What am I now, religiously?

SLNT_FIR said:
Going OUT of the religious discussion box, i'm thinking along more the lines of why most people DO NOT accept christianity or they stay outside of it for awhile.

I strongly believe that most of the time people do not know what being a christian is LIKE or they have their own personal views about being a christian from the outside, and see either it is a worse, or is nothing better. However, as my signature says, there isn't such thing as a christian without passion. Most people that I find that used to be christians, were exposed to church, but their church was either spiritually dead - important topic, but notime to type more - or they simply themselves lacked passion at the time, and then believed that the christian life was nothing more than some religion. (it is, but i'm talking in a differnet context)

Unfortunately, your sig is wrong, there ARE Christians without passion.

Arkanjel said:
Trusting in Jesus is a lot like jumping out of a plane with a parachute on.

Not exactly.

It's more like this...you expect me to jump out of an airplane and tell me there's a parachute on my back. When I reach up to feel the ripcord, I can't touch it or see it. Nor can I see the chute on my back. Instead, I'm supposed to trust you that it's there.

But hey, you're going to push me out of the plane anyway right, so why not just believe it's there? After all, what do I have to lose?

Dark Virtue said:
Not exactly.

It's more like this...you expect me to jump out of an airplane and tell me there's a parachute on my back. When I reach up to feel the ripcord, I can't touch it or see it. Nor can I see the chute on my back. Instead, I'm supposed to trust you that it's there.

But hey, you're going to push me out of the plane anyway right, so why not just believe it's there? After all, what do I have to lose?

I have to add something here... Even if you could see the chute and feel the ripcord, there is still no guarantee the chute will open when you go to pull on it. You have to trust that your chute is in good working order and that it was packed properly by the one who packed your chute (after-all you can't pack your own chute without a license).

So just like in skydiving, Christianity demands faith.

Ok. I think this parachute metaphor is beginning to lose its effectiveness.

In response to:
Unfortunately, your sig is wrong, there ARE Christians without passion.

It's figurative. Obviously they are Christian, this is more erm, I don't know how to say it. But you may or may not understand what it means. I do know what I mean. :p

And BACK ON TOPIC:
Why don't you think that with the evidence there is, there is not enough "reason" to take an take a jump into one of the two categories?

Sure there is conflicting evidence, but you do you think that some of the evidence is genuine? Obviously much of it is either false, or is still FUZZY *as in still being discussed/argued*, but not 100% of evidence is able to be reasonably refuted.

Same goes the otherway, just to acknowledge the other side. Why are you afraid? Not being reasonable? I think that you must be willing to take some risks, but while taking those risks you must be able to change your opinion while maintaining some sort of "hindsight/viewpoint" which will enable you to make the right decesion.

(but you must make sure this isn't too biased either way OR you must make sure that your viewpoint isn't too easily swayed. as always, a fine line.)

Check this out and let us know your results:

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html

My top three matches were:
Nontheist (100%)
Secular Humanism (98%)
Unitarian Universalism (94%)

It may not be a perfect representation of you, but it may give you a good indicator for you.

1. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (100%)
2. Bah�'� Faith (97%)
3. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (97%)
4. Unitarian Universalism (97%)
5. Theravada Buddhism (93%)
6. Liberal Quakers (88%)
7. Jehovah's Witness (82%)
8. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (75%)
9. Jainism (75%)
10. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (73%)
11. Sikhism (72%)
12. Hinduism (66%)
13. Nontheist (64%)
14. Secular Humanism (64%)
15. Mahayana Buddhism (57%)
16. Neo-Pagan (57%)
17. Taoism (57%)
18. Orthodox Quaker (43%)
19. Seventh Day Adventist (43%)
20. Islam (37%)
21. Orthodox Judaism (37%)
22. New Thought (28%)
23. Reform Judaism (28%)
24. New Age (27%)
25. Eastern Orthodox (23%)
26. Roman Catholic (23%)
27. Scientology (19%)

I have 27, LOL! So what does this all mean, for me?

James said:
I have to add something here... Even if you could see the chute and feel the ripcord, there is still no guarantee the chute will open when you go to pull on it. You have to trust that your chute is in good working order and that it was packed properly by the one who packed your chute (after-all you can't pack your own chute without a license).

