Some thoughts about the guild

Grimbeorn

Tribe of Judah Star Wars: The Old Republic Sith Em
First thing I want to say here is that most of these points are still up for debate. The primary purpose of this topic is to try and determine what everyone else wants to see from this stuff. Obviously some things will be more likely to change than others. The release date is still pretty far off, so I see no reason to set anything in stone at this point. I intend to make the final decisions when the time comes, but until then I just want to see what everyone else would like.

Server type: We will be playing on a PvP server located in the US West (Pacific) time zone unless I get a strong reason to change that. We already have an adversary (Lions of Judah) who have set up their guild that way, so if we wanted to change that then either they would have to change it as well or we would no longer be able to be on the same server as them.

Guild structure: Assuming we get a fairly large number of members, I intend to eventually have more than one guild leader. I will be the only one for the time being, but I have no desire to maintain that situation if the guild gets big. The process for determining that will probably be fairly democratic, but I won't nail that down until we actually need to worry about it. The guild will obviously have officers at some point regardless of membership totals. My plan would be for officers to be chosen by the guild leadership. As of now, we have one officer - Sklurb, our web designer.

Guild rules: Umm... everyone needs to be a member of TOJ? Don't really have any specific thoughts other than the basic stuff required for TOJ chapters. At this point I don't see much reason for a bunch of extra rules for the guild, but I will definitely change that stance if the need for such things arises.

Most things won't be decided until we get significantly closer to release, since there is always a chance that we will be forced to change our ideas later on. Feel free to post any opinions on the above or any suggestions of your own. For now I'll leave this as one topic, but I may split it into smaller topics if this one gets too big.

Last edited:
Guild name: My suggestion is "Called from Darkness."
I agree with this guild name

Server type
: I much prefer a PvP server to anything else. RP servers seem kind of silly to me, but that part isn't that big a deal.
I prefer a PvP server, and I could put forth that an RP server might be a bit counter to our goals as a CGA chapter, since they tend to ask you to pretend the game is real. And I believe we admit it isn't, and wouldn't do IRL some of the things we do in-game.

Guild structure: Assuming we get a fairly large number of members, I intend to eventually have more than one guild leader. I will be the only one for the time being, but I have no desire to maintain that situation if the guild gets big. The guild will obviously have officers at some point regardless of membership.
I hereby (that sounds too formal) admit that I'd like to be able to help out in some sort of officership position; tentatively keep me in your radar for when we've come up with tasks that need attention.

Other than those things, I'm glad we've got this guild set up to go, and I look forward to building it up and using it to further God's kingdom, and waste my free time.

My 2 cents on name is choose one that has traction already. Tribe of Judah is a cross platform, cross gaming organization. Build off of some of that success instead of creating something completely knew.

When we picked Redeemed for WAR to build off of WoW it was helped us make serious in roads to the server population. People could see we were serious and we could recruit based on an established name.

As far as servers go, I prefer to wait and see what the rule set is before making that decision.

My 2 cents on name is choose one that has traction already. Tribe of Judah is a cross platform, cross gaming organization. Build off of some of that success instead of creating something completely knew.

When we picked Redeemed for WAR to build off of WoW it was helped us make serious in roads to the server population. People could see we were serious and we could recruit based on an established name.

That is an interesting idea. I can certainly see your point, but I can't say I'm inclined to go that way. If possible I would like to see this guild become its own entity, rather than something based off of someone else. That said, I can certainly see how that could get us off the ground faster.

So, yea, Pungi has already been on WoW talking you and the new Sith guild up Grimbeorn. I'm tempted to get the game just because teasing you is so much fun....

While I like the name you came up with, I agree with Icthus. I would definitely prefer pvp not rp (ew....just can't forget the brothel in Goldshire on the rp server in WoW).

Now for the important questions:

Are you going to allow spam on the forums?
and
Pie or Cake?

So, yea, Pungi has already been on WoW talking you and the new Sith guild up Grimbeorn. I'm tempted to get the game just because teasing you is so much fun....

Whatever it takes to bring people in, I guess. You already know that I have no qualms about returning the favor:).

Now for the important questions:

Are you going to allow spam on the forums?

I don't mind forum spam as long as it is somewhat limited. If it gets to be so much that it makes it difficult to follow the non-spam topics that could be a problem, but in general it seems to be just a somewhat strange way for people to interact with each other. Besides, I've allowed it thus far....

Pie or Cake?

Hmm.... a tough one. I've been having pie recently, but will be having cake soon enough. Can I have both?

