Republic Guild?

Last edited:
I didn't mean for that to sound negative. If you are stoked to be leading by all means go for it! There is no one in the Gal Rep side for ToJ. If you are just looking to play a Republic toon with good Christians, I highly recommend the LoJ guild. They have joined us for Warhammer and Rift and they really made both guilds successful.

Well, there was someone who volunteered to lead the Republic guild a while ago, but he hasn't done much with it since. So there may or may not already be someone planning on doing it.

Actually, he's done that twice. I've been here this whole time and I'm a moderator on these forums so I can see where those topics used to be.:)

Last edited:
I'm gonna apply for LoJ then. Seems pretty solid. The other seems cool, but there's just something about their beliefs on the KJV that really irks me.... LoJ here I come!

Holy cow, SOTOR's constitution is long. I just took a quick glance at their site to see if I could find what you were talking about.... and quickly decided it wasn't really worth the effort, lol. Seems like they are trying to build a new country or something.

Last edited:
Like Ewok, my current plan is to play Sith with ToJ and Republic with LoJ. I'm flexible, though.

There is not an official ToJ one however. I am sure there is room for one but it will scatter the playerbase even more...
Actually, there are still plans for a Republic guild, even though I've removed the former Republic guild leader from Tribe of Judah staff for inactivity. (His last forum activity was back in April.)

There are many other Christian guilds in World of WarCraft and several have over 100 members. It is highly probable that SWTOR will have a large enough playerbase to support multiple large Christian guilds.

If anyone is interested in leading Tribe of Judah's Republic guild, please send me and Elihu, ToJ's Staff Manager, a PM expressing your interest.

He dropped a year ago. Deleted every post related to it.
I've since undeleted those threads and removed his moderator privileges (since he was removed from ToJ staff for inactivity).

While I have an interest in playing for the Republic, leadership is not in the future for me due to a crazy schedule.

Hi guys, sorry to just bump in like this.
I'm originally from the Aion Chapters... but I'm planning to play this game when it comes out!
I've been planning on a Republic guild for a little bit, and I've came up with a website of it.
I used the old clan name from when I used to play Lineage II as the guild name for SWTOR, but everything is changeable.

If you guys want...we can work on this together!

Anyways... check this out!

http://thebushido.enjin.com/

While I have already applied for CFD, I would entertain the idea of heading up a Republic guild (preferably eastern). I ran a guild in EQ when they started a diety pvp server. I'm 55 years old and have been online gaming with my family since UO (well assuming you don't count the original Diablo). I work from home providing MRI technical support. I am typically able to stay logged in the majority of the daytime, though the time is typically spent crafting and such. I typically get to quest and play late evenings. Consequently, a west coast server isn't completely out of the question.

While I have already applied for CFD, I would entertain the idea of heading up a Republic guild (preferably eastern). I ran a guild in EQ when they started a diety pvp server. I'm 55 years old and have been online gaming with my family since UO (well assuming you don't count the original Diablo). I work from home providing MRI technical support. I am typically able to stay logged in the majority of the daytime, though the time is typically spent crafting and such. I typically get to quest and play late evenings. Consequently, a west coast server isn't completely out of the question.

Pacific time servers are usually easier for people from around the country to use because it is often easier for people in the east to be up late than for people in the west to get home from work early.

As for leading a Republic guild, it doesn't look like anyone else is saying that at the moment. I could oversee one if we really need that, but I plan to focus on the Sith side of things.

I certainly appreciate the cleverness of CFD conceptually. However, is there another reason for playing the Sith? I know that one can focus on lightside points versus darkside. But, does that translate into a skill set that is ostensibly Sith but aligned with the Republic similar to EQ2 defections? In other words, can you be a Sith good guy? And, does that make you KOS with the Empire?

I certainly appreciate the cleverness of CFD conceptually. However, is there another reason for playing the Sith? I know that one can focus on lightside points versus darkside. But, does that translate into a skill set that is ostensibly Sith but aligned with the Republic similar to EQ2 defections? In other words, can you be a Sith good guy? And, does that make you KOS with the Empire?

Yes you can be a Sith good guy, I mean the perfect example of that is when Vader threw the Emperor down the shaft, he got like +1,000,000,000,000 Lightside Points for that...

So it is very possible to be a Sith "good guy" and just a side note, being a Sith doesnt necessarily constitute as being Evil, yes the leadership is a little Tyrannical, but the people that make up the Sith Empire are ordinary people just trying to make a living like all of us.

