Your favorite Worship song.

Played at all of Paul's deceased relative's funerals, pretty much, at my former coworker's (grandfather-aged), and at several of my relatives. The last verse, "When we've been there ten thousand years, bright, shining as the sun, we've no less days to sing God's praise than when we've first begun," really moves me. Such a truly beautiful piece of musical art.

Okay, here's the history of "It is Well," by Horation Spafford.

This beloved gospel hymn text's author, Horatio Gates Spafford, had known peaceful and happy days as a successful young attorney in Chicago, Illinois. He was the father of four lovely daughters, a deeply spiritual and devoted student of the Scriptures, and a loyal supporter and friend of D. L. Moody and many of the other evangelical leaders of his day. Then he experienced a series of calamities, beginning with the Great Chicago Fire of 1871, which wiped out much of the family's real estate investments.

Two years later, when Moody and Ira Sankey left for Great Britain to conduct an evangelistic crusade, Spafford decided to lift the spirits of his family by taking them on a vacation to Europe. He also planned to assist with the Moody-Sankey meetings. Interestingly, it is reported that shortly before leaving, the family attended a service in Chicago where Moody was preaching. At that meeting all four Spafford girls made personal professions of Christ as Savior.

In November of 1873, at the time of the family's scheduled departure, Horatio was detained unexpectedly by some urgent business matters, but he sent his wife and four daughters as planned on the S.S. Ville du Havre, promising to join them shortly in Europe. Halfway across the Atlantic Ocean, the ship was struck by an English vessel and sank in twelve minutes. All four of the Spafford daughters--Tanetta, Maggie, Annie, and Bessie--were among the 226 passengers who drowned. Mrs. Spafford was one of the few who were miraculously rescued. As Horatio was busily packing, there was a knock at the door, and he was handed a cable which read simply: "Saved alone. Your wife."

Horatio Spafford spent hour after hour on the deck of the ship carrying him to rejoin his sorrowing wife in Cardiff, Wales. It is said that when the ship passed the approximate area where his precious daughters had drowned, Spafford received sustaining comfort from God that enabled him to respond, "When sorrows like sea billows roll--whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say, it is well with my soul."

http://www.backtothebible.org/devotions/devotion.php/hymns/124

Funny thing is, the gr.-grandma who died a few years back thought that when she got an attatchment in an email she was supposed to stick a paper clip in one of the slots... Gotta love her.

Family Life Today just completed a series on some of the traditional / patriotic songs. It was amazing to listen to.

Gen

I have to say just about everything by Matt Redman, Tim Hughes, and David Crowder.

My absolute favorite (whether it qualifies as a worship song or not) is Jars of Clay's "Worlds Apart"

I am the only one to blame for this
Somehow it all ends up the same
Soaring on the wings of selfish pride
I flew too high and like Icarus I collide
With a world I try so hard to leave behind
To rid myself of all but love
To give and die

To turn away and not become
Another nail to pierce the skin of one who loved
More deeply than the oceans,
More abundant than the tears
Of a world embracing every heartache

Can I be the one to sacrifice?
Oh, grip the spear and watch the blood and the water flow

(To love You)
Take my world apart
(To need You)
I am on my knees
(To love You)
Take my world apart
(To need You)
Broken on my knees

All said and done I stand alone
Amongst remains of a life I should not own
It takes all I am to believe
In the mercy that covers me

Did you really have to die for me?
All I am for all you are
'Cause what I need and what I believe are worlds apart

And I pray
(To love You)
Take my world apart
(To need You)
I am on my knees
(To love You)
Take my world apart
(To need You)
Broken on my knees
On my knees
(Bridge)

