ToJ vs. SoC - TF2 Scrim?

Should we put up a new forum for the forming scrim team? That way we can discuss tactics privately.

I'll talk to my wife and make sure we don't have anything scheduled for that date and time. If our calendar is clear (and it likely is, unless we travel out of town that weekend), then I'll come back to this thread and sign up as an alternate.

I like that idea tek like how we had forums for the cs teams... if we have enough players we could be looking at maybe getting two teams formed... but for now I'd stick with one.

If it's all right with everyone else I would really like to be the medic, not that we can't switch every now and then though.

Should we put up a new forum for the forming scrim team? That way we can discuss tactics privately.

It's probably a good idea to have a scrim forum to have some method of covert communication so we can discuss our uber 1337ness... or lack thereof :p (I did give the Soc leader a link to this thread in case they needed to speak to us, maybe I shouldn't have done that >.<). Now that a think about it I'd also like to have an additional closed practice match to discuss things (on top of TF2 Tuesdays) with just us at some time before the scrim. I'm thinking Practice Thursday the 15th 8:00PM Central? Just before the event so our strategies will be fresh in our minds.

I'd like to be in the scrim if I'm good enough to get the job done. I try to be a good medic too but I'm not that practiced at staying alive.

This is just for fun so don't worry about not being "skilled enough" to be in the scrim, however, as I'd say the goal of the scrim is to be more "teamy" I'd ask players to play classes based on what is best for the team. My meaning is this don't ask yourself what class you want to play step back and ask yourself what classes are you best at and what do we need at specific times. The role of the medic will most probably be the most important one on the team. We will just see who stands out best at what and wants what role. I'm not going to be micro managing things though, I want to keep everything as fun as possible not "you can't play that class [grrr mean face :p]", if you feel you need to switch to do something in the match by all means do so (I know I will) only keep everyone appraised at what you are playing/doing.

For my part while I can medic ok I usually end up living too well meaning I get stuck behind enemy lines becoming useless in a one medic situation. In a game with one medic he's going to have to stick like glue to the bulk of the team. I'm a very offensive solo player by nature but I avoid facing players head on if possible. I tend to be the guy that takes advantage of the enemy being distracted to place a knife, flame or really just about any weapon of any class to an opponents backside :D. I also tend to be the guy that annoys and delays the enemy by having them chase me for a couple minutes but if they have a scout that's problematic. In general I'd rate my performance in classes on a scale of one to ten (with ten being the best) as....

Medic: 5
Soldier: 2
Scout: 2
Sniper: 4
Pyro: 6
Spy: 6
Engineer: 4
Heavy: 5
Demo: 5 (but I generally have to warm up and get used to the aim when I switch)

Teamwork things to work on off the top of my head are...

Engineers:
Building one thing together before building their own things. Being sure to plunk out tele entrances at the start of each match.
Proper SG placement on a team with only 2 engys. I can't see the logic in placing them right next to each other. Covering each other yes, next to each other no.

Soldiers and the Demo:
Continually helping the medic build uber. Not just at the start but at the lulls between waves under the safety of SG's or Teammates.

Pyros:
Having one hanging around the Sgs in general. Blowing back enemy ubers.

Medic:
Buffing everyone in range not just healing one guy. The mark of a good medic is knowing when to heal only one guy (like a heavy taking fire) and buffing everyone in range the rest of the time. Helping Soldiers and Demos jump up to higher points. Rotating or standing in corners to on spy guard is a must as well.

General things:
Alerting teammates of enemy movements. Spies really have a monopoly on useful info but I rarely see them communicating it online. On offense sticking together, excepting spies who must be behind an enemy to be effective (so please don't run out right behind them and bring down fire on them o_O). A Scout on defense can actually be good at slowing down and distracting the enemy. Defense is all about running down the clock and breaking up enemy groups making attacks broken and ineffective things, not necessarily getting high kill counts.

Last edited:
Gerbil, I am sorry that i somehow missed your PM. The date\time work for me so you can count me in. I will be at tues. playtime this week and the next to work on strats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gerbil, I am sorry that i somehow missed your PM. The date\time work for me so you can count me in. I will be at tues. playtime this week and the next to work on strats.

Absolutely no apologizes necessary I'm always overjoyed CGA'ers can make it and glad you just missed the pm and didn't have a car wreck or something :D

So far I've got these people.

Annath
Tek
Sacrifice
The Mighty Gerbil
Saugon
Little Donnie J
Whon
Keero
Elihu

I am going to pm Rev (and maybe another) as well. I like having a couple alternates lined up as when we actually go to play we are assured eight players in case one of the guys can't make it. If everyone shows we can swap out players between maps so everyone has a chance to play or if SoC objects for some reason (I don't think they will) I'll sit out the games. At the very least the extra guys will be a great help in practice! Thank You.

Last edited:
There was talk of maybe having a private TF2 scrim forum? Is that still the plan? If so, we should discuss what classes each person is going to play within.

It seems some posts got lost in the last outage, so I would like to restate my interest in participating in this either as a primary or as a backup.

