What is my first game purchase?

rev_rog

Ok. Great news. Today was Pastor appreciation day at my church. My wife and I received many nice cards and gifts. One awesome couple gave me a PS3!!!!! Yeah team!

So my question is. What should be my first game purchase?

Is there one game that everyone has and the TOJ plays online together?

Thanks

Rev.

Depends on what kind of content you prefer to play. You up for M-rated gorefests, Family Friendly, or T-rated with some objectional content?

Overall, would say Uncharted 2, Little Big Planet (four-player co-op, great for a family), or Burnout Paradise since that has both fun off and online modes. Start downloading a crazy amount of demos! :p

Start downloading a crazy amount of demos! :p
QFT. I've downloaded somewhere around 35GB worth of demos so far and it's helped me sort out a "future purchase" list.

So far, I've only purchased Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix (day one purchase), Soul Calibur IV ($19.99 at Wal-Mart), Super Street Fighter IV ($25 shipped on Amazon), and Critter Crunch (using a $10 Playstation Network card I bought for $5 and a $5 Reward Zone certificate).

I received LittleBigPlanet Game of the Year Edition and Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection as gifts along with the PS3 and an extra controller (for my wife). I'd highly recommend those titles as well.

My tentative future purchase list includes:
  • 3D Dot Game Heroes
  • BlazBlue: Continuum Shift
  • Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box
  • Castle Crashers
  • Demon's Souls
  • Eternal Sonata
  • Katamari Forever
  • PixelJunk Eden
  • Rocket Knight
  • Uncharted 2: Among Thieves GOTY Edition
  • Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • Yakuza 3
EDIT: Also, this thread may be of help.

LittleBigPlanet is definitely, definitely recommended. It's pretty much amazing.

If you like fighting games, there are a bunch of great ones on the system. Bunch of us have Soulcalibur IV (got quite a bit of immodesty in it, buyer beware). I'm a bit of a fighting game enthusiast, and could rave for hours about a bunch of 'em.

If that's not your cup of tea, a lot of us also have Burnout Paradise. It's a lot of fun. A lot of fun online, too. No same-system multiplayer (you can buy a $10 upgrade that gives you "hotseat" same-system multiplayer), though. Still, it's pretty cheap and fun.

It hasn't quite caught on around here yet, but if you're looking for a shooter, I highly recommend MAG. I'm not in the business of recommending shooters, so that's a big deal. First-rate competition and mechanics. It's all teamwork-driven, too. If, like me, you're not the best hunter in the world, you can still be a very important part of the team by keeping others up and running as a medic or engineer. Not to toot my own horn, but I recently reviewed it if you want more intel.

Once I know more about your preferences, I can come up with better recommendations.

Also, saw and accepted your friend request. Also, welcome to the PS3 brotherhood... er... chapter. :D

If that's not your cup of tea, a lot of us also have Burnout Paradise. It's a lot of fun. A lot of fun online, too. No same-system multiplayer (you can buy a $10 upgrade that gives you "hotseat" same-system multiplayer), though. Still, it's pretty cheap and fun.
Speaking of Burnout Paradise, I had a few questions about the Ultimate Box edition of the game:
  1. Does it include the $10 hotseat multiplayer you mentioned?
  2. Does it include all DLC? If not, which DLC does it NOT include?
  3. Why are new copies for the PS3 going for $100 (but only $11 for the PC version) on Amazon? Were there only 5 copies of the Ultimate Box edition printed or something?

Speaking of Burnout Paradise, I had a few questions about the Ultimate Box edition of the game:
  1. Does it include the $10 hotseat multiplayer you mentioned?
  2. Does it include all DLC? If not, which DLC does it NOT include?
  3. Why are new copies for the PS3 going for $100 (but only $11 for the PC version) on Amazon? Were there only 5 copies of the Ultimate Box edition printed or something?
Oops. Thought I responded. My bad.

It does include the Party Pack... which is the expansion with hotseat gameplay. It doesn't include all the DLC. There's a bunch of that, including Big Surf Island, but I don't know enough about it to be helpful there. As for new copies... yeaaaaaah. That's just the way it goes. Gotta go with downloaded PSN version for getting it cheap(er) on PS3, I guess.

Black Ops looks to be the big deal right now, rev_rog. Not sure how many of us actually, or otherwise plan to get, it right now, though.

Black Ops looks to be the big deal right now, rev_rog. Not sure how many of us actually, or otherwise plan to get, it right now, though.
Count me out for BLOPS. I won't pay $60 for a PC game unless I've been waiting for it for over a decade and I can't stand first-person shooters on consoles (with the notable exceptions of Timesplitters Future Perfect, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, and The Conduit). If God had meant for us to play FPS games with thumbsticks, He wouldn't have given us keyboards and mice first.

Take that last line with a grain of salt.

Right now, I'm diggin' fighting games. Specifically, Super Street Fighter IV, Soul Calibur IV, and Tekken 6. I'd love to play Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix and Critter Crunch against other ToJ members, but it seems my love of awesome puzzle games is unmatched among our group.

Right now, I'm diggin' fighting games. Specifically, Super Street Fighter IV, Soul Calibur IV, and Tekken 6. I'd love to play Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix and Critter Crunch against other ToJ members, but it seems my love of awesome puzzle games is unmatched among our group.
Unmatched? Agreed. But I still play with (and get dominated by) you. :p

I can't say with complete sureness, but I'd hazard a guess that I'm the biggest fighting game enthusiast around here.

Which reminds me, I highly recommend all those games Tek just mentioned. Just not sure you'll appreciate them as much. :p

Unmatched? Agreed. But I still play with (and get dominated by) you. :p
Just to clarify for others: I meant my enthusiasm is unmatched, not my skill. While I tend to fare better in puzzle games than fighting games, I don't claim to be the most skilled puzzle gamer in ToJ or its PS3 chapter.

That being said, I'd love to play some more Puzzle Fighter with ToJ members.

I can't say with complete sureness, but I'd hazard a guess that I'm the biggest fighting game enthusiast around here.
That sounds like a fair estimate.

Speaking of fighting games, I'd also recommend BlazBlue: Continuum Shift, though I haven't had an opportunity to play the PS3 version yet.

BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger is phenomenal. BlazBlue: Continuum Shift adds some awesome stuff (mission mode, where you have to win a fight under impossible conditions; enhanced training mode, seems to include actual training in addition to the basic fighting game training mode options; new characters; expanded story; etc.). I haven't played it yet, but I think it's fair to assume that it's at least as awesome as its predecessor.

It's high on my purchase priority list.

Back