"Pokemon X/Y" or "My Pokemans, Let Me Show You Them"

I think breeding gets much more complicated when breeding competitive Pokemon, things included are: IVs, natures, and egg moves; I think breeding these kind of Pokemon are really better doing post-game - at least then you'll have access to a town which has a guy that can tell you about your Pokemon's IVs.

You could breed your starters with compatible partners and trade them through the wonder trade. Most of the time, from my experience, you get all kinds of Pokemon.

I've been trying to breed some Pokemon for competitive play while using the Masuda method to increase chances the hatching Pokemon to be a shiny. One Pokemon that confused me was Froakie, both the shiny sprite and the normal sprite are quite similar :p

I think breeding gets much more complicated when breeding competitive Pokemon, things included are: IVs, natures, and egg moves; I think breeding these kind of Pokemon are really better doing post-game - at least then you'll have access to a town which has a guy that can tell you about your Pokemon's IVs.

You could breed your starters with compatible partners and trade them through the wonder trade. Most of the time, from my experience, you get all kinds of Pokemon.

I've been trying to breed some Pokemon for competitive play while using the Masuda method to increase chances the hatching Pokemon to be a shiny. One Pokemon that confused me was Froakie, both the shiny sprite and the normal sprite are quite similar :p

I was reading up on some pokemon game mechanics. And realized there is some deep pokemon development if one wanted to work with them. Do you get into the EV (I think) training side of things? Also I really have not played a pokemon game fully since the old game boy days of the first games, yellow. So I am really over my head a bit. Lol also do you have any suggestions for a newbie of sorts? :p

Yes, Pokemon is much more complicated that it seems, have you seen the algorithm for catching Pokemon ? :p I really started Pokemon at Sapphire when I got my first GBA SP, but I did trade my Ruby for my friend's Blue for some reason.

I'm not too sure about IVs, but EVs, effort values are gained while training Pokemon. Each Pokemon has a certain amount of effort values that they give to the Pokemon that defeated them (they are only given through wild Pokemon and trainer's Pokemon, not other player's Pokemon). If you get 10, I think, of an effort value, you get an extra stat for it when you level up.

For example:

In Pokemon Emerald, I caught a Rayquaza and trained it from level 70 to 71 on nothing but Spindas which yield 1 SP.ATK EV per one. Since I defeated a lot of them to get to 71, my Rayquaza's SP.ATK went up by about 27.

There are also other factors that boost up the number of EVs you get, that includes natures and some items such as a macho bracer. Of course there is a limit though, each Pokemon can gain a maximum of 510 EVs, and 255 EVs is the maximum for each stat so you won't get over powered Pokemon.

I wouldn't really bother about EVs and IVs until post-game, or unless you want to battle against other trainers through the PSS.

I'm steamrolling almost every adversary with the Farfetch'd (now level 52) I picked up in an NPC trade in the first (or was it second?) town. I'm seriously considering benching him and my level 47 Lampent in favor of catching new Pokes and building a new team.

I don't like when I have to grind levels and I don't like when games are difficult just for the sake of being difficult, but X has been far too easy so far and I'd like to play knowing there's at least the possibility that I could get knocked out (or at least knocked around) in any given encounter.

To prevent spoilers,

You could turn off exp share if you have it on; the levels get quite dynamic during the latter parts of the game, but other than that, the PSS is where you might get a challenge. I have some Y exclusive Pokemon if you want any of those.

To prevent spoilers,

You could turn off exp share if you have it on; the levels get quite dynamic during the latter parts of the game, but other than that, the PSS is where you might get a challenge. I have some Y exclusive Pokemon if you want any of those.
I would love to snag some Y-exclusive Pokes, but I feel bad that I don't have anything of value to offer in exchange. It feels like everyone's got a stable of level 100 legendaries and I'm putzing around with a level 52 Farfetch'd with 3 badges.

In short, it feels like I'm miles behind everyone else. Y'know, like in almost every other game I play. :p

But yeah, I'll take 'em. :) Let me know if you want anything for trade, though!