More general info...

I will be giving Soc final conformation on the scrim details tomorrow so if there is anything that needs changing speak now or forever hold your peace.

I've pm'ed about the possibility of a separate scrim forum.

Spectators will not be allowed in the match however the server is equipped with source TV. I will pm out the source tv server's IP nearer the date with all the other info.

To give everyone a chance to play we will need to swap out players possibly at the end of a round but I think it would be better, due to the amount of players (and managing it all), to swap at the midpoint map change. Be aware this means players not in the first lineup will have to wait to play but also since we do not have 16 players the top players should remain for both maps. Yes they will get more play time than others but this is for the good of the team plus it will require more pauses otherwise. If there are any objections or better ideas please post now. I don't want to be a dictator but It's got to be organized and I believe this would be for the best.

A reminder practice will be on our regular TF2 Tuesday the 13th and a Closed practice will be on Thursday the 15th both at 8:00 pm central. Our first Tuesday was not much of a practice so for our next I'll try to spam teamspeak more (so make sure you have it http://www.cgalliance.org/teamspeak ). I'd imagine most of our preparations will be on Thursday though (I'll try to write down some things to cover before then).

Our current roster is...

Tek7
Whon
Sacrifice
Sarugon
Annath
Keero
Elihu
rev_rog
Zanthox
shadetaker
Parabellum
Kiljoy
The Mighty Gerbil

LittleDonnieJ was removed by request

Last edited:
Games!

Wow, I haven't had time to check this website for a few days but what I hear sounds like a lot of fun! Unfortunantely, my Tuesday night schedule has changed so I can't make the normal toj TF2 night anymore. :( But, Saturday, the 17th I would be available to play, but not until after 8pm central time. By the way, I think you've got a misprint in your post...
8pm Eastern = 7pm Central, not 9pm Central time.

It sounds like you guys already have plenty of players to field 4 vs 4 but it sure sounds like fun. Perhaps I could be placed on the alternate list for after 8pm central? Sometimes people can't always play the whole allotted time or have to leave early...

I've played all the classes, but my best classes are usually Medic and Engineer.

- Lance

a.k.a. Luvdiscgolf

Wow, I haven't had time to check this website for a few days but what I hear sounds like a lot of fun! Unfortunantely, my Tuesday night schedule has changed so I can't make the normal toj TF2 night anymore. :( But, Saturday, the 17th I would be available to play, but not until after 8pm central time. By the way, I think you've got a misprint in your post...
8pm Eastern = 7pm Central, not 9pm Central time.

Thanks I always write it down wrong >.< I'll correct it.

It sounds like you guys already have plenty of players to field 4 vs 4 but it sure sounds like fun. Perhaps I could be placed on the alternate list for after 8pm central? Sometimes people can't always play the whole allotted time or have to leave early...

I've played all the classes, but my best classes are usually Medic and Engineer.

- Lance

a.k.a. Luvdiscgolf

Thursday the 15th is our closed practice session if you'd like to try to show up for that. You'll need to get teamspeak if you haven't already http://www.cgalliance.org/teamspeak . I'll be sending out details in a pm sometime before the official match so watch for that.

I should be able to make the 15th. Thanks for the Teamspeak link, I'll get that set up this weekend.

Thanks,
Lance

I don't suppose that anyone would be up for doing another scrim practice on friday night after the one on thursday would they? I just realized I won't be able to be there thursday until at least after 10:00 PM mountain time.

I don't suppose that anyone would be up for doing another scrim practice on friday night after the one on thursday would they? I just realized I won't be able to be there thursday until at least after 10:00 PM mountain time.
Near the end of the scrim practice last night, we decided to attempt to hold another practice tonight (Friday, Jan. 16) starting at 8 p.m. Central.

If we have enough people join, we'll keep the server password-protected and hold the practice. If we don't have enough people join, we'll remove the password from the server and open it up to the public.

A big thank you to all who made it out to our impromptu practice on the server last night. The ideas gained from it will be helpful in our scrim match today. I look forward to seeing many of you there.

Do your best to get there early tonight for the game, we'd like a 30 min headsup of who's going to be there and who isn't. I'm sure Gerbil will work out either before or at that point who will be participating in the first match. Please be prepared to play when called upon and if you are asked to sit out until the second match, please do not take it personally as Gerbil will be making choices that are tough for him as well.

Remember to breathe, communicate well, aim smart, and above all set a good example. We are playing against another Christian clan so remember that these are our brothers\sisters in Christ.

My personal hard one is to Remember to Breathe... I get too excited and worked up then my construction worker side comes out and I have to remember to control myself.

Edit: Is it just me or can anyone else ping that server address I can't even find it on Game Server Search

69.13.38.158:2706

Last edited:
The problem is that the port should be 27016, but the weird thing is I checked game tracker and the server running on port 27017 is named "}SoC{ CEVO TF2 Match Server".

EDIT: It appears they spend more time on the server at 27016 so that is most likely the match server.

Last edited:
Back