Your Top Ten Favorite Dungeons / Raids

Bowser

Tribe of Judah StarCraft Series Chapter Leader
List your top ten favorite dungeons and/or raids of all time!!

Consider scripted events, bosses, mobs, environment/atmosphere (including music), loot, personal experiences, etc.

I would say mine would look something like this:

#1 Maraudon
#2 Blackfathom Deeps
#3 Blackrock Spire
#4 Razorfen Downs
#5 Dire Maul North
#6 Slave Pens
#7 Shadow Labyrinth
#8 Kharazan
#9 Halls of Lightning
#10 Culling of Stratholme

I also really like the new ICC dungeons, but not sure if they're quite a favorite yet.

Making this list has brought me to mention that I kind of miss the epic long dungeons from vanilla WoW. Remember how long Uldaman would take? Yikes! At least with Maraudon you could choose which wing you wanted to enter, kind of like Scarlet Monastery. While I'm glad that Blizzard changed the dungeons to be a lot more fast paced and with fewer trash mobs between bosses, I also miss the epic hour long plus dungeons. They also seemed a lot harder. Stratholme, for example, seemed quite hard until pretty late into the end-game when you had raid gear (I'm thinking pre-1.4 or so). And even to just before BC was released the 45 minute Baron run was still pretty difficult (I remember when Melko and I achieved a server first on it; that was pretty cool). Part of what I missed back then was the integrity of the group (not that that's not important now; it just seemed so much more noticeable back then, probably partly due to the limited talents and abilities for each class at that time). Back then, paladins weren't really a viable class; they were no good at healing and tanking.. ? No one even knew what that was. The only way I could get into groups as a paladin was to run with the guild, and even then I was considered an "off-healer". Man.. those were the days, lol. Now, it's a lot different. With the introduction of the new class-finding system for instances I've noticed that a lot of times I don't even know what class my healer is. And while I realize that's a bad habit and that I should check to see what each person in the group is doing (and most of the time I do), a lot of the time we instance, and then buff as we pull. No one seems to mind, and classes aren't as much of an issue anymore simply because they are each so strong now.

Last edited:
I know which one is not on my list: Molton Core. Only because after spending like 2.5 years in there, I'm just Major Domo'd about it.

1) Orgrimmar
2) Orgrimmar
3) Orgrimmar
4) Orgrimmar
5) Orgrimmar
6) Orgrimmar
7) Orgrimmar
8) Orgrimmar
9) Orgrimmar
10) Orgrimmar

Wait those aren't dungeons? Well they're certainly raids.

Favorite dungeons

#1 - The Deadmines - My first dungeon and I have fond memories of it.
#2 - Karazhan - Just fun - chess event was cool even though it was easy.
#3 - Blackwing Lair - Was very difficult at the time. Wish Pallys could have been a melee dps class back then. My rogue was so OP on Vael.
#4 - Ulduar - Very epic feel, although I HATED the vehicle fight.
#5 - Mt Hyjal - Loved the waves and the huge bosses. It did stink to have to do alllll the waves again when you wiped though.
#6 - The new ICC 5 mans - Cool story stuff if you take the time to listen.
#7 - Zul'Aman - Very cool theme and interesting mechanic in the timed run.
#8 - Zul'Gurub - Liked the theme of animal aspects and the fish boss made you FLY REALLY HIGH!
#9 - Onyxia - The new or the old, but I think the old one was harder and that made it more epic.
#10 - Mauradon - I loved getting to the end and seeing the ugly princess.

Last edited:
#1 Onyxia
#2 Zul-Gurub
#3 Zul-Aman
#4 Obsidian Sanctum
#5 Occulus (Yes I like it)
#6 Culling of Stratholme
#7 Lower Blackrock Spire

I have always enjoyed Onyxia even in Vanilla WoW. I really enjoyed Zul'Gurub and ZA, I like the whole outdoor jungle theme and the Jamacian trolls....eh man'

OS is fun to...it reminds me of Onyxia. Yes I like Occulus..everyone always complained about it but it's super easy if everyone does their job...even before Blizz nerfed it 1/2 to death. CoS is just cool especially if you played WarCraft 3 and know the back history of WoW. Finally LBRS is great, I remember the first time the big Worg dog came out after we killed his mate..I was like oh my gosh a big freaking dog where did it come from.

