FOOD!!!!!!!!

I know a lot of people who seem to really like Fazoli's. I tend to feel like I could open a can of sauce and boil some noodles with as much trouble as going to a Fazolis, and at less expense. I kinda feel the same way about one of our local taco places.

If I'm going to pay to eat out, I want the food to seem like it's not something I could just as easily throw together at home.

Our Salvation Army Corps is having a picnic up on our hill soon, Appalachian poor area, I am providing hotdogs, maybe brats, and sauce, what do you think they will bring? Or what would you bring?

Ok picnic is day after tomorrow. Should I include another hotdog bun worthy item to go with the hotdogs, and if so what? We have no vegans in the group so Tofu or veggie dogs are out. And I am a little short on money. Brats are nice, but take forever to cook right and take up bunches of space. Maybe a cheap Polish sausage?

Picnic went well, even though our Corps doesn't always understand concept of potluck. We just used chicken lips hotdogs, actually chicken, pork, and beef. Two really good pasta salads were brought, slaw, cheese puffs, pretzels, lot's of purchased desserts. But Mom brought the best desserts;

3 Punkin pies, and a lemon cream thingy pie.

We provided the whipped topping for them.
So a vegan would be able to get full.

What is the best tasting, easiest, least expensive vegan item to ease into a more healthy diet?

I love hummus. It's expensive if you buy it premade, but you can make it at home in a blender for a fraction of the price. Chick peas, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, and a little bit of tahini. Get the olive oil in the large containers, and it will be inepensive over time. You only use a little tahini, so the price per recipe is also low.

It's amazingly creamy for something that is vegan and good for you. Dip whole grain pitas into it, or for an even healthier option, cut up your favorite fresh vegetables. Red bell peppers are my favorite.

My brother brought hummus to a cook out today, 2 different types. It looked so yucky I couldn't stand to try it. In my defense I did try, and enjoy, a
veggie burger.

Hummus ranges from strong like to strong dislike for me depending on the variation/ingredients.

Veggie burgers can be tasty. I'd like to throw one on top of my cheeseburger patty and enjoy the pair in tasty harmony. :D

Yeah, there is some hummus I like and others I don't. Depends on what they mix in it. I like it for the most part. It took me a while to try it. Same with veggie burgers.

It makes me wonder what kind of hummus you all have been exposed to. It's hard for me to imagine it looking yucky, but then I eat a lot of variety, so I'm used to a lot of different things.

Don't make me post another picture of corn smut. :D

Tried one of these today. One bite and I am still tasting the awfulness, never again will I try a
Veggie Dog.

Back