FOOD!!!!!!!!

I'm partially deaf so if I say the music is too loud it probably is. We were smart and order one small for two of us, we finished them all. *burp*
Oh. I totally believe it's too loud. I just don't remember things like that most of the time... especially when my sense of taste demands my full focus like it does at Five Guys. Omnomnom.

Only time I ate at Five Guys was this past summer. I had a "lettuce wrapped" bunless cheese burger and a few fries. The cheese burger was still good as I'm a Paleo/low carb eater. The fries were soggy and ok. I've tasted better.

Never been to Five Guys - but I can't imagine enjoying a hamburger and fries more than In-N-Out

Never been to Five Guys - but I can't imagine enjoying a hamburger and fries more than In-N-Out
See, I understand that position. I'm not in a hurry to make such a claim myself, but I understand it. I think of In-N-Out and Five Guys as totally different beasts, and I love both. :D

By the Six, I miss In-N-Out now. Someone fly me to Cali? :D

Trying to get caught up:
Waffle House: Ugh. Went to one before Colorado banned smoking and the entire place reeked of smoke. Even though they had "non smoking" tables, the place is so small, you can't get away from it. Went back a year or so after smoking was banned, but the place still stunk and seeing the menu prices made me smoke inside...lol. We have four or five in my town.

Five Guys: Love them, but pretty expensive. You'll easily spend ten bucks (in our area, anyway) if you get the standard burger, fries, coke. I prefer Culver's, which is a Wisconsin chain that is expanding, and Freddy's, which is a Kansas brand that just came to our area. Both are very reasonably priced and the burgers and other menu items are awesome.

Many of us ex-Cali people used to crave and petiton In-N-Out to move here to Colorado, but since Culver's and Freddy's moved here, the movement has almost died. Trader Joe's is finally opening stores in Colorado, however.

Ok it seems we have wandered into The Great American Burger debate, which is an ongoing debate everywhere. The problem is it has a tendency to lump the high end small specialty shops like Fat Pattys in with the run-of-the-mill ones like White Castle and BK. Five Guys falls squarely in the middle there, and small high quality chains like Burgerville in Oregon and Washington, and Bill Thomas Halo Burger in and around Flint, MI fall into their own category. And where do you place a bar and grill you stumble on named the Keyhole Bar in Mackinaw City, MI at 0100 in the morning which has superbe burgers? No wonder there is never an agreement on where the best are. So let's just throw one more out there, one that try's for the oldies theme more often than not.

Sonic

Last edited:
I have friends and people I respect who love sonic. One finally opened in our area. I gave it two tries - both were miserable experiences - food - service - ambience - all below par or worse.

I'm not a Sonic fan... EXCEPT for cranberry limeades. I less-than-three those, especially during half-price happy hours. :D

Yes! The only reason we ever go to Sonic is for happy hour fruit drinks. It's usually in the context of a treat for the family while out shopping.

To throw a another burger chain into the mix, we like to visit Red Robin on occasion. It's pricey, so our visits are rare, and sometimes my wife and I share a terriyaki chicken burger. We also, of course, go for birthdays when one person gets their burger free. Definitely noisy, though, and the televisions suck the kids attention. They don't watch TV at home, so they're particularly susceptible.

Speaking of noisy places here is a place that surely must qualify in that area. Our kettle counters got one of their tokens in a kettle, and it just reminds me to NEVER go there. I did find a review of it on line, which tells me to never, never, NEVER go there. But for some families this has to be a mecca of entertainment.

Billy Bob's Wonderland

Barboursville, WV of all places. http://www.retrojunk.com/content/article/10436/index/

Just took Mom out for her Christmas dinner today because she will be visiting elsewhere for Christmas. We went to a Mexican/American place where she insisted on having a combination dinner that included the good old stand by, the ever popular:

Burrito

Visit Portland, OR. Go to Muchas Gracias. Order any of their burritos. Ask them to deep fry it. Feel certain you've died and gone to food heaven.

Seriously. Muchas Gracias is the only thing about the area I really miss (I don't include people in this particular case in order to make my fondness for Muchas sound more dramatic). I have yet to find Mexican food anywhere (yeah, even in California) that even comes close for me. It's magic.

Their chicken burrito is especially amazing. And the one that is carne asada, rice, refried beans, cheese... then have it deep fried because awesome.

Shoot. Now I want a really good burrito.

Good thing I'm getting a burrito (though more than a little too Americanized to hold my high affection) for dinner tonight at Tijuana Flats. :D

never have been a big burrito lover - prefer tacos. At Chipotle you can get your burrito in a bowl - I've had that before - but is that really a burrito, or just a salad?

never have been a big burrito lover - prefer tacos. At Chipotle you can get your burrito in a bowl - I've had that before - but is that really a burrito, or just a salad?

It's a miracle is what it is! There is nothing NOT to love about the burrito bowls!

My sister makes a great taco salad it has lettuce,tomato,regular dorito's,kidney beans,catalina salad dressing,a variety of shredded cheeses and not sure what the rest is but it's awesome

Back