What am I now, religiously?

May I ask for some clarification?

You said that you believe in God...do you believe in the God of the Bible?

Do you believe in the Bible?

If so, then shouldn't you believe in prophets?

I think many of us are just trying to get a grasp on exactly what your stance is. Until then, we can't really help you with your question.

I haven't read the whole bible, so, no, I do not believe in the God of the Bible.

Since I have not read the whole bible, no, I do not believe in the Bible.

I only became a Christian when I accepted on Goose's post above, not from the Bible. From the people I've talked to, Christians mainly, what I have to believe (in heart), is what Goose posted above, so its rather annoying to be seeing that, the 100th time!

Well, just so you're clear ... I plagiarized from the Bible, those aren't my words, they are taken almost word for word out of the Bible (that you don't believe in). And the God that is referenced from my post is the God in the Bible.

Are you INTERESTED in being a Christian?

Are you planning on reading the Bible?

I ask becuase it sounds like you are lacking enthusiasm and direction.

Are you INTERESTED in being a Christian?

Now, No. I was INTERESTED in being a Christian 7 years ago. I became a Christian roughly 3-4 years ago. But, I official was a Christian for a few months or less (depending on the judgement of Christians).

I only became INTERESTED about Christians because I was recruited by a Christian in a Starcraft Clan, 7 years ago. Back then, I had no idea what was a Christian.

But, now I know, I was a Christian, went into a bad start, then back became a Non-Christian, still willing to understand what makes you such a real Christian. No swearing/cussing, obeying religious beliefs, etc.

It makes me sad when those things Christians have, they don't have them. Hearing Christians swearing was a shock, but an obvious thing since no one, human, is perfect. I ain't perfect too, I swear too, least I don't swear towards God. Why would I hate God, he never did anything to me. The only people I do hate are the people that trashtalk at me and worse. And sometimes, the people that kill me in a game and brag/swear about it later.

I ain't point fingers at the Christian swearers, I just saying if your a Christian, act like a Christian.

Are you planning on reading the Bible?

Now, No. I was PLANING on reading the Bible 7 years ago, but when I became a Christian, I just stopped reading the Bible. Though, I would look on people's advices towards a verse to see if it relates to what they say/mean.

I ask becuase it sounds like you are lacking enthusiasm and direction.

Since I don't want to be a Christian, I just wanted to know what would my "handle/title" be instead of a Non-Christian or Athiest, since I do not hate God, nor do I choose him.

And yes, I can not be in the middle, but since I am not in the good and bad side (God/Devil, Heaven/Hell), which am I? Neutral?

Eon said:
Point number 1. Like me, DV didn't START OFF not believing in God, that was the only conclusion that fit the available facts later on in life. In both of our cases this was around the time of a crisis in which we called on God to really help us out for the first times in our lives, and he was a no-show.

Point number 2. You, sir, win a cookie for asking the most thought provoking question I've read on here for awhile. Why don't the three of us - yourself, DV and I, ask exactly that question and explore the answer?

Thank you. Both for your response, and for the cookie. :) I am completely willing to do as you propose. Would you like to start a new thread, or meet on some kind of real-time chat service? Just give me a bit of lead-notice so that I can fit the time in my calendar so that we will not be interrupted.

I am absolutely serious about this.

James said:
Thank you. Both for your response, and for the cookie. :) I am completely willing to do as you propose. Would you like to start a new thread, or meet on some kind of real-time chat service? Just give me a bit of lead-notice so that I can fit the time in my calendar so that we will not be interrupted.

I am absolutely serious about this.

I'm down with that. A little roundtable discussion could be cool.

MODS: Could we set up a chat room? Maybe there's already one set up that I don't know about. If not, the only program I have is Yahoo Messenger.

ChickenSoup said:
It's one or the other. You're "for God or against Him"

While I still contend that there are THREE choices, CS has a good point. If you believe in God and simply choose not to follow him then you have to realize that is much different than someone who lacks a belief in God (such as an atheist).

If you REALLY need to have a label, I think apostate would fit. Apostasy is defined as, "renunciation of a religious faith".

If you were Catholic, the term heretic may be more fitting.

