your favorite Bible version?

ChickenSoup

Banned
Personally I use the NIV a lot, but a bunch of peeps I know use KJV and NKJV for "translational accuracy"...

What's yours?

For study: Amplified. It lists every possible translation of the words. It is a very tough read, but it's worth it if you need help understanding a passage.

For daily reading: NASV. A couple of trusted sources with doctorates in theology have explained to me that the NASV is the most accurate translation, that the NIV and (N)KJV contain certain passages that come pre-interpreted in a dispensationalist way (not that I reject or support dispensationalism, I just prefer to make my own decisions).

However, I am also a proponent of the CEV, which simplifies everything to make it easier to read for people who don't have much of a background in Christianity, as kind of a "primer" Bible.

For daily reading: NASV. A couple of trusted sources with doctorates in theology have explained to me that the NASV is the most accurate translation, that the NIV and (N)KJV contain certain passages that come pre-interpreted in a dispensationalist way (not that I reject or support dispensationalism, I just prefer to make my own decisions).

yeah the NIV I've heard is kind of a paraphrased easier-to-read version.

It's funny, because I know a lot of people who say that the [N]KJV is the most accurate because the greatest scholars of the time got together to do it. Almost true :rolleyes:

I would like to read the KJV the most but im not that good of a reader and get confused sometimes. I usually read KJV or NIV.

I don't have a favorite version. If I were stuck with just one version, I would feel cheated in a way. I use the e-sword bible which is a free download from www.e-sword.net. In it, I have over 12 versions not counting the four versions of the greek scriptures themselves. Many of these versions have the strong's numbers inbedded and linked, right in the text. All you have to do is pass your cursor over the number and the definition will pop right up in front of you in a small window. Very, very handy. It has an unbelievable amount of functions and is better than any of the high end bible programs I have purchased in the past.

I have been using it for 5 years now and I don't think I could use another one now. All versions have translation issues in some area or another. Having those greek scriptures help out greatly.

[toj.cc]WildBillKickoff;205428 said:
For daily reading: NASV. A couple of trusted sources with doctorates in theology have explained to me that the NASV is the most accurate translation,

I personally feel that Young's literal translation is the best. It's from the early 1800's and is extremely accurate.

since when did all these versions come out? all i know about are NIV, NKJV, KJV, and now NCV

people dont tell me things..

:) i personally think that the Message Remix is the best primer... simply for the fact that it helps younger people get into the word because of the simplified reading. (this is the way i think becuase my future is aimed towards the younger folk (my age right now) and getting them secured on a good foundation) So for studying... i have to FULLY agree on how Pastori says it... amplified. simply because of the way its written. It puts the Word into a different perspective than most Bibles do.

has anyone heard of "Word on the Street"? It's weird but geared for inner-city kids ("Jesus and his posse" instead of "Jesus and his disciples")

I like using the NIC Study bible. It has footnotes at the bottom incase you don't understand something. I also like the message bible. I think its good for youth too.

I prefer KJV but I like looking at other versions as I am reading. E-Sword is AMAZING! I have had it for a year or two now love it! If you don't have it get it! It is 100% Legal and free unless you wanna buy some of the Versions for it but still is awesome tool!

Back