FOOD AGAIN!!!!!!

Cow rocket how in the world do you have such a knack for supporting vegan stuff not in my area?

What goes best on Ritz, or fake Ritz crackers? And no silly vegan items that can only be bought in one tiny corner of one tiny state.

Last edited:
Pepper-Jack-Cheese-500x500.jpg

Cowrocket I bet thet, thet thar Nasonville cheese is only available at Uncle Fred's General store. Which is just a few miles from snakebelly crossing, which is only about 50 miles further out in the boondocks than Petticoat Junction.

Peanut butter, of course! Maybe topped with a spot of honey.
Or hummus or cheese, though I've never tried either.

Given a choice, either right for the choice (a buffet), turkey or beef gravy on yer smashed taters? Vegans ya have a choice of yer own?

Turkey gravy. But if it's grandma's house I put corn on my mashed potatoes. One of the few times I'll eat corn by choice. Weird right? Not sure which family member got me started doing that.

My wife makes a veggie vegan gravy that is FANTASTIC. I'd would rather have that then my Gram's turkey gravy.

Ok confession time. I am struggling to find low cal, healthy food items fer my life change, what ya would call a diet. Food that tastes good, trying for a little at a time. No don't mention vegan, but am willing to try some vegan items. I can cook if I try, don't feel like trying half the time, my lady is too busy to cook. I like salads, bean soup, raw peppers, raw carrots, tomatoes, 'taters, brown rice, grits, hominy, peas, green beans, that's about it. All suggestions considered. Oh yes I am type 2 so skipping meals is not a good idea. Southwest salad? What would go in that?

Dude.. Its really easy to lose weight.

How Cow lost 77 lbs in 6 months:

1. Mindset, DO NOT DIET!!!!!! you need a lifestyle change. Do NOT skip meals, if anything eat more often.
2. Change out half your dinner for a HUGE basic salad. No cheese, bacon(inorite???), fatty dressings.. ect. Stick w/ vinaigrettes(see #4)
3. Run from soft drinks, water is your friend
4. DO NOT get the "Low Fat" anything, its loaded with sugars.

I found that it really is just a simple numbers game, eat less calories than you burn, the weight will fall off. If you need support, PM or post in the man cave :)

1, 3, 4 I already do. When water is boring go for unsweetened tea and black coffee decaf. Working it through VA Move program. Just need some decent food options.

Most good for you things seem to take at least a little prep? Are you saying you'll cook sometimes? Or preferably not? Do you think you'd like bean dips? For example, something like:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/white-bean-dip-with-pita-chips-recipe.html (minus the pita chips, probably).
But you could chop up a bunch of veggies that you like, make up a batch of dip, and have healthy snacks at the ready through the week. It can also be used as a sandwich/wrap spread (with other ingredients).

With the DM, to what extent do you avoid breads and pastas? I know you can't go nuts, but I didn't know if I should even suggest things that include them at all. Gonna look up some recipes we like and I'll update my post.

Update: Here are a few recipes (Sorry it's some work, though not too bad, and you'd have lots of leftovers. Not sure if you'd want to keep eating it for a few days, or if you'd want to freeze half and then you're set for some other day.)
* http://thescienceofeating.com/2012/04/08/inside-out-stuffed-peppers/
* http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/tasty-lentil-tacos (for real, we haven't done meat tacos since I started making these a few years ago. We haven't missed the meat ones at all)
* http://allrecipes.com/recipe/middle-eastern-rice-with-black-beans-and-chickpeas/ (might be a little exotic for your tastes, but we like it, and it makes a TON. It kind of reminds me of like a hamburger helper, but without questionable stuff in it and you don't feel gross after eating it. I've always made it with brown rice, just adjust the cooking time for the rice accordingly.)

Last edited:
RE: the salad dressing bit mentioned by CowRocket. One really should eat dressing with a bit of fat with salad. Salad greens are high in vitamins A and K, both of which are fat-soluble. From what I've read, if there's no fat in the intestines, the body can't absorb them, so they just go down the toilet. Extra-virgin olive oil is most often recommended, with vinegar added for taste. Sorry for making things more complicated. :confused:

I've also read of a study where people who ate an apple before dinner (it was a set amount of time, but I don't remember how long; 30mins?) ate less dinner than those who didn't eat anything. Now, that wasn't salad vs. nothing or salad vs. apple, but in case you want to switch things up. :) Though apple is fruit and fruit is often high in sugars, so I don't know if that would be good with diabetes?

My dad enjoys putting olive oil and powdered cheese on noodles leftover from spaghetti night as well. I've not tried it yet, but it does sound good. Don't know if that could really work for an entire meal, but side or snack definitely.

Right now on an English Muffin kick, make 'em toasted with calorie free butter spray for b'fast. Ember I have to get back into real meal planning, that is what this question was all about, plan so we don't go out to eat, and those 3 recipes sound doable.

Niniel my diabetes is borderline right now so apples are doable, I usual prefer Halos for my fruit tho. My lady is anti-olive oil, we have it in stock but don't use often. (It may be a mistaken idea about my preference for thin women and Olive Oyl)

I agree Niniel, that's why I suggested vinaigrette's. I was referring to dressing such as ranch, thousand island, bleu cheese, ect... Never heard of eating an apple before a meal, but it does make sense.

Back