First off whats ToJ(im new so give me a break)

Second, my vote is for PvP, and I agree with xpunginator that going rp would defeat the purpose of a christian guild.

Third, The dark side has cookies....not cake, or pie....COOKIES

Nazgul

Last edited:
ToJ is Tribe of Judah. That's the large Christian clan that has branches in many different games. This guild is one of those branches. You can look at www.toj.cc to see more about it if you like.

And you are absolutely right about the dark side having cookies, but who said that we can't ALSO have cake and pie? Cookies are what the dark side is confirmed to have, though.

So, yea, Pungi has already been on WoW talking you and the new Sith guild up Grimbeorn. I'm tempted to get the game just because Mordos will be there....
Fixt

While I like the name you came up with, I agree with Icthus. I would definitely prefer pvp not rp (ew....just can't forget the brothel in Goldshire on the rp server in WoW).

Same, I was in a guild for years and when we rolled from one game to another it was easier to just keep the same name.

Guild name: Called from Darkness ....I could go with that. Would prefer whatever name is chosen will stick to something "Sithy" like that one does.

I am DEFINITELY up for rolling on a PvP server. I probably spend about 75% of my time in MMO's engaged in PvP.

I don't think we were likely to go with TOJ, but some people want to go with "Redeemed" as the guild name because that is what our WoW chapter's name is. I am willing to go either way, I just prefer "Called from Darkness." For one thing, I think it sounds better as a name since it is both Biblical and Sith-like. Another reason why I would like to have a different name is because I would like to see this guild create its own identity, rather than trying to base itself off of our WoW chapter. However, I can certainly understand the potential advantage of using an already established and recognized name.

I like called from darkness. When people see this name they might not just see christianity and might be more comfortable asking us questions. Most non christian just ignore christian based clans, so if you wanted this could be a good way to spred the good news.

Just my thoughts.

P.S were did you get the name from anyways?

When I first started thinking about a name for this guild, I thought of a song that we sing in my church sometimes. It is based off of 1 Peter 2:9 which says: "But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light."

I just changed the "out of darkness" part to "from darkness" because I thought that sounded a bit better for a guild name. Thus I got "Called from Darkness."

You made good points about the name thing... Also, keep in mind that taking on a name from another chapter can bring with it positive, but negative as well.

So it may be good to start with our own identity.

You made good points about the name thing... Also, keep in mind that taking on a name from another chapter can bring with it positive, but negative as well.

So it may be good to start with our own identity.

I hadn't thought much about that, but you are correct. I hope that Redeemed's reputation is mostly positive, but there are certainly people who would have a negative reaction toward that name as well.

Another reason not to use the same name as our WoW chapter is because we are not the same guild as they are. This guild may have similar philosophies and such, but it won't exactly be Redeemed 2.0 or something like that.

The most influential role I ever had in Redeemed was a brief period where I was one of the head raid leaders, but Redeemed was undergoing some major leadership transitions at the time so there was very little that I actually influenced. I wasn't involved in Redeemed until two years after it started, so I only know what it was like after it had been established for quite some time. I was never even an officer in Redeemed.

Here, on the other hand, I will be one of the founding leaders of the guild. That means that my choices will have a significant impact on the course that this guild follows - a responsibility which I hope to handle well. Guild policies like how to choose other guild leaders/officers, who those people will be, and plenty of other things will be largely up to me to decide. That's why am so interested in getting outside input on those policies. I understand that not everyone will completely agree with the path this guild follows, but I hope that everyone will at least understand and respect that path.

Another reason we will be different from Redeemed is that Redeemed has been around for several years. The good thing about this is that we can learn from what Redeemed has done - both successes and failures. Redeemed has been very successful, but it hasn't been without its rough patches. Hopefully we can use that knowledge to eventually be as successful as Redeemed(or even more successful). Even if we have many of the same members as Redeemed has, the time difference will make this guild different. Everyone will be just learning how the game and the guild are going to work.

I understand how the initial construction of this guild might be easier if we go with a more recognizable name. I like easy, so that could be nice. However, I would like the reputation/success of this guild to be based off of who WE are... not who Redeemed was/is/will be. I think this game/guild has the potential to be successful without borrowing Redeemed's name. We still have the foundation of TOJ to back us up anyway. Also, regardless of whether we call ourselves "Redeemed," "Called from Darkness," or "We have cookies" we still have the most important thing in common with Redeemed and the rest of TOJ - God.

Of course,there's always a chance that I am just blowing this whole thing out of proportion and someone should give me a reality check before I start getting more delusions of grandeur. :rolleyes:

Back