Another term would be infidel, which is defined as, "one who acknowledges no religious belief".

I'm not really big into labels, but I suppose either one of those could fit myself as well.

Dark Virtue said:
I'm down with that. A little roundtable discussion could be cool.

MODS: Could we set up a chat room? Maybe there's already one set up that I don't know about. If not, the only program I have is Yahoo Messenger.
There is no chat room setup that I am aware of -- except for IRC which I refuse to use. :p

I have Yahoo Messenger already installed, so that might work, but I don't know what Eon has. Further discussion on this should be through PM so this thread does not get derailed.

I would say that the Catholic term would probably be lapsed.

I too am up for that discussion (hey I suggested it!) but I suspect that it will be hard to find a time when we are all available for chat. I'm in the Netherlands, so my timezones are very different. ;)

My timezone is GMT+1 - you guys?

If you REALLY need to have a label, I think apostate would fit. Apostasy is defined as, "renunciation of a religious faith".

I looked it on on Webster, it sounds exactly what I am, nice.

I never was born/raised as a Christian, therefore, Religion was new to me.

Only 20% of my entire family are Christians and were Christians.

Since the title, Apostasy is best suited for me, end of discussion. Thank you ladies and gentlemen for your comments and concerns. I hope this post will end this discussion of, "What am I now, religiously?", otherwise, leave me out of your next post from the end of this sentence.

Dark Virtue said:
While I still contend that there are THREE choices, CS has a good point. If you believe in God and simply choose not to follow him then you have to realize that is much different than someone who lacks a belief in God (such as an atheist).

Another term would be infidel, which is defined as, "one who acknowledges no religious belief".

I'm not really big into labels, but I suppose either one of those could fit myself as well.

Well the dividing point is whether you're Christian or not. So, two choices. Are you for God or against Him? That choice affects (effects? argh, this grammar) where you spend your eternity. You can claim to be halfway all you want though.

ChickenSoup said:
Well the dividing point is whether you're Christian or not. So, two choices. Are you for God or against Him? That choice affects (effects? argh, this grammar) where you spend your eternity. You can claim to be halfway all you want though.

Again, you are oversimplifying the case.

A little girl at the age of 5 has been brought up as a muslim because her parents were and their parents before them.

Are you saying this little 5 year old girl is AGAINST God because she's not a Christian?

Are you saying that aborigines with no contact with western civilization are AGAINST God because they never heard of him?

Dark Virtue said:
Again, you are oversimplifying the case.

A little girl at the age of 5 has been brought up as a muslim because her parents were and their parents before them.

Are you saying this little 5 year old girl is AGAINST God because she's not a Christian?

Are you saying that aborigines with no contact with western civilization are AGAINST God because they never heard of him?

I already told you that you're either for or against God, don't ask again if you don't like the answer.

ChickenSoup said:
I already told you that you're either for or against God, don't ask again if you don't like the answer.

Nice to know you believe your God would condemn a young child for something she has no control over.

Dark Virtue said:
Nice to know you believe your God would condemn a young child for something she has no control over.

God is sovereign and I believe in his divine providence He gives most everyone an opportunity to make a decision for Christ. In other words, I believe that God would and has sent missionaries to those aborigines in the depths of the rain forests.

I don't believe God would condemn a 5 year old girl because she was a Muslim. The question really comes down to the age of accountability and the ability to understand/comprehend the Gospel and make a choice to accept or deny it.

I believe there is a period of grace given to the young before they have developed an understanding to fully comprehend the Gospel message and how it applies to their lives.

There does seem to be scriptual support that all infants, (see David's little son) in their innocence, go immediately into the arms of the Lord. (II Sam 11-12:22,23)

There is also clear evidence in the Scriptures that the likely range of "the age of accountability" is probably around puberty.

I am not saying that children younger than this age of accountability don't sin (I can look at my 2-year old and affirm that), but up and until the point when they reach clear understanding, I don't believe they come under the judgement of the Law.

Watcher, what about the time prior to the printing press? Prior to the availability of missionaries having access to the globe? What about those generations of people that had no encounter with Christianity?

Back