I'm fairly certain that there is no way to change your allegiance. So you can be a nice Sith, but you'd still be on the Sith side. For that reason, the Sith Empire in TOR isn't just "the evil empire," they are a faction. Since they are both part of a game and players can play on both sides, it wouldn't make sense for the developers to break the factions down to something so simple as calling one side "Good" and the other side "Evil." In Star Wars lore there were plenty of planets that intentionally chose to be part of the Galactic Empire even after the Rebellion retook Coruscant. In the time frame of The Old Republic it is the same way - some planets prefer the security of the empire to the corrupt politicians running the Republic.

As for reasons to play the on the side of the Empire, I'll probably make a thread about that at some point. What it boils down to is that I think it will be more fun to play on Empire than on Republic - much like I would rather have played Horde in WoW than Alliance. The fact that you can choose light side options is a great bonus for that.

Grim,
I have no problem with playing a Sith. I was simply curious as to what possible advantage there could be in doing so. In EQ, I played a Halfling Bruiser and defected from Freeport to Qeynos. I liked the skill set of the Bruiser.

From a purely RP perspective, I don't recall any "good" Empire folk in the SW series. The Empire was based more upon the Roman culture where such things as compassion and mercy were considered evil... not bad... not distasteful... but evil. That's why they considered the Christians barbarians.

I always thought of the Republic as well meaning if nothing more. Yea, the Jedi were stern legalistic sticks in the mud. But, they did what they did with compassion... at least that was my take. It would seem that if all classes are balanced, and considering a slight majority are expected to play on the Dark Side, playing Republic might just be a standout position... especially for a large guild.

That being said, "playing" a Sith or other Imperial is simply that... playing. Please dont take any of this as an atempt to sway one way or the other.

Good point on the west coast server. I play an Aion west coast server and my pings are always below 200ms. I'll do a test to see the difference in TOR. Milliseconds count in PvP.

Grim,
I have no problem with playing a Sith. I was simply curious as to what possible advantage there could be in doing so. In EQ, I played a Halfling Bruiser and defected from Freeport to Qeynos. I liked the skill set of the Bruiser.

As I said, the advantage to me is that I think it will be more fun. If the game is balanced correctly then there should be no gameplay advantage as far as the power of your character goes, but I think that the Sith will have cooler classes and more interesting storylines.

From a purely RP perspective, I don't recall any "good" Empire folk in the SW series. The Empire was based more upon the Roman culture where such things as compassion and mercy were considered evil... not bad... not distasteful... but evil. That's why they considered the Christians barbarians.

I always thought of the Republic as well meaning if nothing more. Yea, the Jedi were stern legalistic sticks in the mud. But, they did what they did with compassion... at least that was my take. It would seem that if all classes are balanced, and considering a slight majority are expected to play on the Dark Side, playing Republic might just be a standout position... especially for a large guild.

In the movies there were no members of the Empire that were intentionally designed to look like good guys, but that's because of the way that the Star Wars movies were designed. They were designed to be a classic separation between good and evil. The Old Republic, however, will not work the same way because your character will do a lot more interacting with every day people.

Using the example of Rome is actually a very good choice, but I'd say that painting the Roman Empire in such a bad light is an unfair generalization. There was a period where the Roman Empire turned against the Christians, but there was also a time when Rome (under Constantine) essentially declared Christianity to be the official religion of the empire. On the whole, the Roman Empire was actually an extremely successful government that Europe spent hundreds of years trying to recreate. Rome's strength was that it protected its citizens and caused a period of peace to prevail that had never been seen before in that area of the world. We STILL haven't been successful in enforcing peace as well as Rome did at its height - which is why the Roman Catholic church tried so hard to rebuild an empire like it for a while. That is why the Empire in Star Wars is actually appreciated by many of its residents - the Empire protects its citizens (so long as they don't get on the wrong side of someone powerful - but that can go wrong in the Republic, too).

That being said, "playing" a Sith or other Imperial is simply that... playing. Please dont take any of this as an atempt to sway one way or the other.

This part I completely agree with. The Old Republic is a game - it is designed to be fun. I simply think that playing on the side of the Empire interests me more than playing on the side of the Republic. Oh, and don't worry about whether or not you're trying to sway me... I tend to enjoy arguing too much for my own good sometimes. :D

Great! Perhaps we can later debate the validity of whether Rome's state sponsorship of the "church" was a good thing.

BTW, I'm married to an INTJ, so debate is as much a survival skill as it is a hobby.

Back