FOOD!!!!!!!!

The real loss will be the places that serve deep fried Twinkies. The ultimate in American junk food cuisine.

It is interesting that the prices on Twinkies have gone crazy. Some are reselling on Ebay for as much as $300 USD a box. We were speaking about pies for Thanksgiving, can I bring a vinegar pie?

at first thought of vinegar pie i started to cringe...but then i remembered some things taste good eventhough they sound repulsive lol

Ok guess I'm gonna hafta complete the list.

Stuffing
Mashed Potatoes (with gravy)
Green Bean Casserol
Fresh Veggie tray for my better half (green peppers, raw broccoli, raw cauliflower, carrots)
Green Olives and Black olives

With what everyone else is bringing we should be all set.

Ok now that we have survived the first food stupor what are we gonna do about the leftover turkey? I have two suggestions, hopefully y'all have more.
Hot turkey open face sandwiches
Turkey Croquettes

Our Salvation Army corps had it's community meal entitled Showers of Blessings today. It is open to anyone who would like to come, and today we had something special. Donated Red Lobster food. Yum!! So what on our many items would you like? We even had fresh homemade Million Dollar and Chocolate Chip cookies along with pumpkin pie, and apple pie.
Broiled salmon
Seafood Stuffed Mushrooms
Fried Shrimp
Crab legs
Broiled white fish
Chicken strips
Stuffed shrimp
carrots
mashed potatoes
Coconut shrimp
broiled shrimp
Or one of the many desserts?

Who say's that in a community dinner ya hafta have soup and sandwich?
Unfortunately we are canceled next week for a big Christmas party for young 'uns sponsored by Sheetz in this area.

Our Salvation Army corps had it's community meal entitled Showers of Blessings today. It is open to anyone who would like to come, and today we had something special. Donated Red Lobster food. Yum!! So what on our many items would you like? We even had fresh homemade Million Dollar and Chocolate Chip cookies along with pumpkin pie, and apple pie.
Broiled salmon
Seafood Stuffed Mushrooms
Fried Shrimp
Crab legs
Broiled white fish
Chicken strips
Stuffed shrimp
carrots
mashed potatoes
Coconut shrimp
broiled shrimp
Or one of the many desserts?

Who say's that in a community dinner ya hafta have soup and sandwich?
Unfortunately we are canceled next week for a big Christmas party for young 'uns sponsored by Sheetz in this area.

I think that is awesome..as the holidays approach i have been keeping my ears and eyes open to find a good place to serve.
today i helped a man and his wife move since he has had a stroke he can't do alot of heavy stuff.
just knowing they honestly appreciated it made it worth every effort

I love salmon. So tasty.

As to leftover turkey, we've already had Turkey Carcass Soup with Dumplings. This year's turned out to be the best year I've made it. We've also, of course, had turkey sandwiches on fresh bread from a local bakery with sharp cheddar. Lastly, we made Turkey Enchiladas which turned out really well.

I've got two bags of turkey left in the freezer. One is earmarked for white chilli, though I'll probably wait for it to get cold before making that. Weird to be having 60 degree days in early December here in Michigan. The other bag is awaiting inspiration.

I heard poor Marquette MI is down to bare ground and 60 degrees and my reaction was, "Whut????". For this time of year that is a disaster for that area. No skiing, no snowmobiling, no icefishing, no money made on snow clearing, no winter tourism, no snowshoeing. But most important no snowbanks to "yump into" after da Sauna. And so from that area we will do a local food treat called:

Trenary Toast

I wasn't aware of Trenary Toast, but my wife is very fond of making her own cinnamon and sugar toast.

A warm winter isn't just bad for tourism. Some of the crops depend on the winter getting cold.

We had a terrible year for cherries this year because things warmed up so early. The cherry trees started budding, then got hit by a frost that knocked out most of the crop.

While we are in da Yoo P, let's go to Ralph's Deli in Ishpeming, MI and get some:

Cudighi

If we buy it in bulk we can make some pretty amazing stuffed mushrooms with it. Although I now live in the Appalachians, we raised our daughter in Da Yoo P and when she goes back to visit there she buys Ralph's cudighi, freezes it, and brings it back to Florida in her luggage. She makes the best cudighi stuffed mushrooms in the world.

It's like a whole other world up there, eh? Even living in Michigan, I haven't heard of half the Yooper food you bring up. :D

Italian sausage is good, though I'll repeat myself from the Bratwurst discussion long ago. If it's going to be eaten on a roll, it should be a really good roll. A mediocre sausage can be great on a slow-risen crusty bread, but even a really good sausage is diminished by a bland, squishy roll out of a plastic bag off the shelf from the grocery store.

One of the quick and dirty staple meals at our house is pasta and marinara. Quick and easy to fix. Lately I've been taking to tossing in Italian sausage, which takes it from boring to a good meal.

Looks like I need to visit the UP again. I'll have to keep an eye out for Cudighi next time.

Dey luv to take money from touristy Trolls (those who live below THE BRIDGE) any old time. And a food from your area.

Cherry Pie.

Back