Yeshua VS. Jesus

You know if you really wanna get into it, check out what Moses found out when he asked God His name.

((KJV))
And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them? And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

((NLT))
But Moses protested, "If I go to the people of Israel and tell them, 'The God of your ancestors has sent me to you,' they won't believe me. They will ask, 'Which god are you talking about? What is his name?' Then what should I tell them?" God replied, "I AM THE ONE WHO ALWAYS IS. Just tell them, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"

So really, God says His name is "I Am". If you break that down from the Hebrew, it can even be translated "To Be" or just "Be".

See, maybe Eubonics had it right. "Yo Be, whattup!"

I'm not being sacreligious with that, I do think God has a sense of humor
biggrin.gif

just more fuel for the fire here
smile.gif

What is the NLT Bible I am curious. I knew what you ment about the Bible translations but I wanted to clear that up for others. In Hebrew it is YHVH which meens to be if I remember correctly. Which makes perfect sense because of the titles God gives himself. YHVH Jirah= the God who is your provider, YHVH saves=Yeshua and so forth.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mrpopdrinker @ Sep. 19 2003,12:54)]Lion the name given to him was Yeshua, if you went back in time and was asking for Jesus people wuld have said who? Major Jehova is not a name of God it was constructed and the other names have a meening Adonai for example meens Lord.
Something hit me.

If you went back in time to, say, AD 32, and said, "Hey there...I'm looking for Yeshua." Everybody would probably just stare at you blankly, since no one spoke modern English back then.

Just about everything translates. Names included. I mean, by your reckoning, we should talk about Moisha and the ten commandments...Yeshua who took over after Moisha died...I mean, how far do you want to take it?

I use the original Hebrew names so long as I know them. I call Abraham Avraham Jesus Yeshua as well as other various things. That is what I do and I have my own reasons for doing them. If you dont want to then fine no one is going to hell over it. I dont choose what everyone beleives so how far a I take it is irrelevant.

i grew up using the NIV, but I have recently started using the King James more often. If you look at them for facts, they are the same, but if you look at it theologically, there really is a HUGE difference.

And by the way, the mormons have a Bible, buts its not The Bible. There was this guy Joseph Smith or something like that, who wrote what he thinks the Bible means, and they follow that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And by the way, the mormons have a Bible, buts its not The Bible. There was this guy Joseph Smith or something like that, who wrote what he thinks the Bible means, and they follow that.
Yup that about it too. I never cared for the KJV myself soon I am going to get a CHB translation.

NLT = New Living Translation

Worth a peruse, I assure you
smile.gif

I do most of my study with KJV/NLT side by side... best of both worlds
biggrin.gif

the ESV (English Standard Version) is currently the most accurate, literal translation on the market

i've seen a lot of the living translations and new living translation. I guess it's a newer translation than most, but it is really good. It kinda makes the Bible more like a story. It flows better I guess and seems to be good.

kidan I never was either. but give it a shot.

what I've been doing is when studying a particuliar passage, reading several of the translations to get more of a complete feel for the passage... sometimes just using a different word really makes a passage that I have read for years and years in KJV really come alive.

If there are ever 'contradictions' or things that don't seem to click, well thats what my strongs/vines combo is for
smile.gif

All in all, i think it just makes my personal study time alot more colorful and complete.

well for my personal time, I use whichever Bible I grab off the shelf first, and when I'm doing actual study for class prep, then I use E-Sword, which doesn't allow for the Living Translations, because they won't give permission for their translation to be used in the free software

Jesus.

Why? It's easier to say.

Or Ye Su if I'm speaking Chinese. Cuz that's what Chinese people call him.

Hasn't Jesus any meaning? All most people are told about in church is Jesus, Jesus, Jesus. Not Yeshua. They are told to pray to Jesus for forgiveness. Taught that Jesus died for their sins. Most have no idea what Yeshua means. So, if somebody cries out to Jesus for forgiveness, will they not be saved?

I would have to say yes. Although people have lost the true name they are reffering to the same person. So I believe YHVH does hear their prayers. Oh and Jesus has no meening where Yeshua reminds us the he is Hebrew and it also meens I cant remember if it is YHVH saves or Yah saves.

But as BigJ already pointed out, Yeshua isn't actually the real name...its a translation......and why is it imporant that Jesus was Hebrew? His nationality is of little importance..i mean, i suppose for "fulfilling prophecies", but otherwise, does it really effect anything?

Back