Tek needs work badly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prayed for you and passed your name on to someone who writes for a living in case she has some leads or pointers. She works remotely out of her home.

[gfc#6]suicidebomber;370406 said:
start your own business that matches your skillset.

I agree. There has got to be something that fills a niche that is up your alley. I have a client who, years ago, much like you was interested in writing and reporting, could not find any work. So he started a Christian paper that reported on Christian news in around the city. It wasn't a huge million dollar success but it more then adequately paid the bills. He has since sold the paper. It just might be up your alley.

Doesn't necessarily ay the bills, but volunteer work is always good. I've seen a lot of volunteer positions lead to pay, though.
/me taps forums user title

If there were a clear path from unemployment to full-time employment that stops over in volunteer work, I would, of course, consider it. But volunteer work without any evidence of the time invested leading to employment--I don't know if I could justify using my time that way.

The only exception would be getting involved and volunteering one Sunday a month (or even every Sunday) at the local church my wife and I attend.

Have you looked into some of the temp employers - with IT and a degree you would be sought after there.
I have. And I wasn't even able to land a 6-month help desk job--and that's with help desk experience for a major medical center.

Just an idea
And a good one--and one I still keep a watch on.

I agree. There has got to be something that fills a niche that is up your alley. I have a client who, years ago, much like you was interested in writing and reporting, could not find any work. So he started a Christian paper that reported on Christian news in around the city. It wasn't a huge million dollar success but it more then adequately paid the bills. He has since sold the paper. It just might be up your alley.
It could work, though the types of business ventures I'd be interested in starting (print magazines, video game development) would be hard-pressed to find investors right now.

I have given the idea some thought and may review it again, but at this time, I'm looking for something less risky.

If I think of or find a way to start a business without placing myself and my wife at great financial risk, though, I'll definitely consider it. I like the idea of not being independent on a nameless, faceless organization for financial "security."

I have given the idea some thought and may review it again, but at this time, I'm looking for something less risky.

If I think of or find a way to start a business without placing myself and my wife at great financial risk, though, I'll definitely consider it. I like the idea of not being independent on a nameless, faceless organization for financial "security."
This may sound.... well, less than nice, but I'm a "blood-sucking consultant" so sometimes, I just talk this way... but, digression aside, how exactly would starting your own business be less risky than not having employment for 18 number of months, plus an unforeseen number of months into the future?

The main risk to any self-started business is the possibility of going bankrupt due to bad business decisions.

If you start a business with just yourself (sole proprietorship) then you are the business (it's credit is yours, etc). There are things that can be done to minimize the impact upon your own personal credit (such things as LLC and s-corp, but not c-corp) but from my understanding, until you start getting a number of employees those are basically just tax hassles one doesn't really need.

IMO, you shouldn't dismiss this option just out of some undefinable fear of risk. Rather take it to the Lord and allow him to guide you as he desires.

how exactly would starting your own business be less risky than not having employment for 18 number of months, plus an unforeseen number of months into the future?
Because unemployment is zero money coming in. Starting a business requires spending money, whether from investors (who expect a return) or out of my and my wife's finances.

I have previous second-hand experience when my father started his own business. I learned from that episode to carefully "count the cost" before starting any project. He also counted the cost and had a terrific business idea, but the market wasn't ready for it and it led to some difficulties. Nothing extreme and I understand (and sympathize) with his desire not to be dependent on a company for an income stream, but I learned that having a good idea or ambition isn't necessarily enough to make a business grow. My father has a very strong work ethic, but the business never truly took off.

If the Lord led me toward that direction, then of course I would consider it. But when there's no clear leading, I side with caution and prudence and in this economy, the types of businesses I would be interested in starting would have trouble finding investors or customers.

Again, I'm not saying it's a bad idea down the line, but given all the variables (not all of which I've listed here, to be fair), I don't see starting a business as a prudent move at this time.

It doesn't have to cost a bundle of money to start a business. Many successful businesses started out of a home or garage (and many are still home-based). I have a business providing IT support to businesses and residents in my region. It provides me steady income and it cost me less than $100 to get my LLC up and running.

Maybe you could leverage your IT expertise into something similar while doing some freelance writing.

