ToJ vs. SoC - TF2 Scrim?

Sacrifice

Hey all,

I've been talking to Exhort, who is an officer from }SoC{ (Soldiers of Christ). We thought it might be fun to have a possible ToJ vs. SoC scrim in TF2 some evening. Nothing serious, just for fun and cake*. Any interest in such an event?

Sacrifice

*no cake will be provided.

I'll sign up as an alternate! (I would sign up as a main, but I'd rather not commit to a time and date.)

Thanks for the reply Tek7. Assuming we do have enough interest, what is the best evening for everyone? Or perhaps we can make it one of our TF2 Tuesdays?

Thanks for the reply Tek7. Assuming we do have enough interest, what is the best evening for everyone? Or perhaps we can make it one of our TF2 Tuesdays?
The Mighty Gerbil, Tribe of Judah's Team Fortress 2 Chapter Co-leader, would be the one to ask.

They have scrims on Saturday evening, so that is generally the good time for them. We will see what works out.

Hey all,

I've been talking to Exhort, who is an officer from }SoC{ (Soldiers of Christ). We thought it might be fun to have a possible ToJ vs. SoC scrim in TF2 some evening. Nothing serious, just for fun and cake*. Any interest in such an event?

Sacrifice

*no cake will be provided.

You've been reading my mind :). I've been having flights of fancy thinking of inter Christian clan tournaments with Christian Crew and SoC however my time is taken up with researching server modifications at the moment. That doesn't mean we can't do it but I'll have to see, make the appropriate forum posts, etc. At the moment the big thing is SoC's site is messed up for me and does not allow me to view it so I can't even go there (edit or at least it was, I just got in, miracles happen :) ).

Other things are...

Have the maps to scrim on decided on before time. Not strictly necessary and we can always add/change it later but it's always good to have a "game" plan :).
Soc will probably have more members show up than us so we may have to borrow a couple.
Have at least one admin committed to showing up at the appointed time.
Decide on a server (either would be fine with me but theirs is probably best).
Password our server, if it's our server. (I'd do this but I'd still have to know the date).
Post steam a steam event for it (I'll do this if it happens).
Post on both forums and Contact Toj TF2 players providing all information. Everything needs to be done at least a week ahead of time.

As for a date I would not make it a TF2 Tuesday because we have some players that come over from CC and I would not want to have to turn them away after working towards cementing that idea in everyone's mind. Also If we do it on their server on Tuesday we'd probably kill that Tuesday night on ours and I want to keep that as regular as possible. A Saturday (with at least a weeks notice) sounds fine though I don't know if I could commit to being the admin if it's on our server. Anyway you have my blessings and I will certainly contact Exhort but we will have to see (you can pm me via the forums or steam.).

Last edited:
So long as it isn't Saturday the 10th I could tentatively sign on as the designated admin.

It will most certainly not be the 10th so no worries. I haven't even talked to Exhort yet and it will most likely be on their server anyway.

I should be able to fill a spot as long as MG gets the details of the event out in a timely manner as he seems to be doing... :)

I've posted in the SoC forums http://www.teamsoc.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=38298&p=9638762#p9638762 .
If there is anything you guys want speak now before we get the ball rolling. I've yet to contact Toj'ers yet but I believe we can manage 6 as we've had several days with 10 members showing up and there are several members in this thread alone.

I'd like to officially request that on our next couple of TF2 game days we all make the best effort to work on our communication and teamwork. SoC has scrim experience and I'd like not to get pwn'ed too badly because we have no practice.
Let the training commence!

Last edited:
I'd like to officially request that on our next couple of TF2 game days we all make the best effort to work on our communication and teamwork. SoC has scrim experience and I'd like not to get pwn'ed too badly because we have no practice.
Roger that.

When and where should we hold our first practice? I'll try to be there.

Roger that.

When and where should we hold our first practice? I'll try to be there.

I'd just do it on our regular TF2 Tuesdays, just putting more effort for us all to be there, communicating, making sure to run the chosen maps (between others) etc. I'll attempt mic'age too if it works >.<. Hopefully my spam'in out info and strategies won't be taken as annoying to the pub'ers or ruin my allure of mystery :). We will probably have to split up into 2 groups to practice and make efforts to swap out different players so we can all have exp with each other. If we were all on the same team we could end up pwn'ing the pub'ers so badly they leave (here is hoping we are capable of it though :p)

I've got in contact with SoC and these are the details we've come up with and I'm running it by you guys before final confirmation. We'll be playing on their server and I'll distribute the IP and password later when it gets closer to game time. If you can make the commitment tell me in this thread and it will save me the trouble of hunting down that many players. We've got some leeway too (loaning players to the other team and such) so if you don't know you can still show and we may be able to fit you in.

The Details

Date: 1-17-2009
Time: 8PM EST (that's 7:00PM central a hour later than our regular time)
Size: 8v8
Maps: Badlands and Gravelpit
Class Restrictions: 1 medic, 1 demo, max 2 of everything else
Win conditions: [Badlands: Best of 5 rounds] [Gravelpit: most caps of 2 attack/defend rounds in the event of a tie we go to a third game]
Badlands will be run first. We will take red first on Gravelpit.
no crits
IP 69.13.38.158:2706
Password: To be announced

Interested Toj'ers should try to come for some practice on our regular TF2 Tuesday Game night

With the class restrictions we are going to have to guard that medic like he is gold o_O :). Two engineers is a given at all times except attacking on gravepit.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the next step Gerbil. I've been away/busy the last couple of days.

Obviously, I am in for the scrim. When we figure out who is in, we should have team a practice.

Last edited:
I want to help! I'll do my best to be on both tf2uesdays before. Engie and Pyro are my best.

That means you want to join the scrim on the 17th right? (I ask only because I need a clear yes so I can count the people). Even if you don't want to be in the official scrim (well technically it's just a for fun scrim) you are welcome to come to our TF Tuesdays as you said. It's (meaning the practice) not likely to be that different than normal except hopefully more communication, that's what I think we should all work on. Who is playing or doing what at what time, making sure we've got necessary classes, alerting players of incoming enemies etc.

Practicing the class restrictions is not possible at this time though we will practice on the chosen maps among our regular play selection.

Last edited:
I've played a few scrims and the gameplay has a different feel. It can be intense.

The key thing is to stay together; move from point to point together. Protect the single medic, uber is important. Stay near the turret and dispenser if on defense. Single player heroics will get everyone killed, just like in Left4Dead!

Last edited:
Back