So just like in skydiving, Christianity demands faith.

Excellent point.

HOWEVER, being able to see the chute and the ripcord, actually interacting with the instructor and watching the chute being packed goes a LONG way into believing the chute will open when you pull the cord.

Now, if you want to be technical, if this was your first jump, you wouldn't go it alone, would you? Wouldn't it be tandem?

NOW you're not only asking me to believe there's a chute and a ripchord, but ALSO an instructor tied to my back. All of which can't be percieved by any of my senses. Above that, you are telling me the instructor looks one way and packed my chute a particular way while the plane is full of people telling me differeing stories about the instructor and chute I can't see.

And I should believe you why?

SLNT_FIR said:

LOL because I used it against you?

In response to:

It's figurative. Obviously they are Christian, this is more erm, I don't know how to say it. But you may or may not understand what it means. I do know what I mean. :p

You may as well not understand what it means. What good is it to you if you can't explain it to someone else?

And BACK ON TOPIC:
Why don't you think that with the evidence there is, there is not enough "reason" to take an take a jump into one of the two categories?

Because it's not EVIDENCE. It's a subjective interpretation of something you WANT to believe in, it's not objective.

Sure there is conflicting evidence, but you do you think that some of the evidence is genuine? Obviously much of it is either false, or is still FUZZY *as in still being discussed/argued*, but not 100% of evidence is able to be reasonably refuted.

You have yet to tell me what this "evidence" is.

Same goes the otherway, just to acknowledge the other side. Why are you afraid? Not being reasonable? I think that you must be willing to take some risks, but while taking those risks you must be able to change your opinion while maintaining some sort of "hindsight/viewpoint" which will enable you to make the right decesion.

LOL here we go...why do you claim I am afraid? You're the one taking Pascal's Wager because of YOUR fear.

Risks are taking every day. They're made when there's not enough evidence to make an educated decision. Are you willing to say here, in front of everyone, that you believe in God because you took a risk?

(but you must make sure this isn't too biased either way OR you must make sure that your viewpoint isn't too easily swayed. as always, a fine line.)

Exactly my point...now if you could just follow your own advice.

Corpfox said:
1. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (100%)
2. Bah�'� Faith (97%)
3. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (97%)
4. Unitarian Universalism (97%)
5. Theravada Buddhism (93%)
6. Liberal Quakers (88%)
7. Jehovah's Witness (82%)
8. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (75%)
9. Jainism (75%)
10. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (73%)
11. Sikhism (72%)
12. Hinduism (66%)
13. Nontheist (64%)
14. Secular Humanism (64%)
15. Mahayana Buddhism (57%)
16. Neo-Pagan (57%)
17. Taoism (57%)
18. Orthodox Quaker (43%)
19. Seventh Day Adventist (43%)
20. Islam (37%)
21. Orthodox Judaism (37%)
22. New Thought (28%)
23. Reform Judaism (28%)
24. New Age (27%)
25. Eastern Orthodox (23%)
26. Roman Catholic (23%)
27. Scientology (19%)

I have 27, LOL! So what does this all mean, for me?

Well it sounds like you are some flavor of Christianity.

Going back to your OP, I think the next question that should be asked is why you do not accept God/Jesus gift?

Going back to your OP, I think the next question that should be asked is why you do not accept God/Jesus gift?

I still repent my sins, till then, I can not accept God's/Jesus gift.

I think my sins are overboard towards the bible in some verses that I've heard/seen. I think is far worse than anyone's that I've heard.

Its hard for me to accept it when the bible specifically says that my sin is unacceptable towards accepting God's/Jesus gift, or something relative.

However, if my sins is gone forever, forgiven or something relative, I can become a Christian.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLNT_FIR

LOL because I used it against you?