Tek, you said IT, but that is vague... what part of IT? I know a few people in St. Louis and Kansas City if you can also let me know what side of the state... I'll put some feelers out there for you.

Tek, you said IT, but that is vague... what part of IT?
More the support side. I wasn't interested in making a lifelong career of IT, so I earned my Bachelors degree in a different field rather than delve into networking or programming and drop the money on necessary training or certifications.

I know a few people in St. Louis and Kansas City if you can also let me know what side of the state
Answered in PM.

I just tuned into this thread. So I am really behind.

FTR, even though he helps me with cooking, if I came home from one of my later days (when I really don't want to take the time to cook) with a fully cooked meal ready to go.... >_> I'd be a happy girl. If I ever recovered from the shock. XD

Though it's true...more often than not it's carry-out from our favorite Chinese place. About $7 for really good kung pao chicken, and we get 3 meals out of it. I really couldn't buy all the ingredients with $7.

I'd support him no matter what, but I tend to agree that starting a new business isn't the wisest thing right now. UNLESS it was something with almost 0 start-up costs and preferably didn't take up 100% of his time unless it was really proving fruitful. While I can easily support us the way things are now, we'd kind of like something "safe" or maybe (relatively) predictable for a while. Thinking about the future. Since I'm self-employed and have an LLC, if I ever have to take off for any significant length of time, that is time where we have absolutely ZERO coming in. I don't have any employees, but I'd still have a small amount in business expenses regardless of whether or not I'm working. Not to mention rent (wish it was mortgage), utilities, food, etc.

But I totally agree...some money is better than no money. So even if it's not the most reliable income, that's still better than nothing, and it might help to have more recent resume fodder.

Of course this is just if his modeling thing doesn't work out. XD

Mordos: we live in the southwest part of the state. I think Tek might have mentioned more specifically where in other threads, but I'm not sure if he'd want me to say publicly. Shoot one of us a PM and we can tell you more. ^^ Oh, but he does more hardware/software kind of stuff. (He could probably tell you better than I could, but I happened to get here first, so I thought I'd attempt an answer to your question.) Not programming or networking, where all the jobs are. This city is overflowing with programming gigs. Edit: Nevermind, I guess we were working on answering this at the exact same time, haha.

Last edited:
Two reasons:
  1. My "minimum pay" guideline I mentioned in my first post. If I'm going to spend time working at a job instead of looking for a job that pays better, the job I take needs to at least allow me to qualify to continue living where my wife and I are living now. The baseline is far below my previous salaries, so I think it's a reasonable rule.
  2. At the risk of sounding vain, I'm overqualified. I've applied for several jobs for which I'm clearly overqualified just to get a job--any job--and can't even land those.
I'm not saying I would turn down a job if it didn't meet my "minimum pay" rule, but I would be looking to get out of that job and into a better-paying job as quickly as possible--and the company that considers me for a job at sub-standard wages would know it.

Think of it this way: If I walk into a McDonald's tomorrow, explain to them I have 5 years experience in IT and a Bachelors degree and want to work the drive-thru, they know that I'm just using them for some (though not much) quick cash. The manager that interviews me is going to be thinking of the time and money that goes into training a new employee. If I split a week after I finish training, he or she won't have a return on that investment.

Maybe Valve could hire me to don a HEV suit and pose for some promotional posters for Half-Life 2: Episode 3. I could even be the high-class alternative to booth babes at the next E3.

EDIT: For those who are new to the community and are confused right now, let me explain: I once suggested that I look like Gordon Freeman. kraniac, a Tribe of Judah member and friend, said instead that Gordon Freeman looks like me. Thus making me the natural choice for Half-Life 2 promotional materials and events.
Dude..let the EMPLOYER decide if you are overqualified. TAKE SOMETHING..ANYTHING to get money into the household if it bothers you that much. yes then use the current job to leapfrog. Loyalty to one's employer is nearly a thing of the past..you cannot except them to be loyal to you. I've made pizzas, picked up trash, right now i mow grass in lean times(which has been every spring/summer for the past 5 years!!!! You want to moan and whine about "minimum pay guidelines" and "being over qualified"?

Get your butt off the computer..go out and pound the pavement..get SOMETHING. Guess what? I barely make 10/hour and that's after 4 years of cutting grass for the same company..and i run a field crew!!!! So I like this? no. Am i overqualified? yes..byu a ton. Is it anything like i know I'm worth..not by half. I do it because I have to get SOMETHING to do to get money into the house.

