GFC Chapter a Day Bible Challenge (Book of Proverbs) January 2010!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Proverbs 13:18 said:
He who ignores discipline comes to poverty and shame, but whoever heeds correction is honored.

Sometimes it's very difficult to accept correction, but it is necessary for all.

The faithless will be fully repaid for their ways, and the good man rewarded for his. Proverbs 14:14 (NIV)

Another one of those 'you will reap what you sow" verses.

Proverbs 13:3 Careful words make for a careful life;
careless talk may ruin everything.

I liked this in the Message a lot. Need to be careful what we say

Proverbs 14: 1 Lady Wisdom builds a lovely home; Sir Fool comes along and tears it down brick by brick.

I just liked the way this was worded. It helped personify the two very well.

more to come ....

Proverbs 14: 7 Escape quickly from the company of fools;
they're a waste of your time, a waste of your words.

oh, how much I would have back if I had learned this many years ago.

Proverbs 14:5 said:
5. A truthful witness does not deceive, but a false witness pours out lies.

I think Solomon had a "No duh" moment here...

OF course the message puts it in a better light I think...

Proverbs 14:5 The Message said:
5.A true witness never lies; a false witness makes a business of it.

Last edited:
It's a school of hard knocks for those who leave God's path, a dead-end street for those who hate God's rules. Proverbs 15:10 (MSG)

That is the way it really is.

Proverbs 15:10 said:
10. Stern discipline awaits him who leaves the path; he who hates correction will die.

Hmmm, You hate correction and you are stupid (Proverbs 12:1) PLus if you hate it your gonna die... Interesting combo...

Proverbs 16:4 said:
4. The LORD works out everything for his own ends-- even the wicked for a day of disaster.

Even if things don't seem the best right now. Remember God works everything out in the end. Just like an author finishes his book with a happy ending, God has one for you. :)

Whoever mistreats the poor insults their Maker; whoever enjoys someone’s trouble will be punished. Proverbs 17:5 (NCV)

Proverbs 15: 1 A gentle response defuses anger, but a sharp tongue kindles a temper-fire.

Well, I should have stayed on track with my reading and actually read this on the 15th. Would have avoided some nasty situations.

Proverbs 15: 29 God keeps his distance from the wicked;
he closely attends to the prayers of God-loyal people.

Nothing in 16 really jumped out at me

Proverbs 17: 27 The one who knows much says little;
an understanding person remains calm.

I like this, especially coupled with Verse 28

28 Even dunces who keep quiet are thought to be wise;
as long as they keep their mouths shut, they're smart.

Yes we do - Thanks for that verse.

A fool's lips bring him strife, and his mouth invites a beating. A fool's mouth is his undoing, and his lips are a snare to his soul. Proverbs 18:6-7 (NIV)

Proverbs could have added what often happens next - the fool will blame God for the trouble his own mouth causes.

Proverbs 19:3 A man's own foolishness leads him astray,
yet his heart rages against the LORD.

and from The Message

Proverbs 19: 3 People ruin their lives by their own stupidity,
so why does God always get blamed?

Sometimes we have to step it up and admit we screwed up by not doing what is right (not what is easy). We have to put ourselves aside and honor what God would have us do.

People ruin their lives by their own foolishness and then are angry at the Lord. Proverbs 19:3 (NLT)

This is another version of yesterday's verse - same truth - God gets the blame for our foolishness.

I just noticed this was your selection, too, Genesis. lol

Proverbs 19:18 NIV said:
18. Discipline your son, for in that there is hope; do not be a willing party to his death.

Proverbs 19:18 Message said:
18. Discipline your children while you still have the chance; indulging them destroys them.

I like this verse as the Message and the NIV versions both state the same thing.

Parents need to grow some backbone and not be afraid to discipline their children. While they are not exactly the same, training a child is a lot like training a dog. All the affirmation and praise in the world when they do something good is not going to reinforce the good behavior unless they are scolded and told "NO" when they behave badly.

I have a puppy and he knows when he did something he shouldn't because I taught 1.) what he is allowed to do (Bark only when someone is at the door or when I tell him too) and 2.) When he does bark when he is not supposed to I use a firm, fair punishment. (He hates the taste of lemon juice, so a small squirt in the mouth with a firm NO stops him in his tracks. Totally safe and Vet approved!)

He knows the difference and I show it to him. How many people do that with their children? Most parents I see go from one extreme to the other (Loving and spoiling to rage) when dealing with their children.

You have to be fair and consistent with your kids. Your the adult, they are the child. Despite what Disney would have you believe, your kids are not ready to replace you and deal with the world themselves. And Despite what mainstream media says about parents, you are not dumb and only watch your TV and keep the house tidy.

God called you to be more. SO get up, work on having a backbone with your kids. Don't be militant (unless God tells you to be) but also don't be a doormat and let your kids walk all over you. I know from experience that your kids will respect you more for your consistency in your dealings.

Remember Proverbs 13:24?

Proverbs 13:24 said:
He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him.

Do you hate your kids? Do you want to see them destroyed?

5 A false witness will not go unpunished,and he who pours out lies will not go free.
Pro 19:5

Nothing in 20 stood out today. I read in a couple translations, but nothing jumped out. It may be where I am right now, which is the reason so I am going to try again tonight and see if anything is more pronounced.

3 It is to a man's honor to avoid strife, but every fool is quick to quarrel.
Proverbs 20:3

24 A man's steps are directed by the LORD. How then can anyone understand his own way?
Proverbs 20:24

25 It is a trap for a man to dedicate something rashly and only later to consider his vows.
Proverbs 20:25

Lazy farmers don't plow when they should; they expect a harvest, but there is none. Proverbs 20:4 (NCV)

A problem in our culture today - people who want the harvest without putting in the time and energy of plowing the field.

Proverbs 20:8 NIV said:
8. When a king sits on his throne to judge, he winnows out all evil with his eyes.

Proverbs20:8 Message said:
8.Leaders who know their business and care keep a sharp eye out for the shoddy and cheap,

I need to learn how to distinguish one from the other better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back