Yeshua VS. Jesus

I believe it is importent to remember the hebraic roots of christianity. Where did BigJ say the name is not Yeshua? The name had to be transliterated into greek writing. Here is a post from another board I go to that should explain some things.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]As far as getting Yeshua from Iesous, I believe you have it backwards.

What we can do is look at the Septuagint (the Greek Translation of the OT.) Now we know the OT text is older and that the Septuagint translates the Hebrew word for Joshua as Iesous. This is because certain sounds and letter don't exist in Greek and the "ah" ending indicated a female in Greek. The ending was changes to "ous" to reflect the male nature of the name.

So by understand the original Hebrew and transliteration systems, we can clearly see where Yeshua is the correct version of the Greek Iesous.

Hope that helps.

SHALOM

The Jews never said Gods name. Because to mispronounce it was to take his name in vain. When we say somebody is trying to figure something out in vain, we mean that they are failing to do it correctly.

And what of his new name? Revelation 3:12 Jesus says that he will have a new name. Wonder what that will be?

How about Immanuel? Which means God with us.

When it comes to names it is important. His name isn't Bob or George. Don't use them, Bob is not your saviour. On the other hand, whether you use Yoshua, Jesus or Immanuel it matters not because those names describe who our Lord is. They are appropriate titles given to our saviour.

my friend is named david... he likes to tell people. his name is steve.. he got my youth pastor all confused.. everyone in my school.. knows him as david.. all my friends outside of school.. knows him as steve.. i refer to him as different names... in different places... but he is still the same person... he does the same things.. and when i talk about him in school... we know he is david... now.. we are in america... we know the name 'jesus' as God's son.. who was the ultimate sacrifice... and died on the cross to forgive our sins.. and he rose on the third day... now... if i go to another country.. that knows him as a different name.. thats what i will call him.. while im there... we are still talkin about the same person... we just know him as different names

What happens if I decide to call him (Jesus) Bob. Okay, on these boards, his name shall be Bob. Besides, Jesus is so "politically incorrect" because Budhists do not believe that God Saves. So, lets be politcally correct and call him Bob. Bob won't be bothered by this because what we call him makes do difference. So long as we are thinking about the same person or God.
[/sarcsam off]

I agree with the dancing canook. (
laugh.gif
) His name is one of power bob is not. I believe Jesus has just as much power as Yeshua but lacks meening. Now bob on the other hand does not. I have never seen a demon cast out in the name of Bob. But let me tell you somthing when you mention the name of Jesus or Yeshua you can exorcise every demon in the world.

but we arent thinking aobut the same person.. if i called him bob as well.. then when jsut we are talkin.. we can call him bob.. but since the majority know him as jesus.. why call him bob and cause confusion?

If Mrpopdrinker and I decided that between the two of us to name pyro4GodR6:13 George, then go out and start doing things in the name of George.  Then go to you and say "look at all the good stuff we did for you george."  You would turn to us and say, who is George.  You didn't do this for me, you did it for George.

Only one name has been given power and authority.  And it is not Bob.  Even if two of decide collectively to call Jesus Bob, it won't cut it.  Go an exorcise a Demon in the name of Bob and it will look at you kind of funny and ask you  who Bob is.

I know what you are trying to say, I don't think it is right. Jesus doesn't have just any name.

lol i would agree pop drinker. for me i have a poster that lists all the names of God, and since Jesus was God on earth, wouldt all these names work??

All the names as far as what? You couldent cast out in a demon in the name of emmanuel but you could in the name of Jesus. It is the name and not the titles that are powerfull. Now i know Yeshua is a title but it was also his name. It meens Yah saves, look at the word saves.His blood can save you from demon possesion, sin, sickness etc. So i cant say all the names would work. But if you ever run into somone who is demon possessed try one of the other names first and lets find out.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mrpopdrinker @ Oct. 07 2003,1:34)]All the names as far as what? You couldent cast out in a demon in the name of emmanuel but you could in the name of Jesus. It is the name and not the titles that are powerfull. Now i know Yeshua is a title but it was also his name. It meens Yah saves, look at the word saves.His blood can save you from demon possesion, sin, sickness etc. So i cant say all the names would work. But if you ever run into somone who is demon possessed try one of the other names first and lets find out.
Then why not call him Jesus, if you can cast out demons in his name? And why can't you cast out demons in the name of Emmanuel? How about the Lion of Judah? You should know, pop, that names mean very little (to quote Shakespeare, a rose by any other name would smell as sweet) to petty humans, and I'm sure mean even less to God. After all, he seemed almost reluctant to tell his name to Moses, calling himself simply "I Am". Why don't you call him "I Am" (or You are)

I am is where we get YHVH. Emmanuel is a title not his name. I dont call him Jesus because as I have said I prefer to use the original names. I also dont call him that because I like to remind myself where christianity started. I also dont call him Jesus because yeshua links him to YHVH. Actually when dealing with the "realm of the Spirit" (for lack of a better term) I believe names meen quite a bit. Next time I cast out a demon I will try Immanuel first. But if they doesent work then it is back to Yeshua.

Back