FOOD AGAIN!!!!!!

Ok gotta have some nuts on the table. What combination of peanuts, mixed nuts, cashews, and sunflower seeds would go well? Yes, yes sunflower seeds are technically not nuts. And no bacon is not an answer on the answer sheet.

Ok picked up the goodies for making our traditional Christmas Eve dinner.

Swedish Meatballs and rice.

Quick, easy, and great as leftovers. Sorry bacon has no room in that dish. Actually there is no bacon in the whole house, not even turkey bacon.

Gag, barf, sauerkraut. Pork yes. Sauerkraut is as bad as kimchi. My sister will be doing her meatballs and rice for tonight.

My mom will start cooking the Kraut with tomato and bacon soon. She lets it simmer all day long, it stinks up the house.

Here's one that struck me the other day... What favored food did your parent/grandparent make that no matter how hard you try you just can't make it nearly as well?

For me, my mom makes what she calls "pork tenerettes." She takes a pork cube steak, puts it in flour, and egg wash and then breading and fries it in a frying pan. It's tender, juicy and crispy. Mine, the breading tends to fall off before I can serve it to the family. It's not bad, it's just not mom's.

Vinegar pie or any type of gravy. Can't begin on vinegar pie, and for gravy, even when I cheat there is no way I can match hers. Now biscuits, watch out, I have taught myself to come very, very close, my sister say's better, I don't agree. And certainly not as effortless.

Can't get a pie crust to come out like my grandma's. My one attempt at peanut brittle (other grandma) was a joke.

Coconut cream pie is yummy, but I've only really eaten my grandma's. It's not what I'd choose elsewhere, though it'd probably be good enough. I don't love it enough to make it, so if grandma didn't make it, I'd only get to eat it at potlucks or restaurants otherwise, and then it's just not what I would choose.

My wife just cant seem to match the taste of my mom's chocolate cake. She just cant mimic the burnt carbon flavor,:p, and thats a good thing :D

Can't get a pie crust to come out like my grandma's. My one attempt at peanut brittle (other grandma) was a joke.

Coconut cream pie is yummy, but I've only really eaten my grandma's. It's not what I'd choose elsewhere, though it'd probably be good enough. I don't love it enough to make it, so if grandma didn't make it, I'd only get to eat it at potlucks or restaurants otherwise, and then it's just not what I would choose.

I haven't tried pie crust, but my mom says that it just doesn't come out the same without lard, which is very hard to get around here.

Hmm. My grandma makes it with shortening. Which generally I'd think eww. But it's hard to argue with results haha. She just never measured it a normal way (to me). Something with a little tin cup and ice water? I don't know.

Hmm. My grandma makes it with shortening. Which generally I'd think eww. But it's hard to argue with results haha. She just never measured it a normal way (to me). Something with a little tin cup and ice water? I don't know.

Oh yeah, my grandma never measured anything either. My mom tells me that every time she tries to cook something my grandma used to make.

Back