show your support for keeping obama out

Personally, I believe that only land owners or business owners should have the right to vote. Those are the folks with the most vested interest in ensuring sound governmental policy.

If not that, then I think that a condition of being on welfare or a government employee is that you lose said right for the duration. After all, I don't want people willing to take handouts from the government, in a position where they can vote themselves more of those handouts.

Personally, I believe that only land owners or business owners should have the right to vote. Those are the folks with the most vested interest in ensuring sound governmental policy.

If not that, then I think that a condition of being on welfare or a government employee is that you lose said right for the duration. After all, I don't want people willing to take handouts from the government, in a position where they can vote themselves more of those handouts.

Fortunately, it doesn't work that way. Everyone gets a say instead of certain groups that one person thinks is fair. (not saying you're right or wrong, but that's just not democracy)

"Adults" arn't much better. Most of them spend their day lounging on the couch watching the latest news on britney spears or what other celebrity status. Try watching CNN or Fox news for 10 minutes and don't tell me it isn't biased. The sad truth is that the media might as well be in control of the country, because they can certainly control it.

But consider the [prefrontal cortex? lobe? I don't know, some part of your brain], although the size of a pea, that handles judgment. It doesn't usually fully develop till... what was it, 21? 25? One of those. That also explains car insurance rates. Maybe.

My point, really, is that teenagers don't have as good of judgment and are more easily influenced by the likes of college professors, peers, etc.

Half the people I knew before college came OUT of college as liberals. My cousin is a liberal mainly because all of her teachers tell her that it is the correct viewpoint. And then a lot of voting choice comes with experience--has a guy like this come around before? If he won, did he run the country well?

I'm not saying what is or isn't correct, I'm just saying that I wouldn't trust a teenager or young person's political opinion as far as I could throw it.

And yes, that is coming from a 16 year old.

I mean, it's on my mind, really, it is. I just don't.....care....I guess. I've voted in one presidential election (I've only been able to vote in 1) and I didn't really care then. I voted against Kerry and not really FOR Bush. I just don't want to vote against anyone anymore. I haven't really come across anyone I agree a whole lot with. I like a lot of what Ron Paul has to say, I just don't know that he's being realistic, since there is still congress to get around.
There's this thing called the bully pulpit. It's not congress he has to get around it's the laziness of the majority of the American people. If the American people would get off their hind quarters and get active in their gov't then congress would bend to their wishes.

Can't say i agree with you on that one..but i have a much more controversial voting right opinion..which i'll take to my blog...tomorrow..:)

Fortunately, it doesn't work that way. Everyone gets a say instead of certain groups that one person thinks is fair. (not saying you're right or wrong, but that's just not democracy)

actually the US isn't a democracy..it's a constitutional republic..quite a large difference..:)

Why is it fortunate that people who no qualifications, no true interest outside of wanting to get a handout from the government are allowed to vote?

Frankly, my thought would not mean that certain groups would get a say. People of all races, creeds, and sex own land and businesses. Or do you think that only old white men own land and businesses?

Also, please remember that the Constitution only demands that neither race nor gender be a bar against the right to vote. By requiring people to own land or a business means those who vote would be those who would be most affected by the laws.

Can't say i agree with you on that one..but i have a much more controversial voting right opinion..which i'll take to my blog...tomorrow..:)
Can't wait to read it.

Why is it fortunate that people who no qualifications, no true interest outside of wanting to get a handout from the government are allowed to vote?

Frankly, my thought would not mean that certain groups would get a say. People of all races, creeds, and sex own land and businesses. Or do you think that only old white men own land and businesses?

Also, please remember that the Constitution only demands that neither race nor gender be a bar against the right to vote. By requiring people to own land or a business means those who vote would be those who would be most affected by the laws.

IMO people should not get citizenship just by being born in America. If a person had to actually work to vote then chances are a lot of the uneducated would not even bother with it. If they did then that is good for them.

What about people who have an apartment, or students who live with their parents who hold sound jobs and help the economy as you and I do? These people deserve to be entitled to the same rights. And since they do not own their own land, couldn't one argue that these people are more reliant on the government and therefore have more invested than you or I do... the government could lower interest rates, etc... etc and make it easier to get on their feet.

And, uh... some people on Welfare DO need it, you know.

actually the US isn't a democracy..it's a constitutional republic..quite a large difference..:)

It is setup as a representative democracy so all it's citizens get equal opportunity to vote for people to represent them. That is why so many educated people refer to it as a Democratic Republic.

Perhaps this phrase will remind you of why EVERYONE can, no, Has the right to vote: We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

That is why ALL Americans have the inherent right to vote.
Would you not exclude more people by doing this?

Refer to the quote above.

IMO people should not get citizenship just by being born in America. If a person had to actually work to vote then chances are a lot of the uneducated would not even bother with it. If they did then that is good for them.
If you only want the people who care to vote, this seems like a much more, dare I say reasonable, and more equal way of doing it. It's voluntary rather than being stamped with a scarlet letter saying "Because I don't own property or a business, the government thinks I am too stupid to vote."

Last edited:
It is setup as a representative democracy so all it's citizens get equal opportunity to vote for people to represent them. That is why so many educated people refer to it as a Democratic Republic.
Read the constitution. Democracy is never mentioned. Republic is mentioned and the constitution says this is a republic.

And, uh... some people on Welfare DO need it, you know.
Federal welfare is unconstitutional and should not be occurring. That belongs to the states(IF their state level constitutions allow it). Also it's unbiblical..the care of the poor belongs to the churches and society in general not the gov't.

Perhaps this phrase will remind you of why EVERYONE can, no, Has the right to vote: We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

That is why ALL Americans have the inherent right to vote.
Actually the Constitution doesn't say everyone has the right to vote..it says race, color, sex, or previous condition of servitude, cannot be used as a reason to deny someone the right to vote. Your statement above doesn't mention voting at all.

Would you not exclude more people by doing this?
Refer to the quote above.
It's just what the constitution says. The constitution is not a changeable document on a whim. It says you can't discriminate in a very narrow set of parameters.

Last edited:
It continually amazes me both the number of people who have no idea of what the Constitution says and the number that actually do.

Thank goodness our public schools are doing such a great job educating children about how the government is supposed to operate. :rolleyes:

Back