GFC Chapter a Day Bible Challenge (Book of Proverbs) January 2010!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Proverbs 1:32 For the turning away of the simple shall slay them, and the prosperity of fools shall destroy them.

Seeking prosperity without wisdom is a pointless endeavor. Without wisdom, you couldn't hope to keep it even if you achieved it, and what you do manage to keep could very well turn out to be destructive to you in the end. Sometimes well intentioned people get themselves into a trap of thinking they will work hard to put themselves in a better position in the worldly sense so that from there they could serve God better, only to find that this ambition keeps them too busy to be able to serve God at all.

How useless to spread a net in full view of all the birds! Proverbs 1:17 (NIV)

Lots of applications here.

Proverbs 1: 29 Because they hated knowledge,
didn't choose to fear the LORD,

30 were not interested in my counsel,
and rejected all my correction,

31 they will eat the fruit of their way
and be glutted with their own schemes.

This is something I need to remember and not try to force a situation.

Proverbs 2:5 then you will understand the fear of the LORD
and discover the knowledge of God.

I think this verse could sum up what I started experiencing in 2009 and hope to develop in 2010.

Wisdom will save you from the ways of wicked men, from men whose words are perverse. Proverbs 2:12 (NIV)

Last edited:

Out of context the meaning can be lost - but we are all reading through the whole Proverb.

We (the wise) are not the ones spreading the net - that is the wicked person that it talks about before and after. We are the birds. The idea is that - if we keep our eyes open and stay alert we will not be caught in the snares that are thrown out for us.

When I said, "lots of applications," I was referring to whatever temptations any one of us is facing. Most of us have many - what is it that draws anger, resentment, laziness, lust...whatever...keep an eye out to avoid that snare. If we stay alert we can protect ourselves from falling into that trap.

Proverbs 2:9 said:
9. Then you will understand what is right and just and fair--every good path.

By having this understanding, when we have to choose one path over another, we can easily pick the correct path God has for us. We will also have a better understanding of how the Lord works when He dispenses His justice and His fairness on the world.

Out of context the meaning can be lost - but we are all reading through the whole Proverb.

We (the wise) are not the ones spreading the net - that is the wicked person that it talks about before and after. We are the birds. The idea is that - if we keep our eyes open and stay alert we will not be caught in the snares that are thrown out for us.

When I said, "lots of applications," I was referring to whatever temptations any one of us is facing. Most of us have many - what is it that draws anger, resentment, laziness, lust...whatever...keep an eye out to avoid that snare. If we stay alert we can protect ourselves from falling into that trap.

Thank you. :)

Proverbs 2:10 When wisdom entereth into thine heart, and knowledge is pleasant unto thy soul;

How do you know when you've started to gain some wisdom? When knowledge has started to become pleasant to you instead of distressing or inconvenient. When you start appreciating the value of truth instead of feeling like it's personally out to get you to stop you from whatever you're doing.

Proverbs 3:11-12 My son, despise not the chastening of the LORD; neither be weary of his correction: For whom the LORD loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.

A continuance of the above thought, after knowledge must come discipline to put that knowledge to good use. We will never get to the point where we know everything or can put our mortal self aside completely to act in perfect accordance with what we know, so the Lord corrects us to train us to be stronger and better, and ultimately happier, than we originally are. The more we can receive His correction with a joyful heart the better off we will be. It is an act of love on His part to do this for us, not a punishment or expression of disappointment to fear or run away from.

Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man. Proverbs 3:4 (NIV)

Reminds me of Jesus:

And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men. Luke 2:52 (NIV)

Proverbs 3 5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
and do not rely on your own understanding;

6 think about Him in all your ways,
and He will guide you on the right paths

LOL I read through Proverbs online as I am sure others do (it makes posting the quotes easier). Well I went to pull up Proverbs 3 and these two verses came up. I love these verses (even have them on the wall of our dining room) and I thought how appropriate these verses are tonight. HCS and I went through our 2010 budget and things are tight this year. I kept saying through the whole thing....I know that the numbers don't look good, but I really trust that God is going to see us through this, or I said, just wait, God will provide. I know we need to act responsibly, but I also really believe that God is going to move mightily this year. I don't know how, but I believe and think that what He is going to do it going to be awesome and will restore some things that are long outstanding.

So, long story made longer :) See above quote and all will come together

Proverbs 4: 26 Carefully consider the path for your feet,
and all your ways will be established.

27 Don't turn to the right or to the left;
keep your feet away from evil.

It is really easy to continue walking down a dangerous path, once you have started on it.

Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you; love her, and she will watch over you. Proverbs 4:6 (NIV)

Wisdom really is there for you - you can count on her.

Proverbs 4:14-15 Enter not into the path of the wicked, and go not in the way of evil men. Avoid it, pass not by it, turn from it, and pass away.

Sometimes we think we can safely travel some of the paths of the wicked, either out of greed or envy, wanting to gain some things from those places that we see others getting, or from goodheartedness, wanting to help other people who are there. We may think we are strong enough that we can be in those places without suffering from or contributing to the wickedness that is there, but often we turn out to be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back