FOOD!!!!!!!!

Never heard of the Shooter sandwich, but after reviewing the link and the ingredients, that looks like something to try.

What kind of sauce is that being used? Is that Worcestershire?

it is half Worcestershire and half Dijon mustard. And sorry i didn't notice the vulgar verbage he used in one of the pictures.

Fuzzy please try to keep this G, but thanks for the apology. Now for today I thought we might go for something that has strong roots in the gold mining days of California. I have heard the rumor that some bakeries in San Francisco claim to have starter that goes back to those days.

Sourdough bread.

Love me some sourdough bread. My mom has a starter going back at least 15 years or so from a lady that's now dead (no telling how long she had it). She makes loaves rather than the bowl-shapes, and it makes the best grilled cheese or french toast I've ever had.

Nothing beats San Francisco Clam Chowder in a San Francisco Sourdough bread bowl. Nothing.

I'm tempted to head down there tonight just for dinner.

Slow risen bread is awesome.

I wish I had an oven with the ability to do steam injection, so I could get real crusts in my homemade bread.

Or a masonry wood stove in the center of my house with a oven build into it. That's another dream. Someday, maybe...

Sorry a little behind, been sick and been busy. Now for the next item, which is popular over much of the US, but claims to have it's origin in the early TX trail drive days. There is no one recipe, and many things have gone into it, even cinnamon and molasses. I would even have to include the abomination from Cincinnati, Gold Stars 5 way which is spreading ever southward. The ever popular:

Chili

I've had rattlesnake chili which is pretty good. Elk chili is great.

As for making chili, I have better success with canned beans than dried for some reason. And that's following the necessary prep steps involved.

Yum... Chili... not too hot, not too mild. In a sourdough bread bowl is awesome! Perfect on a cool, fall day.

Krispy Kreme: We had one in Colorado Springs a few years ago. It opened to great fanfare and lots of traffic. Business dropped off within three or four years as the novelty wore off and it went out of business. Tiny, expensive doughnuts. I didn't get what all the fuss was about.

I'm surprised no one as argued about proper meat so far, goat, venison, elk, shredded beef, ground beef, ground chuck, ground sirloin, chicken, turkey, it's all been tried with varying degrees of success.

My wife made a chili that was really good but I thought the ground beef was maybe a little dry. I thought that it was probably extra lean or something. Turns out she snuck in vegetable protein and it was really good. That's all she makes now.

I love white chili. I make a big batch every year some time in December or January with the frozen turkey left over from Thanksgiving. Wonderful warmth in the middle of winter.

While we are strolling around in the southern section of the US there is a combo sweet treat which is some what regional:
Moonpie and RC Cola

Talk about a sugar rush!!!

Ok now that we are a few days behind let's try this again. This time let's go for a food establishment itself. Problem there is that when you start getting into those, finding one that is widespread and decent is a problem. One of the best fast food I know of that is widespread, note widespread not regional or local, is:

Wendy's

I also like that so I can support the Dave Thomas Foundation a little.

Back