Erm, you interpreted it wrong. I mean, that it wasn't a very good metaphor to begin with, *heh, no offense*, and the fact you were able to "use it against us" means that it doesn't demonstrate the thing we are trying to communicate very well. *i am NOT saying that simply for arguments sake though :) *

Accepting the gift that Jesus/God gives to every person FREELY, it that indeed ... FREE. Let's define His gift so we're on the same page: His gift is salvation from eternal damnation (hell). To accept it, you have to believe in you heart and speak with your lips that Jesus Christ is the son of God and that He died for your sins and rose victorious on the 3rd day. According to the Bible, you will have then accepted the gift God gives freely to all mankind that ask.

Jesus loves YOU Jesus loves everyone the same God doesnt choose favorites. We are All his children and all loved equally. God is on no ones side. Hes not on the athiest side, christian side, muslim etc.....we as Christians need to be on Christs side.You are either for him or against him. There is no in between. Sadly we fight, we hate, yet we forget Jesus telling us to love. Love never fails. Christ took all of our sins on the cross. Why? Because he loved us, the people who mocked him, doubted him, hated, and dispised him. Our creator, our best friend came down to us. Came down in the form of man. Came down and was equally tempted with sin like we are. Jesus didnt stray from his goal. His goal was to use his life on earth to take one chance to save a forgetten people. His sacrifice took every hurt, every burden, every pain, sin, emotion, and the past.

God has given each one of us a life and has blessed us with a free mind. Corp i cant tell you who you are and these people cant either. Finding yourself is up to you. But....i can tell you this, Jesus came to this earth, lived our life, took a chance, and died for you. Now we all have life what have you done that makes you so important? Are you a person? or some statistic on the world population charts. If make use of your life. Take a chance. Seek God humbly. Im not talking about selfishly "God if you are real then do....". Seek Him humbly and ernestly. Hes there and he says come. Find him before its too late. Jesus has the date set for his return and all that matters in the end is 1) Who you are deep inside, are you with Christ? Or against him? 2) What have you done with your life, not what the church has done or religion. 3) Where are you going.....where are you going with your life. Take a chance.....life is too short

Levite said:
Jesus loves YOU Jesus loves everyone the same God doesnt choose favorites. We are All his children and all loved equally. God is on no ones side. Hes not on the athiest side, christian side, muslim etc.....we as Christians need to be on Christs side.You are either for him or against him. There is no in between. Sadly we fight, we hate, yet we forget Jesus telling us to love. Love never fails. Christ took all of our sins on the cross. Why? Because he loved us, the people who mocked him, doubted him, hated, and dispised him. Our creator, our best friend came down to us. Came down in the form of man. Came down and was equally tempted with sin like we are. Jesus didnt stray from his goal. His goal was to use his life on earth to take one chance to save a forgetten people. His sacrifice took every hurt, every burden, every pain, sin, emotion, and the past.

God has given each one of us a life and has blessed us with a free mind. Corp i cant tell you who you are and these people cant either. Finding yourself is up to you. But....i can tell you this, Jesus came to this earth, lived our life, took a chance, and died for you. Now we all have life what have you done that makes you so important? Are you a person? or some statistic on the world population charts. If make use of your life. Take a chance. Seek God humbly. Im not talking about selfishly "God if you are real then do....". Seek Him humbly and ernestly. Hes there and he says come. Find him before its too late. Jesus has the date set for his return and all that matters in the end is 1) Who you are deep inside, are you with Christ? Or against him? 2) What have you done with your life, not what the church has done or religion. 3) Where are you going.....where are you going with your life. Take a chance.....life is too short

You had me up until there.

Why does it always come down to taking a chance?

Shouldn't you be SURE instead of "taking a chance"?

Dark Virtue said:
Excellent point.

HOWEVER, being able to see the chute and the ripcord, actually interacting with the instructor and watching the chute being packed goes a LONG way into believing the chute will open when you pull the cord.

Now, if you want to be technical, if this was your first jump, you wouldn't go it alone, would you? Wouldn't it be tandem?

NOW you're not only asking me to believe there's a chute and a ripchord, but ALSO an instructor tied to my back. All of which can't be percieved by any of my senses. Above that, you are telling me the instructor looks one way and packed my chute a particular way while the plane is full of people telling me differeing stories about the instructor and chute I can't see.

And I should believe you why?

Please forgive my delayed response....