It's fine, I don't really need anything :) All of the Y exclusives I have are from the wonder trade and the GTS. The GTS can be ridiculous at times, almost everyone wants their Pokemon for a legendary. If you could though, would you mind helping me evolve a Scyther when I get one since they evolve through trade. If I did it anonymously, I probably won't be getting it back :p

Hey, I don't have any level 100's yet :p The highest I have is a level 78 I think.

It's fine, I don't really need anything :) All of the Y exclusives I have are from the wonder trade and the GTS. The GTS can be ridiculous at times, almost everyone wants their Pokemon for a legendary.
Yep. Sounds like the Internet to me.

If you could though, would you mind helping me evolve a Scyther when I get one since they evolve through trade.
I'd love to help!

What days and times do you usually play?

We may want to agree on a way to contact each other (e.g. Steam, Facebook message, IRC, etc.) to make the trade since the 3DS doesn't support messaging Friends.

If I did it anonymously, I probably won't be getting it back :p
Indeed.

Hey, I don't have any level 100's yet :p The highest I have is a level 78 I think.
I think that may be higher than any Poke I trained in Black and I made it all the way to the Elite Four rematch (then quit the game after estimating how much I'd need to grind to win those fights).

Just a curious question about the poke bank. If I move all my pokemon to the bank I can restart my game later to get the other starters correct??? Or do I lose all my bank access?? If I read the articles right, that is how they read to me.

I haven't really been playing recently, I have loads of stuff to do so I only play every now again for 10 minutes. But I'll probably message you on Facebook or Steam when I get the chance.

I'm not quite sure about the Poke Bank, I think it's cloud-based so all your poke are saved on the internet so you should be ok to restart, but I'm not sure.

About to head in to the Fairy-type gym with Lampent, Delphox, Tentacool, Steelix, Farfetch'd, and Venusaur.

About to head in to the Fairy-type gym with Lampent, Delphox, Tentacool, Steelix, Farfetch'd, and Venusaur.
And I won! :D

I'm thinking it's about time I study up on breeding and start working on collecting Y-exclusive Pokes.

If you could though, would you mind helping me evolve a Scyther when I get one since they evolve through trade. If I did it anonymously, I probably won't be getting it back :p
Speaking of Pokes that evolve by trade, I'm going to try to snatch a Swirlix, but I'll need some help from a Trainer I can trust to trade and evolve it to a Slurpuff.

Okay, so when you breed two Pokemon, the resulting Pokemon takes after the mother, not the father. I discovered that when I hatched two Litwicks instead of two Ralts (Raltses?).

Oh well. Litwick is a pretty cool Pokemon. :) Maybe I can try to trade it for a female Ralts...

I think the bred pokemon does take from the mother, you can also make the mother hold an everstone so it will pass on its nature to the egg.

I just started playing again today when I found a download code for Super mario bros in my email, then I found out that I could use Poke bank, then I found out I could use Poke Transfer so I've just transferred all my 37 Pokemon from Black 2 to X.

I also just tried testing them on the battle spot thing. My first team was Keldeo, Heatran, White Kyurem, and Zekrom, and I lost both of the matches in double battle lol. Then I went on for a triple battle with my team from Black 2 which was Serperior, Volcrona, Arcanine, shiny Garchomp, Keldeo, Dragonite and I lost that one too :p

After several failed attempts, I captured a Basculin with Soak. Huzzah!

Got 2/4 moves (the first being False Swipe) ready for when I build my uber-catcher Smeargle. :D

If I can stand to grind levels with Amoonguss, I'll get Spore as well.

I haven't decided on a fourth move yet...

I'm seriously considering trying to collect all 16 Vivillon patterns after I finish the main story.

I'm already gathering information...

I have a Vivillon Modern pattern available for trade for any other Vivillon pattern.

For more information on Vivillon patterns, check out http://imgur.com/a/0Qt5N

I've been through the 11 boxes of Pokemon I transferred from Black to X over and over again, but I can not find the Larvesta I could have sworn I had. I don't remember trading it away and it isn't like me to trade away my last or only Poke of any species.

That being said, is anyone able to breed a Larvesta? If so, what would you want for trade? :)

EDIT: And yes, I already checked my Day Care in Pokemon Black. Nothin' in there. :(

Back