FOOD!!!!!!!!

"Swiss", said the Christian. "Because it's holy."

Actually, pepper-jack or mozzarella. Depends if I'm in the mood for heat or sweet.

I make them at home, they are my "hurry up and throw together a breakfast" routine, using pre cooked patties that can be nuked.
Sausage and cheese English muffin.

Muenster is great on sandwiches. Provalone if it's not available. Smoked Gouda on crackers. Baked Brie with a flakey crust, and sometimes a tart fruit compote like lingonberry for a very special treat.

Extra sharp cheddar for day to day use.

When I went back home with the kids, I relished in being able to eat the processed, canned Chef Boyardee ravioli. It was so tasty.

Made from scratch is delicious too, can't say that we have that often.

Raspberries are my favorite, but I like all of those berries and they are great in their season. We have an abundance of strawberry plants in the garden, and there's nothing quite like eating them fresh picked. We also live in an area that produces blueberries, so there's a time in summer where they are everywhere, and people eat them by the handful at picnics and cook-outs.

For picking, I'd definitely pick blueberries. The bushes are the perfect size so you don't have to bend over, like strawberries, and there are no thorns to navigate.

The area I live in does not, however, have a lot of blackberries. I used to live in the Pacific Northwest, long ago, and blackberries there are roadside weeds. People are constantly fighting down blackberry brambles threatening to take over fences. You can get all the free, beautiful, big blackberries you want at the height of the season.

New Mexican restaurant today, time to look for new/old items and see how they are. What do you look for first time? Burritos? Chili Colorado? Chili Rellenos? Tacos? Something veggie? Special La Casa?

I always look for Chile Rellenos, first. They're a favorite of mine, though you get quite wide spread of quality from restaurant to restaurant.

I've got a big bag of poblanos at home right now, waiting for this weekend. Usually we do a big Relleno meal with friends every summer using peppers from our garden, but this is the first year in a long time that we had to buy them. I think the combination of the cool summer and a more frantic than usual work (the garden was somewhat neglected this year) did in our pepper crop. Usually we have too many too use just ourselves from only a plant or two.

At a new mexican restaurant, I also look for the the Chile Verde. Unlike Rellenos, it's pretty hard to mess up.

Rubio's puts together a corn taco plate with rice, beans, corn and roasted veggies. It's not on the menu but they try to accommodate my vegan tastes.

When they took their portabella tacos off their menu I complained on one of the survey forms. The manager actually called me to see what they can do. They sure have my business.

That's pretty awesome. Most of the time it seems like those kinds of comment cards go into a black hole somewhere, never to be seen again.

I like the smaller Mom and Pop restaurants where you can speak to the owner/manager directly about the items on the menu. We had a real nice local restaurant once that the owner would try once anything you could bring a recipe for and they had the ingredients, within reason that is. Best biscuits and gravy within a 200 mile radius too.

Ok we will talk about something garden fresh, I have an abundance of these right now, I am chowing down on a lot of sliced turkey sandwiches with these piled on.
home grown tomatoes

And I am not talking about the plastic tomatoes shipped in from who knows where, shot with a gas to make them turn red. Real homegrown, minutes how the vine.

the absolute best - with the thinnest slice of onion you can cut - I like my bread toasted, please

We eat them like apples during the summer. Pick 'em off the vine, brush 'em off, and bite right in.

Our garden was pretty poor this year, but the tomatoes were the exception. We're constantly bringing in new ones. We love Sungolds, and have just recently found "Nebraska Wedding" which is very tasty. We tend to grow varieties known for taste, and occasionally unusual colors for the fun of it. We also always plant one or two early fruiting like "Fourth of July" or "Early Girl" sow we can get fresh tomato goodness as soon as possible.

BLTs are also a summer tradition. We get thick-cut smoked bacon from the local farmer's market and slow-risen bread from a nearby bakery. Nothing like that combination of bacon and tart, fresh off the vine, tomato.

Enok this is the first year ever our tomatoes have done this well, mostly Better Boys. The only pest control we use is food grade diatamacious earth. Now for today's. Yes there are high in sodium, and my broken tooth needs care when crunching these, but my sodium is low and Dr say's make sure I get enough salt in diet. And they work real well in helping get pills down, just grab a couple of small ones and follow it up with more water.

Pretzels

Back