Halo PC question

drumguy763

Hey I'm new to the forums, although I've checked some of the reviews...

Anyway I have a question about Halo.  I've heard it's a great game, and I've played it on xbox at my friend's house.  I want to get it for PC, but my parents don't like 'M' games.  I know my computer can handle it, and I really want the game.  I know there's blood, but most of it's aliens right?  Anybody out there to say whether or not it is appropriate?  (The same things goes for Half-Life 2, although it's gonna be a little while before that comes out.  I'll cross that bridge when I get there
biggrin.gif
.)

Thanks

BTW, I'm a 16 year old Christian.

Hi! Welcome to the site and the forums. I was going to ask the SAME exact question. I noticed the 'M' rating and was wondering why it got that rating. MaxX will be coming out with a review for the game very soon, so it should hopefully cover that aspect.

The original HL did have some blood splatters and aliens eating off people's heads. I presume HL2 will have even more and it will look even more realistic. I really hope they don't turn up the language. They seemed to increase the bad language in 'Opposing Force'. Probably thinking Marines use harsher words.

Wasn't there a review for the Xbox version?  I believe they are the same except for a few minor graphical differences and some game conversion factors (no co-op, extra maps) http://pc.ign.com/articles/451/451902p1.html?fromint=1
I understand that the Xbox version did have some minor language.  How bad is this?  Warcraft 3 has a little, and I enjoy that game.

I agree about limiting the language.  IMO, either limit it (better yet, none), or have a filter.

i came i played i conquored it

the langauge is slight, it wasnt rampt, and infact there is very few talking out side of the cut scences and its mostly the marines that would use the language.
its basicly like the Xbox verion but converted to PC quality.

I viewed the HL2 videos. Its as bloody as before, and a little bit more gorey. Halo, doesn't that have green blood? Haven't played it for a while. Neither game would i recommend for anyone under 14, 15 ish.

Yeah I think the blood, at least for the aliens, is blue and green.  

So for those who have the Xbox version, do you think this game is ok for most people?  I know it got a mature rating, but is the content much worse than other FPS, such as Battlefield 1942, America's Army, or James Bond games?  It got the mature rating for blood and gore, but most is shooting aliens.  IMO, shooting aliens is not as bad as shooting people.

We got MaxX's review but waiting for him to approve some edits. he gave it an A- on appropriateness but I'm disouting it because it has violence and swearing. I think it deserves a C in this catagory.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CCGR @ Oct. 12 2003,11:22)]We got MaxX's review but waiting for him to approve some edits.  he gave it an A- on appropriateness but I'm disouting it because it has violence and swearing.  I think it deserves a C in this catagory.
RGR THAT!

I dun like Halo.. i stink at it too..
tounge.gif
whenever its on Xbox..

God>Fls>CS>everythin else>halo

biggrin.gif
jk jk
laugh.gif

I can't really compare Halo or HL2 to any T rated game.  You also have to remember that BF1942 and AAO are both online games, which you get a lot of swearing in because of.  Halo, from what I remember, is fairly mild as far as M games go, its not the absolute blood fest of the Quake and DOOM games.  Langauge wise, I really don't remember how much was in Halo, since its been a couple of months since I played.  My recommendation for Halo would be if your 15 or older, and for HL2, that I would probably say would be 17, as the gore for it is much more then the original.  In short, for appropriate content, its better then most games, even some T, like WC3: Frozen Throne.

I'm also 16, and I play these games, if that helps any.

Yea it has swearing (enough to notice) and fighting of course. I thought it was good gore wise actually, compared a lot of games out there.

That's true. Especially compared to something like Counter-Strike. That game was fun, but bloody. The blood and gore in Halo seems more like, well, something that you might see in prime time television, although that is quickly getting worse. And the game is certainly not as violent as MOH:Frontline. I think it's just the gore factor, however, that stopped this game from getting a Teen rating.

I just got the demo. I want to know does the guilt over killing these things ever go away? To quote Dr. Evil "there not evil enough."

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CCGR @ Oct. 18 2003,9:30)]well I don't feel guilty because they shoot back
Well its just the grunts I think they are called. I meen they are just so stupid I fell like I am in a ward shooting the mentally unstable.

ummm, i feel i should chime in here. halo really isnt that gorey at all. there is no blood spraying out of the aliens when they get shot, just a small amount of blue stuff on the ground/floor. and the part in the one level where its all over the walls, but that looks more like someone sprayed laundery detergent all over and turned on a black light. the swearing wasnt that bad either, mild at best, no really coarse swearing. maybe im just desensitized to stuff like this though. i think the fact that you are using guns is why they gave it an m rating, and also because of the fact that the graphics slow the game down immensly on geforce fx cards... and seeing as i own an fx5600 it dosent run very well at all, unless i st theg rpahics way down, which sucks... oh well, like i said, i really dont think this game is cery bad at all. the swearing is very mild, the gore is almost not existent, and its a great game that everyone should get a chance to play.

and a shameless plug for me, a newbie game reveiwer www.eliteguild.com i just did one on the Call of Duty Demo.

Jester, thanks for the feedback on the game. The thing is, I just plain don't like even mild swear words in a game. I realize, these days it's almost impossible not to have a 'D' or 'H' in there somewhere, so I am also concerned with frequency.

there are a lot gorier games out there, actually most fps's are. I'm glad bungie didnt add tons of gore just because they could

Back