Geek guys pwn jocks!

MaidMirawyn

Believe it or not, I was only half joking when I said I was launching a public service campaign extolling the virtues of male geeks! See, I genuinely like geeky guys, and firmly believe they are undervalued in our society.

My sphere of influence is small, but I still speak up for geeks when I hear them being blamed for all that is wrong, especially to the single female population... :D

So I'm offering the chance to speak up in your own defense. You tell me why geek guys (especially gamer-geeks) are better than jocks! If you're married, tell me what your wife thinks. I'll give my first reason:

Geek guys know how to treat women!
I've always had lots of male geeks for friends, and they really do know how to make women feel special. No jock ever approached me with honorable intentions, but the geek guys were different. They treated me with respect–like a lady. I mean, what jock would go down on one knee, kiss a lady's hand, and recite chivalrous phrases? In front of the high school, when people are walking around? No way!

So, let's hear from you geeks! Remember, single ladies may be lurking... ;)

And, yes, I know some geeks are jocks! But they are rare, and most geeks are involved in more esoteric sports than football, basketball, or baseball. (Like paintball.)

MaidMirawyn said:
Geek guys know how to treat women!
I've always had lots of male geeks for friends, and they really do know how to make women feel special. No jock ever approached me with honorable intentions, but the geek guys were different. They treated me with respect–like a lady. I mean, what jock would go down on one knee, kiss a lady's hand, and recite chivalrous phrases? In front of the high school, when people are walking around? No way! [/SIZE][/I]

In terms of your typical high school environment, I agree with what you say, but in general I really don't like the idea of labelling people using such a negatively stereotypical term as 'jock'. ('Geek' is a point of pride for many these days, on the other hand.) People are very complex, and so are their likes and dislikes. And someone who loves football, basketball or golf as much as I hate them and hates Guild Wars as much as I love it is no more or less capable of being kind, considerate, compassionate and honorable than I.

Ultimately, the healthiest person is healthy in both mind and body. I think the most well-balanced guy is one who is active both mentally and athletically, and who can learn how to appreciate and enjoy his own talents and gifts as well as others'.

Paul

Last edited:
Reason #2

Geeks haves like uber micro n stuff right so like we can like pwn homework n stuff and even pwn other peoplez homeworkz when neededz so like we can offer somethin to society ya know?

Wow, there was SO much wrong with that sentence... :p

I think what he's attempting to communicate is that the geekier individuals nowadays have more to contribute than most athletes (who get paid ridiculous amounts of money to play a game, while people like firefighters who SAVE PEOPLE'S LIVES get paid squat, but that's a different issue), and that we can use our greater intelligences for the greater good.

Where do I fit in?

I was all-state in shot put and discus in HS, honorable mention all-state as a defensive end in football (in FLORIDA, one of the top 5 states for HS football), a member of the all-state Sightreading Choir, captain of the debate team, and graduated top 4% of my class of 550?

I'll tell you where: NOWHERE. I was one of the most unpopular kids in my school, partly because I did so many things no one saw me for more than five minutes at a time, partly because I was moderately overweight (as opposed to now, when I am grotesquely overweight), and partly because the girl I dated went to the school across town.

Oh well, in the end I got the girl, and that's what matters most about young adulthood (or middle-agedom for some)-- who you marry.

dorkelf said:
In terms of your typical high school environment, I agree with what you say
And college. :D Half of the college students, after all, are simply high school kids with more freedom and more time on their hands. (If you remember, my high school reunion proved that some of them never grow out of it...) And this is mainly to help our single college-aged friends here.

So don't be a stick-in-the-mud! :p

[toj.cc]WildBillKickoff said:
Where do I fit in?...I'll tell you where: NOWHERE.
Yep, that was me: a definite misfit! (My husband can attest to this, since we attended high school together.) You have to realize I graduated from hs in 1991, so we're talking the wild 80s...and a relatively wholesome, fairly smart, slightly tomboyish girl (who nevertheless wore lots of skirts) like me didn't really fit the mold.

But I was very nice to anyone who wasn't really mean to me, and I liked to help people, so I made it through okay (marching band, chorus, German club, MathCount...those helped me find a niche). Generally, though, I was just quiet at school...since most of my friends were younger and therefore rarely in my classes.