BTW tek..you have a wife and you...guess what man? I have a wife, two kids, myself..a HOUSE(much more expensive than an apartment)...among other things.

Gaming nights, l4d/2 nights, worrying about anime, etc etc etc....

you have three choices:
1. stay on the computer and occasionally whine to the community about how you need a job but won't accept one that doesn't fit your mentally pre-constructed vision

2. Use the time you have now to throw yourself fully into this ministry instead of trying to "delegate" everything and hope other folks can do it for you

3. get off the computer..go do ANYTHING even if it 10 dollars an hour(or less)and use that as a stepping stone.

Last edited:
...any truths in your post are kind of lost in your tone....

Tone? It's the facts. BUT if you think it'll help let me go do a few things on the post then(after i archive the original). There i took out the welfare reference. any other adjustments water down the cold hard reality of things.

Ember I admire your wilingness to back your husband..but take a look at the situation. I used to be in Tek's boat..my wife basiclaly hit me over the head with realisty as well..that's why I ma now mowing grass. Seomtimes it drives me nuts..but ya know..it's the way things are.

As you said:
But I totally agree...some money is better than no money. So even if it's not the most reliable income, that's still better than nothing, and it might help to have more recent resume fodder.
That's the entire point. Eating out, complaining about not finding a job that fits into his own pre-constructed mental vision..etc etc etc...i gave very realistic choices he has. My suggestion is you honestly prayerfully evaluate them..and then press your husband to figure out which one is going to work. What ISN'T an option is to continue to NOT accept something that won't accept whatever "guildelines" he wants to set. money isn't going to drop into his lap based on his "guildelines":..he's going to face lots of rejections for all kinds of stupid reasons.

As i have tried to tell him in the past...it's entirely possible THIS MINISTRY is where he's supposed to be..but that always get rejected outright..usually within minutes or hours for the same "reasons" listed at the beginning of this thread. 3 choices. 1 leads to more of the same...2 lead at least to a new direction. Will it be easy? no. Will it be pleasant? probably not. Will it be better than staying put in the same rut. Absolutely.

Last edited:
I will always back my husband publicly. Not to gloss over anything or make light of a situation. But in many aspects I support his decisions, so that's my job. Do I agree with everything he says and does? No, not at all. And this situation is no different. But there's more to every situation than we will post publicly, and when there's something we disagree on, we deal with it privately. So if I appear complacent, it is probably because of how I decide what to post and what not to post. =)

Last edited:
Not accusing you of being complacent at all..there's no accusations or anything about you in my replies. Just simply advice form somebody who's been there..tried it..and seen the results.

Sometimes things can only be sugar coated so much. And given that this is written word and not spoken, tone is what you infer from it.

Quite frankly, I think the Sui's post was long overdue and very well put. Mine would have been much more direct and significantly more harsh.

You do tend to be a bit harsh in your postings, HCS. While I might agree with some of your thoughts, they get obscured in the overall tone of your post.

Dave Ramsey (http://www.daveramsey.com/) would probably give similar advice, but he would do it in a gentler manner. He's a big advocate of delivering pizzas and eating rice and beans (and beans and rice.. lol).

Cool website!

Sometimes things can only be sugar coated so much. And given that this is written word and not spoken, tone is what you infer from it.

Quite frankly, I think the Sui's post was long overdue and very well put. Mine would have been much more direct and significantly more harsh.
Seriously? Geez.

You guys infer that Tek spends all his time on the computer goofing off. I don't think that's the case. We all need some downtime and playing a game is one way of doing it. I don't see Tek online playing games during the day. Maybe you guys know Tek personally and see him frequently and perhaps know more than we do. If not, however, you are both way out of line. Tek is doing a good thing with the CGA & ToJ ministry. God has ministered to hundreds if not thousands of people through this ministry. Slamming someone asking for help, especially a brother in Christ, is inappropriate. Prayer and constructive advice would be much more helpful.

You don't have any clue about how many times this has gone on in private dude. If you don't know what you are talking about ask the parties involved before making any judgments. His whining posts are a public testament to his private dealings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back