Arms has been not sleeping as much for his morning nap so that has been a little bit challenging.

What's a games? Spectre-6 arrived Friday morning. He's doing very well, and we're adjusting to new pattern of living again. But, for the moment, gaming has pretty much fallen off the map.

Got about 10 minutes of Minecraft (on my tablet) in on the Realm I set up for my siblings and our spouses. I think that's about it.

Expecting this week to yield slightly more time, but not a ton. lol

Still Puzzle & Dragons.

Some Hollow Knight. Wanted to quit for a while after losing about 3,000 Geo permanently, but stuck with it and already back up to about 2,000 Geo after some more exploring and knocking a mini-boss off his bench. :>

I think I played Persona 5 this week? Or maybe that was last week? /shrug

Played the Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate demo for the 3DS. I know the MH franchise is popular and there are good reasons, but MH is just not clicking for me. At all. Was playing through the demo and kept wondering, "Is it over yet?" I dunno, maybe I'm just missing something here.

I don't think I've gotten any gaming in over the last week. I went to boot up Zelda (Link to the Past) at one point, but the opportunity disappeared as suddenly as it appeared. Alas!

Finally pulled the trigger and bought a Switch last week. Sold some old gaming kit to pay for the hardware (paid only tax outta pocket), then splurged to buy myself Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild at a price-matched $45. Hooboy.

The hardware is positively smashing. I didn't realize how badly I wanted handheld mode until I found myself able to play Zelda while my wife and her mom watched the Musketeers. haha

And so far, Zelda is top notch. Absolutely gorgeous, and it plays even better. Loving the exploration and openness of it all. The shrine mini-dungeons have been a treat, each one so far requiring use of (and sometimes combinations of) mechanics. Haven't played a tooooon, but keep wanting to play more.

I also picked up Hollow Knight while it was $10 (and paid only $9 thanks to buying it with an eShop gift card I bought through Raise). Worth every penny even if I would have paid $15 for it. Game is a Metroidvania treat. Also hard to put down.

And sometime last week, before picking my Switch up on Sunday, I managed to find time to clear a dungeon in A Link to the Past. Still a great Zelda even decades later.

Still Puzzle & Dragons.

Things are ramping up in Hollow Knight. I feel like I made it over the hump when I collected a certain upgrade (being extra careful to not post anything even resembling a spoiler out of respect for @Kendrik), but some of the bosses have still kicked my butt. Nevertheless, I'm getting stronger and I'm making headway! I'd estimate I'm 75% of the way through the game now and I'm very eager to see what comes next.

Played the Mega Man 11 demo on the Switch this last week. The game is, without a doubt, faithful to the franchise: an unforgiving platformer with tight level design and classic "Nintendo hard" difficulty. This is the kind of experience I would have thrown myself into a decade ago. But I'm in a very different season of life and I can't justify spending limited gaming time playing the same sections of a level over and over again until I finally get it right.

<rant>

As much as it pains me to say it, Hollow Knight may be my last "high difficulty/spend 5-10 minutes running back from a checkpoint every time you want to retry a boss until you figure out its attack patterns and how to respond and can actually win the fight/possibly masochistic" game I play. I know there are difficulty options lower than Normal, but I just can't bring myself to drop the difficulty yet. I mean, what's even the point of a Mega Man game if it's easy? Is that even still a Mega Man game?

</rant>

Still hoping to get back to Persona 5 soon and tackle the boss in the second Palace.

Oh goodness, I'm realizing I haven't touched The Talos Principle in weeks.

Too many fantastic games. Not enough free time. #GamerDad

So! Mostly Zelda. Breath of the Wild is easily in the list of top Zeldas for me, and definitely has potential to be on my top games in general list. There's definitely some clear indication of "You need to go beat Ganon and save us all!" as all Zeldas tend to be, and there are generally some level of "you should go here to progress!" elements. But I'm at a point now where I know I need to accomplish certain major goals before I can finish the game, along with a dozen or so "figure out these things" goals, but with absolutely minimal guidance on what any of that looks like.

Honestly, the game feels more like a huge, modern original Legend of Zelda than any other game in the series. I absolutely love it. Hooboy.