I was homeschooled so Home schoolers tend to be geeky. I would probably been a Jock had i gone to High School. However I did not get to play sports in high School. But what I see that a lot of geeks are afraid of the opposite sex. I can talk to girls no Problem but I can never ask one out I am too afraid of umm losing/getting told no lol. as i look back when i was younger I realize I probably could have asked alot of Girls I worked with out but I was too shy/afraid to do so. I would agree Geeks are a little more courtious than other guys. I am told I am a very likable guy but I would say most geeks are kinda shy. I am very good with customers and talking to people but still I am shy.

one2dredd said:
I was homeschooled so Home schoolers tend to be geeky.

Really? So was I! :)

I think, you're right though, geekiness tends to come with introversion (not always, but usually).

Hmm, i wonder where i fit in too. I did sports in highschool (wrestling, football, waterskiing etc..) I also hang out with some jocks, but i usually dont agree with what they do or say. I guess im a geeky jock, cause i also like to play video games and other geeky stuff such as watch Princess Bride (which i finally saw last week).

I agree that geeks tend to treat women better and i think that geeks may get made fun of but they get the better end of the deal.

I was homeschooled and I wasn't... er...

nvm... who am I fooling?
comp sci major.
gamer.
no girlfriend.
I'm a geek.

ArchAngel said:

nvm... who am I fooling?
comp sci major.
gamer.
no girlfriend.
I'm a geek.
There, there. It's always hardest the first time you face your inherent geekiness. But embrace it! Allow it to make you stronger!

ArchAngel said:

nvm... who am I fooling?
comp sci major.
gamer.
no girlfriend.
I'm a geek.

Same here. :D

MaidMirawyn said:
There, there. It's always hardest the first time you face your inherent geekiness. But embrace it! Allow it to make you stronger!

"You do not yet realize your importance. You have only begun to discover your power. Join me, and I will complete your training. With our combined strength, we can end this destructive conflict and bring order to the galaxy."
icon_twisted.gif

i tried comp sci, it didn't like me. chemistry didn't like me either... too bad biology & chem go so closely together, bio & i got along...

oh, well, me & mass media are getting along just fine :D

& that's why i'll be in school for a total of 6 years, with only one degree to show for it.

actually I've embraced my geekiness years ago.

to the extent that now I'm moving away from it.
I'd rather upgrade my car than my comp.
I'd rather hang with friends(especially those of the hot girl persuasion
) than game.

then again, I finished homeschooling too...

I was Valedictorian! Ok, to be fair, my graduating class was 15 people. I was always pretty good at baseball (like most Arnolds). I usually made the all-star team in little league and the all-district team in high school. Nowadays, I play basketball(guard) and softball(shortstop) for the 20th Intelligence Squadron and also play on the Bellevue Christian Center church softball team(second base).

Oh, and I have associate and bachelor degrees.

Last edited:
MaidMirawyn said:
And college. :D Half of the college students, after all, are simply high school kids with more freedom and more time on their hands. (If you remember, my high school reunion proved that some of them never grow out of it...) And this is mainly to help our single college-aged friends here.

So don't be a stick-in-the-mud! :p

Hey, you're the one who has banished me to the sub-basement. But I've come to like it in the mud. I've lived here for quite some time, and the ROUS's are all my friends now. :)

Getting back to the topic at hand though, I can understand why you're frustrated that intelligent, chivalrous, introverted guys have such a hard time finding women who can love and appreciate them. I'd just prefer to leave the whole 'jock<geek' thing out of the argument. Virtually all of the athletic, sports oriented Christian guys of college age or older I've ever known are great, industrious people who know how to be very good to their girlfriends/wives. I just don't think its fair to say that there is somehow something wrong with 'jocks' but not with 'geeks', particularly when discussing Christians.

And geeks certainly have their own issues. Remember the 'Jawa' who was hitting on you when we were in the line for Star Wars? Remember Keith and Murray from my college days, who both regularly called in sick so they could sit around and play Mortal Combat 'online' all day? Remember when Keith got to the point that he wouldn't stop playing his console game even when I came to visit him, and I'd just sit there in silence watching him play until I had to leave? Remember all the ego-inflated jerks at NERO? Sorry, but 'geekdom' has just as many jerks and egotistical morons as 'jockdom', at least in my personal experience.

Paul

ArchAngel said:
I'd rather hang with friends(especially those of the hot girl persuasion)
than game.
Hmmm...do you have these girls' email addresses handy? I think maybe I need to have a talk with them about things a certain someone may have said.... ;)

Back