Yeshua VS. Jesus

mrpopdrinker

One thing that bothers me about churches and even bibles is that we still call Yeshua Jesus and YHVH Jahova. If it where up to me I would stop saying Jesus in the sermons and bibles and say his true name. I guess this is kind of a strange topic but I have been curious what other people thought about it.

Is Jesus not the Word of God incarnate? Is his reality different whether you call Him Yeshua or Jesus? They both mean the same name. As for YHWH and Jehovah, do they not both imply the total GODness of our God?

So I guess what I'm saying is, what does it matter in the first place? Is he still not GOD?

He is still God but I think he would like to be addressed by his real name. Names do not change from language to language they stay the same. Jesus correct me if I am wrong but that name has no meening, Yeshua however meens salvation or somthing of the sort. Jehova was pieced together a while back and is a false name as far as I am concerned. Although the original way of pronouncing it has been lost Jehova was just pieced together I will find the thing on it later. So really for those who do know better I personally think calling Yeshua Jesus would be wrong.

no i do not need to replace it because that was the name given to him and the name he gave to his discples

It doesn't matter what name we call God as long as its one that uplifts him, the Israelites had many names for God such as Yaweah, Adonai, El Shaddia, El Elyon, Elohim, Jehovah Sabaoth, and more. All talked about the power, the Sovereignty, or Greatness of God.

It's not the name that matters but the heart behind it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LionOfJudah @ Sep. 19 2003,1:20)]no i do not need to replace it because that was the name given to him and the name he gave to his discples
Lion the name given to him was Yeshua, if you went back in time and was asking for Jesus people wuld have said who? Major Jehova is not a name of God it was constructed and the other names have a meening Adonai for example meens Lord.

yes, i know they have meanings, i said they have meanings.  The point is Jesus and Yeshua mean the same thing, its not the word that counts its the meaning and the heart behind it.  For example in Spanish it's Christo or something like that instead of Christ, does that mean they are sinning every time they worship?

HEY HEY HERES A WAKE UP CALL, ALMOST ALL NAMES FOR GOD ARE CONSTRUCTED, including..... GOD.  God's name for himself was I AM.  I believe (by this I mean I think) all other names for God the Father were constructed.

Christ is a title not his last name. Yeshua was the name gives to him and names as I have said do not change from language to language.

YWVH is not actually the name he gave, Yaweah.  This name was so sacred most Israelites didn't use it.  Did God punish him for not using that name.........obviously not.  Nowhere in the Bible does it say "And the Lord send the Amorites to conquer Israel because they called him Adonai."

Throught the entire Bible they call him Adonia, or LORD.  A lot of prophets and Apostles called him this, do you think these men would know if it was a mistake to say that or not? I do, and I think it doesn't matter.

I was talking about the begining of my post, did you not read that.

In Revaltions 1:8 God uses different names for himself

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]"I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty."

This is saying He is the begining and the end, but see how alpha, omega, and almighty are capitalized.  They shouldn't be unless they are proper nouns, such as names maybe?  Here God calls himself these names.

ok, let's say we take your advice. and from this day forward, we use Yeshua rather than Jesus.

What would be the response? 95% of the people would look at you and say 'Who?'

It would be a HAMPER on spreading the Word of God. Also who ever said that names do not get changed with language shifts? Numerous immigrants in the late 19th early 20th century to America changed their names as they were coming from their native speaking language to english. Names are often changed especially when we"re going from a near or far east language to a germanic or romantic langauge.

onto Jehovah
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]In the book "What You Know Might Not Be So (220
Misinterpretations of Bible Texts Explained)"
(Baker Book House), David C. Downing writes:

"Jehovah - This rendering of the divine name originated
by mistake in the sixteenth century and does not represent
any form of the Hebrew name for God.
Ancient Hebrew writing included only the consonants
of words so that the personal name for God, "Yahweh," was
written as "YHWH." (This is called the Tetragrammaton, a
Greek word meaning "four letters.") In the early Middle Ages,
when Jewish scholars added vowels to the sacred texts, they
did not add the vowels to YHWH, because they believed that the
name was too sacred to be read aloud. Instead they added dots
representing the vowels for Adonai, another name for God
usually translated Lord.
Jewish cantors understood that the word Adonai should be
substituted whenever YHWH appeared, but later uninitiated
readers combined the consonants of Yahweh with the vowels
for Adonai. This created the hybrid word Jehovah, a name for
God frequently heard today but one which never existed in
biblical times."

So it's actually a mixture of two of God's name. and likewise Yahweh, is not the proper name either (YHWH) and Jehovah would be YHWH as well, since that was the base for the creation of the word. Yet does that in the end truly matter? When I say Jehovah, do we not translate as 'God' or 'YHWH'? If I say Jehovah, do you not know of whom I speak? Likewise if I say Jesus, do you not know of whom I speak? These little things, are pettiness at it's worst. God seeks those of us, who worship Him in Spirt and in Truth. Rather or not, we should use the Hebrew YHWH or Jehovah, is of little matter, for it just takes away from our worship of Jehovah.

And all God's people said <span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>AMEN!</span>

Im in forums right now anyway so its not taking away from my worship. Major stop editing your posts and adding things so that you can accuse me of not reading them. Lord is a correct title as where Jesus is not. As far as who yes I have thought about it Kidan and I guess that is reason enough not to change the way we do things.

Then why not call him "Son of Man", since that's what he referred to himself by?

I may not be a Christian, but I doubt it really matters what you call him.

Jesus was referred to as both "Son of Man" and "Son of God". It depends on which Gospel you read. The point being one stresses his earthly nature and the other points out his Divine nature.

As far as this topic goes, I suppose I admire you for what you are saying, but it is really so small a matter.

Back