Worst Guild Wars 2 news ever!

Selfish? Hmmm, maybe. Let's petition Ferrari to max out their cars at 80mph for those of us who want Ferrari's, but aren't comfortable with the high speeds they would normally be capable of. It's a fact that more people can enjoy the game if the developers put them out on multiple platforms, but at what expense?

I see both sides. I don't want a gimped game so that everyone can be included. On the other hand, I'm still upset I can't play Fable II because I don't have an XBOX. I do have a PS3 though and ONLY play games on that that are not available PC.

I'm fine with sarcasm.

Many PS3 users complain when the 360 gets formerly exclusives games from their system and vice versa. Porting from the PC is not like that. When a version of a game is suddenly announced for the opposing console it's very unlikely to mean that the levels will be half the size, that the textures will be muddy, that the menus will become more obtuse and unwieldy, or that the complexity that gives the game character will be streamlined away for a more accessible but blander experience.

Those kinds of things are what it means to us when here that our games are getting console version. It's not that I or (most) other PC gamers begrudge the consolites the ability to play the games in question, it's just a simple fact that PC games can reach higher than console games.

Development for the different platforms is simply not the same. Given that you just can't do as much with a console version, finding out that a developer is producing a formerly PC exclusive title for the consoles too suggests that they were never aiming as high as we thought they were. Whether the concessions come as a thriftier use of system resources, or an attempt to broaden the appeal by changing the essence of the game to make it more familiar, the result is almost never positive for us.

That's not to say that there are never successes in launching games that do justice to the PC while still having a console version. BF3 is a recent example, doing almost everything I hoped for from the PC version while still having a console counterpart. The problem there is that it takes special effort to do this well because requires extra development for PC features, see BF3's improved graphics and higher player count on PC. Most devs can't or won't put in the effort to do that.

For those reasons, finding out that GW2 is coming to consoles really is about the worst thing that could be announced about the game. I'm optimistic that it'll still do the PC proud, but I would have felt much better about it if I knew that they had given it their full attention and launched it for the PC before deciding to make a console conversion. For now we can only hope that it doesn't detract from the PC development the way it has for so many games in the past.

Lets get back on topic.

Controller keyboard like the 360 and ps3 got. Also you could just hookup a mouse and kb to them.

But i agree, i want a PC only version. No dumbed down games for me.

I don't think you will get that option. Developers make one blueprint for their games if they are to be played across differing platforms and make only minor tweaks so that their games run on the differing platforms. Skyrim is a good example of this - the menu system is unbearable without mods to alleviate the obvious accommodations the consoles demanded.

... As for the "console vs. PC" debate: All platforms have their own advantages and disadvantages, their own strengths and weaknesses. Most of us enjoy games on multiple platforms. For example: I enjoy games on the Wii, PS3, PC, and DS. Let's put generalizations like, "Console gaming is better than PC gaming" or "PC gaming is better than console gaming" to rest.

No. :mad:

I can't believe you just said that. All PC gamers know that FPS gameplay is far superior when played on a PC, as are simulation games, puzzle games, RPGs, and especially MMOs. Certain games are equivalently fun to play on a console - games like Mortal Kombat and racing games. I think gameplay on a PC is mostly superior to consoles because the controls are better. Using your entire hand with all of its muscles to aim a gun is vastly better than using just your thumb with its limited control (ever noticed how FPS on consoles have auto-target turned on? This is why!). Good controls absolutely matter in MMOs as well as FPS games and other games that demand that you have control of your character.

Consoles do have their advantages though. They are cheaper and can be easier on your hands/joints. However these aren't gameplay related benefits and therefore are not pertinent within this discussion.

Surely they have thought of this, but how are people going to communicate on the console version? It is not that far of a leap to imagine an MMO with no typed communication, but it still a difficult one. No private chatting like /tell? No party only chat? What about commands like choosing one out of many emotes? Not to mention the fact that some people abhor speaking through voice programs (our current OPS leader in my SWTOR guild will not talk... fortunately she types really fast and accurately).

In the end this is all about money and there is no doubt in my mind that the gameplay of the console version, should they decide to do it, will fall short in comparison to the PC version.

Last edited:
dualshock9484.jpg

So... where are they going to put
10 skills
Profession specific abilities (up to 4 skills)
Weapon swap
Dodge
Interaction (E)
Jump
Sheathe

Will be interesting to see how they do it

Ever play the old Smackdown vs Raw?

They had a TON of "moves" you could preforms. Up+X Down+X Left+X Right+X ect ect. You could fit plenty of skills on there if you so chose. With that said, I just got a new PC and my tv sucks so Im def. playing on PC still...

:p

Ever play the old Smackdown vs Raw?

They had a TON of "moves" you could preforms. Up+X Down+X Left+X Right+X ect ect. You could fit plenty of skills on there if you so chose.

That one combination of all of those buttons just doesn't seem as good for gaming as pressing number 4.

Whether it comes to game consoles or not, I'm sticking with the pc version. There are several Xbox games I'm interesting in buying this year but GW 2 won't be one of them.

As for the "console vs. PC" debate: All platforms have their own advantages and disadvantages, their own strengths and weaknesses. Most of us enjoy games on multiple platforms. For example: I enjoy games on the Wii, PS3, PC, and DS. Let's put generalizations like, "Console gaming is better than PC gaming" or "PC gaming is better than console gaming" to rest.

No. :mad:

I can't believe you just said that.
I'll re-phrase my earlier statement:

Let's put generalizations like, "Console gaming is better than PC gaming in every way across all genres" or "PC gaming is better than console gaming in every way across all genres" to rest.

Again, all platforms have their own advantages and disadvantages, their own strengths and weaknesses.

That one combination of all of those buttons just doesn't seem as good for gaming as pressing number 4.

The motion is pretty fluid actually. Honestly I'm a bigger fan of the controller anyway. It was specifically designed for games where as the keyboard and mouse were not. Unless you have a Naga mouse (which I do.) the number keys are little out of the way.

With all of that said they could just come out with a controller specific for the console version like other games have, although I don't think its necessary.

Last edited:
I didn't mean to come across so... bluntly, but certain games are better suited to gameplay on the pc. I don't think NCsoft will just throw an MMO at a console and expect it to work, but I also believe some limitations cannot be overcome without first investing a good enough amount of money first to make it play as well as it would on a pc and while a ton of people play consoles, I'm not sure I'd sacrifice gameplay quality to play on a console.

Since the days of PSO, I have been waiting for another GOOD MMO to hit consoles. So this news gave me hope. For so long I have waited, and I hope my wait is almost over.

Back