#1 Deadmines. First and still the best. Goonies ftw.
#2 MC. 40-man raids were so epic. My first raid with Redeemed. Yes, it was boring, but that meant I could eat dinner while clearing trash and not wipe the raid. Usually.
#3 Scholo. Fond memories of late nights with Laraptor and Where here AFTER the MC raids. Ah, the good ol' days of bachelordome and gaming until 2 or 3 in the morning. Any, Scholo was just a scary place, and getting to the end was always rewarding. The zombies who made the green poison thing when they died, though, were no good.
#4 Kara. Just so well designed. The back door. The library. The philanthropists. The one instance where it would actually be sorta fun to go hang out of it really existed. Well, minus all the things trying to kill you.
#5 SFK. Only went there a few times, but it was really cool.
#6 Hellfire Ramps. Was so happy to be able to complete an instance in well under an hour, and thus ran this place many many times.
#7 ZA. Because THE STAFF dropped for me, like the one time I went in there.
#8 The Eye. The giant "invisible" robot. Enough said.
#9 Blackrock Depths. So big. So, so big. And skulking around in there in cat form solo was lots of fun. Except when I died and had the hugely long run-back.
#10 Dire Maul. Because it proves that "wings" applied to a massive dungeon just result in massive wings. And because it's complex with the door-unlocking jazz ... not just a linear, start to finish now we're done who needs a port thing.

And the yucky ones:
#1 Stockades. So short, so stupid. At least it was convenient to get to.
#2 ToC. Yes, it's a gear-fest. But it's an event, not a dungeon. I appreciate instances being better designed around liftstyle when you compare WotLK to Classic ... but it can go to far and ToC-5 is just a gear slot machine. Something's wrong when the mobs come to you rather than the other way around.
#3 Sunken temple. I still get lost in there. Enough said.

1 - AQ40
2 - AQ40
3 - AQ40
4 - AQ40
5 - AQ40
6 - AQ40 - I cannot explain why I love AQ40 so much... prolly b/c of the Warlock tank part...
7 - BWL/Pre-BC Naxxramas (TIE!)
9 - BRD - what a REAL instance should be like and what most others fail to compare to.
10 - Dire Maul - It looked so cool!

Last edited:
oh man. I love instances. These won't really be in order; I'm a forgetful dude.
1. Deadmines. I didn't play Vanilla, so for me the lower levels were for getting by without many spells. you have to really use the ones you have well. This applies to many of the lower level dungeons (say <40), largely because of the good times I had leveling together with Grimbeorn, Cynica, and Belenah. 4 manning instances when we didn't even really know about tanks and healers and crowd control; still my favorite part of this game, and leads to some of the next favorite dungeons.
2. shadowfang keep. Back when archmage arugal was Such a pain.
3. Wailing Caverns. Even as allies, Grim, Cyn, Bel and I ran that many times as lowbies.
3. that's right: Gnomeregan. I loved that place. such fond memories of being killed by Dark Iron Agents. I believe I had my first successful engineering rez in there.
4. Uldaman. for a low level, some neat lore/encounters in there.
5. Zul'Farrak. really liked that one, mounting, good loot.
6. Karazhan. I liked chain-trapping on the Moroes fight, and the trash had personality ;)
7. Gruul. my first end-game epic, those dragonslayer gloves. Thanks, Bax.
8. Magtheridon
9. Ulduar
10. Not any particular northrend dungeon, but I've enjoyed all of them that I've gotten to squeak through with a group of guildies.

LEAST FAVORITE!
That ugly hound in naxx, with all his zombies. First time I did that, hunter kiting epic fail. Hate it.

Back