1. You aren't going it alone, not if you have some good Christian friends who are living the life with you.

2. I have no reason to mislead you if that is what you are asking. I do not earn a commission from converting people. :D

The reason I talk about Christianity is because I believe it, I've been through peaks and valleys and I've seen its power, so I know it works. Truthfully and honestly. I've seen God change lives (including my own). That's why I believe it, and that's why I share it.

James said:
Please forgive my delayed response....

1. You aren't going it alone, not if you have some good Christian friends who are living the life with you.

2. I have no reason to mislead you if that is what you are asking. I do not earn a commission from converting people. :D

The reason I talk about Christianity is because I believe it, I've been through peaks and valleys and I've seen its power, so I know it works. Truthfully and honestly. I've seen God change lives (including my own). That's why I believe it, and that's why I share it.

The reason I talk about Christianity is because I don't believe it. I've been through the peaks and valleys and, at the end of the day, saw nothing to attribute to God. Truthfully and honestly. I've seen many lives waste and wither away with no help from God (including my own). That's why I don't believe there is a reason to believe that God exists.

See how anecdotal evidence works?

Yes I see what you are saying, however there are a few interesting things to point out about your version of my original sentence:

1. You don't believe in God, and that is pretty much a deal breaker if you are to really give Christianity a shot. :)

2. Isn't it interesting that the two of us could have such extreme differences regarding the exact same thing? Now assuming that we are both being completely honest, what do you think the difference was between our experiences with Christianity?

James said:
Yes I see what you are saying, however there are a few interesting things to point out about your version of my original sentence:

1. You don't believe in God, and that is pretty much a deal breaker if you are to really give Christianity a shot. :)

But I don't DISbelieve in God either. There's no reason in me giving Christianity a shot if I don't have enough reason to believe that God exists.

2. Isn't it interesting that the two of us could have such extreme differences regarding the exact same thing? Now assuming that we are both being completely honest, what do you think the difference was between our experiences with Christianity?

That you are willing to accept Christianity without proof and base your belief on faith. I prefer to base my beliefs on proof, evidence and reason. I have none of those when it comes to Christianity.

Originally Posted by Corpfox
I've never read a scripture, and don't know what are prophets and superstition. And I've only been to a church once.

I should of rephrase that, I do not believe in prophets and superstition.

As relative to, Levite post:

Find him before its too late. Jesus has the date set for his return and all that matters in the end is...

I do not believe that Jesus will return from the doomed earth we are living in, that he will bring all the Christians (or relative religion/belief) with him to Heaven (or a relative location).

Though, I do believe there will be a end in the world we live in, mostly likely war or natural disaster.

In either case, I would not cheat religion just to live/be alive.

Like that thread about a Athiest Professor that was dying, he cheated religion before he died. Instead of going to Hell, he cheated by believing at the last moment just to go to Heaven.

I would not do that if I was dying. I'd say thats cowardice to be afraid of dying.

James said:

Point number 1. Like me, DV didn't START OFF not believing in God, that was the only conclusion that fit the available facts later on in life. In both of our cases this was around the time of a crisis in which we called on God to really help us out for the first times in our lives, and he was a no-show.

Point number 2. You, sir, win a cookie for asking the most thought provoking question I've read on here for awhile. Why don't the three of us - yourself, DV and I, ask exactly that question and explore the answer?

Corpfox said:
I should of rephrase that, I do not believe in prophets and superstition.

As relative to, Levite post:

I do not believe that Jesus will return from the doomed earth we are living in, that he will bring all the Christians (or relative religion/belief) with him to Heaven (or a relative location).

Though, I do believe there will be a end in the world we live in, mostly likely war or natural disaster.

In either case, I would not cheat religion just to live/be alive.

Like that thread about a Athiest Professor that was dying, he cheated religion before he died. Instead of going to Hell, he cheated by believing at the last moment just to go to Heaven.

I would not do that if I was dying. I'd say thats cowardice to be afraid of dying.

May I ask for some clarification?

You said that you believe in God...do you believe in the God of the Bible?

Do you believe in the Bible?

If so, then shouldn't you believe in prophets?

I think many of us are just trying to get a grasp on exactly what your stance is. Until then, we can't really help you with your question.

Back