Also some Hollow Knight. Game is great. Making progress, I think. Unfortunately, things like "goals" seem to be missing. I'm not actually sure what I'm trying to accomplish in the game, and there's a definite lack of hand-holding in figuring out where to go next. But no complaints. Figuring it out just by pushing through and letting new powerups open new areas as a Metroidvania should. Game is gorgeous and challenging, but never seeming unfair. Just hard.

Aaaand played through the Mega Man 11 demo, which is definitely all I hoped it could be. Great design. Great visual direction that is both true to the franchise's history and actively belongs on modern consoles. Top notch boss battle. Took me a few tries to get to the boss. Then a couple tries to beat the boss. The new Double Gear system is great too. Can't wait for the full game in a few weeks.

Still Puzzle & Dragons.

So! Mostly Zelda. Breath of the Wild is easily in the list of top Zeldas for me, and definitely has potential to be on my top games in general list. There's definitely some clear indication of "You need to go beat Ganon and save us all!" as all Zeldas tend to be, and there are generally some level of "you should go here to progress!" elements. But I'm at a point now where I know I need to accomplish certain major goals before I can finish the game, along with a dozen or so "figure out these things" goals, but with absolutely minimal guidance on what any of that looks like.

Honestly, the game feels more like a huge, modern original Legend of Zelda than any other game in the series. I absolutely love it. Hooboy.
So much <3 for Breath of the Wild. BotW and A Link Between Worlds are my favorite Zelda games ever, though I'll always have a soft spot for Twilight Princess (the very first Zelda game I finish, which I know may shock some of you) and the DS games. The Wii U remaster of Wind Waker was so much fun, too.

All this talk of Zelda makes me want to start a fresh playthrough of BotW or ALBW, but I need to finish at least once game before starting a new one. Speaking of which...

Also some Hollow Knight. Game is great. Making progress, I think. Unfortunately, things like "goals" seem to be missing. I'm not actually sure what I'm trying to accomplish in the game, and there's a definite lack of hand-holding in figuring out where to go next. But no complaints. Figuring it out just by pushing through and letting new powerups open new areas as a Metroidvania should. Game is gorgeous and challenging, but never seeming unfair. Just hard.
Hollow Knight is easily one of the hardest Metroidvania games I've ever played and took some time to grow on me, especially since the overwhelming praise heaped on the game set my expectations so high.

I resisted taking notes until about midway through (I think it was roughly midway through) and I wish I had been taking notes from the start. The map markers are a worthwhile purchase, but notes (I used Google Keep on my phone) are a huge help.

And I think I already said this in Discord, but my other advice is: Don't be so stingy with your Geo. I've lost almost 10,000 Geo by dying before getting back to my Shade (3,000 + 2,700 + 3,100) and it stings A LOT every time. Don't be above hitting that Home button, quitting the game, and loading your save to avoid losing thousands of Geo. Or spend it. That's what it's there for.

I believe I'm nearing the end of Hollow Knight and I purchased a Pro Controller in anticipation of the final battles. The Joycons have carried me through this far, but I've been wanting a Pro Controller since I bought the Switch last June and the glowing reviews, including @BananaGirl's, finally inspired me to take the plunge. The controller is charged up and ready to go in the other room, so I'm going to cut this post short(-ish). :D

My birthday gift money picked up Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on sale. Got to play it with my wife last week. One of a handful of times we've gotten to game together since having kids. Was nice. Game is top notch. I actually rather like the motion controls and enjoy the added comfort of the wheel shell attachment.

Sold some stuff to Gamestop finally and picked up PowerA's Mario-themed wired controller. It lacks rumble and gyro, but also cost me $21 on clearance at Target, so sacrifices were made. The controller is pretty comfortable. No regrets at all. Was especially nice when playing more Hollow Knight, where I've finally unlocked some really helpful stuff.

Also played more Zelda. I think I've opened up a good chunk of the map at this point. Still haven't made a lot of progress on main quest due to exploration and the whole "welp, go figure it out yourself" of the game design. Both of these points I love, so that's not a complaint at all. It's nice to have a clear end-game goal, and a handful of known sub-goals to achieve that, but getting from zero to hero feels really good.

Shroud of the Avatar is still my main MMO at the moment, though I'm also occasionally logging to Everquest 1 for research purposes.