I look beyond the empty cross
Forgetting what my life has cost
And wipe away the crimson stains
And dull the nail that still remains
More and more I need you now,
I owe you more each passing hour
Battle between grace and pride
I gave up not so long ago
So steal my heart and take the pain,
And wash my feet and cleanse my pride
Take the selfish, take the weak,
And all the things I cannot hide
Take the beauty, take my tears
My sin-soaked heart - make it yours
Take my world all apart,
Take it now, take it now
And serve the ones that I despise
Speak the words I can't deny
Watch the world I used to love
Fall to dust and blow away
I look beyond the empty cross
Forgetting what my life has cost
And wipe away the crimson stains
And dull the nail that still remains
Steal my heart and take the pain
Take the selfish, take the weak
And all the things I cannot hide
Take the beauty, take my tears
Take my world apart
Take my world apart
And I pray, and I pray, and I pray
Take my world apart
Worlds apart

actually, i haven't made it that far. It was only in the last year or so that i stopped listening to the radio, and went head on into the Christian music scene. We don't have a Christian radio station out here that plays any of the upbeat stuff, and they mostly just talk. So.....It's down to spending hours in Christian book store listing to CDs........but I'll make a note to check Tomlin out next time I go.

CHRIS!!! i love that guys (not personally :p) he's a great musician. i have other favorites but that would require me getting my iPod.

Tonight we did "Hallelujah (Your Love is Amazing)." I love this song, and I really love singing it!

Your love is amazing, steady and unchanging,
Your love is a mountain, firm beneath my feet,
Your love is a mystery, how You gently lift me,
When I am surrounded, Your love carries me.

Hallelujah, hallelujah,
Hallelujah, Your love makes me sing,
Hallelujah, hallelujah,
Hallelujah, Your love makes me sing.

Your love is surprising, I can feel it rising,
All the joy that's growing deep inside of me,
Every time I see You, all Your goodness shines through,
And I can feel this God song, rising up in me.

Hallelujah, hallelujah,
Hallelujah, Your love makes me sing,
Hallelujah, hallelujah,
Hallelujah, Your love makes me sing.
By Brenton Brown; it's on Wow Worship Green.

i would have to say some of my favoriets are In The Light by DC talk, Wherever We Go by the Newsboys, Where You Belong/Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus by the News Boys, Yes I believe by point of Grace, and Lead my on by Amy Grant. And a few other 100 but those are some of the best :)

i got a few songs by Matt Redman on Itunes, i like him. of course who doesnt like people with British accents?

I'd have to think about worship songs in general, but BY FAR my favorite hymn (which most likely takes place over contemporary worship songs) is "How Great Thou Art." We sang that song at a concert last semester during homecoming, and my lord, if that wasn't the most spirit-filled worship I've ever experienced. Beautiful song.

-Chadley

Carrie Underwood...Jesus take the wheel

My favorite song at the moment is this one---

She was drivin' last friday on her way to cincinnati
On a snow white Christmas Eve
Goin' home to see her Momma and her Daddy
With her baby in a back seat
Fifty miles to go and she was runnin' low
On faith and gasoline
It'd been a long hard year

She had a lot on her mind and she didn't pay attention
She was goin' way too fast
Before she knew it she was spinnin on thin black sheet of glass
She saw both their lives flash before her eyes
She didn't even have time to cry
She was so scared, she threw her hands up in the air

(Chorus)
Jesus take the wheel
Take it from my hands
'Cause I can't do this on my own
I'm letting go
Give me one more chance
Save me from this road I'm on
Jesus take the wheel

It was still getting colder when she made it to the shoulder and that car came to a stop
She cried when she saw that baby in the back seat sleepin' like a rock
For the first time in a long time she bowed her head to pray
She said I'm sorry for the way
I've been livin' my life
I know I've got to change
So from now on tonight
(Repeat chorus)

I love that song Too! Jesus Take the Wheel is very good but the rest of her Album is umm not so good :(.

I love Oceans from the Rain by Seventh Day Slumber right now.

We don't have a Christian radio station out here that plays any of the upbeat stuff, and they mostly just talk. So.....It's down to spending hours in Christian book store listing to CDs
You could try listening online. The quality's not as good but it beets nothing.
Here is a link to one of my Local stations just in case :) http://knwc.nwc.edu/page.php
The link to listen is close to the top (choose FM)

Back