For single-player games, it's Surviving Mars and Daggerfall for personal gameplay and a chaotic random smattering of DS/3DS games for interface testing.

I BEAT THE FINAL BOSS IN HOLLOW KNIGHT LAST SATURDAY! HUZZAH!

That was one of the most difficult boss fights in any game I've ever played. And I've been playing video games since 1985.

While I enjoyed much, if not most, of Hollow Knight, the experience cemented my decision to step away from extremely difficult games. I'm in a very different season of life than when I beat Mega Man 9 less than a week after its release years ago.

Hollow Knight will be my last "Nintendo hard" game, barring a sequel (to Hollow Knight). I do not plan on purchasing or playing Mega Man 11, even though I acknowledge it looks and feels like a very well-made game. I played the demo shortly after it released on the Switch eShop, failed to even reach the boss after 4-6 attempts, and decided to call it quits.

Moving on to other games, I'm still playing Puzzle & Dragons.

I pre-registered for Dragalia Lost and I'm looking forward to the launch tomorrow.

I played a few levels of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker on the Wii U on a whim. I guess it's because it recently released on the Switch and 3DS and I wanted to take another look at it? It's a fun game, but I wish I could disable the gyro controls. As it stands, it's great in small doses.

With Hollow Knight behind me, I'm starting Axiom Verge. (Technically, I'm picking up where I left off, but I was only about 10-15 minutes in to the game. I wanted to finish Hollow Knight before I started another game.) I played about 20 minutes tonight.

Last edited:
Congrats on finishing Hollow Knight. Was gonna work on it tonight--internet is dead, so can't play any games online as desired--but may have to take Spectre-6 for a "now go to sleep!" drive momentarily.

Tried out Paladins on Switch. Game plays great in handheld mode, which means it's gonna get a bit of love. I definitely like the game. Rumor of its cousin, Smite, coming Switch side is super exciting to me. But I tried out just-released Arena of Valor on Switch, and it finally gives me a traditional MOBA with direct/not clickityclickclick controls. I'm so excited to play more.

...when my internet isn't dead.

Played more games in quantity than quality, which is to say I haven't gamed much this week despite multiple games named. Spent more time in the shop, building a farmhouse style bench for the kitchen table. It's riddled with imperfections, but it's my first project of its kind. So, I'm satisfied with "okay enough," but really want to build another with improved techniques and materials. Wish I could use better tools too, but those cost money I don't have. Will just have to use the tools I have in better ways.

IMG_20180926_160731130.jpg

i have to say im disappointed in you kenny, Always paint the grass, less you have to mow. :D And if you want to talk about basic woodworking with less than desirable tools, poke me :D

Kendrik, I think that is a wonderfully impressive first attempt at woodwork! Like everything, trying new stuff has a learning curve. You learn more as you go! I'd love to have something like that! Keep up the good work! :cool:

Thanks for the kindness. Happy to report that my dad and I (my parents are here for a long weekend from Florida to meet my second son and participate in the deduction of both at church) were able to both sit on it with zero fear of it breaking between us. Our combined weight is in excess of 450lbs. I consider that a definite success!

Have had little game time in the last week between family being here, life being life, and having a big interview yesterday morning that meant not being able to risk sleep time on Tuesday. But, last night, I finally got to play some Mega Man 11. Pre-purchased it a couple of weeks ago. Didn't play for long, only long enough to take a couple of stabs at beating the Block Man level again this side of beating it in the demo. I didn't succeed. Starting at 10pm when my day started with driving at 6am probably didn't help. Oh well. Game's great. I see what I need to do to best it. I just need to be alert enough to best it.

Also splurged on Overcooked while it was on sale since it was a day one addition to my Switch wish list and I had the money on my eShop account anyway. Played the first mission solo. It's fun. But really wanting to somehow manage to have time to game with my wife so we can play it together.

...I think that's it. haha

Warframe (but slowly losing interest again)
Shadow of War (97% done - I think I have one more defense left but I need to level my army before I attempt it)

Just tried Ring of Elysium with my brother (instead of our usual PUBG). Personally, I found it more enjoyable. It felt like a more comfortable shooter (less recoil I'm guessing) which translated into longer life and more frags for me. Having a little breathing room at the beginning was nice too. I enjoyed it enough to play a couple rounds by myself. . .

Back