FOOD!!!!!!!!

Yes, vegetarian hotdogs are terrible. I like veggie burgers, most of which don't even try to pretend to be like meat. I also don't mind vegetarian ground "meat" once it's mixed with taco seasoning. But I don't even see the point in messing with veggie hotdogs.

I do fish tacos at my house to use up leftover fish. We tend to cook fish once a week, usually a cheap white fish of some sort which I pan fry in a little butter after dredging in milk and then whole wheat flour. After my wife and I each eat a filet, and the kids eat half a filet, I end up with one left over which goes into the fridge. The next day at lunch I usually warm it back up in a skillet and then toss it into a couple of warm corn tortillas with a lettuce, tomato, green salsa, and just a hint of ranch dressing.

We also regularly eat soft tacos. Leftover taco meat goes into spaghetti sauce the next night for "spicy spaghetti".

Heh. For several years I used to have what my wife and I called "slug days" after a big push at work. I'd get a show up (I design for theatre), and would take a long weekend. My wife would go to work on that Monday, and I'd stay home playing video games all day as a way of relaxing after all the work. This usually involved eating through a stash of frozen food I'd picked up in anticipation. A box of chicken taquitos was often part of the stash. Pretty much the only time I encountered taquitos.

Mind if I throw out a topic, Ursen?

Freeze Dried (astronaut) Ice Cream

My son was into space everything for a while. He was all about astronauts, rocketships, and planets. We got two bags of freeze dried (astronaut) icecream for him for his birthday. All the adults tried it once. The kids ate it for a while, but you could tell that their actual experience slowly replaced their excitement for the idea of it. We still have a bag sitting on top of the fridge two years later. Does anyone actually like this stuff? I'm not even sure why astronauts bother eating it, as I'd get more enjoyment out of freeze dried berries.

The astronauts don't even eat that stuff anymore. They discovered they could take the real thing and drag it along behind the spacecraft in the cooler with the beer. Things stay real cold in space.

Had to google that one. Does not look appealing. I have experimented with freeze dried food before, usually find it too expensive for regular use. Also although some works well for camping, some is just plain nasty, dog food would work better. Ice Cream? Not too exciting really. I can't rationally included it in a years emergency food supply.

It's remarkably like ice cream once your saliva reconstitutes it.... remarkably like warm, melted ice cream, of course.

It seems to be a theme for birthday parties to discover things that kids won't even eat. At my son's recent birthday party (he turned 7), he wanted banana splits. He picked out pink lemonade flavored magic shell to put on the ice cream. The adults didn't even bother trying it, the kids did, but had no desire to have more of it.

White bean? Or brown beans? Onions? On the side or in it? Corn bread or corn cakes?

I'm guessing we're talking chili? Which, coincidentally, my wife is making for dinner.

We usually use red beans, onions in it with green peppers. She likes to make cornbread, but I can take or leave it. Not just hers, any corn bread. I'd rather corn chips or tortillas on the side.

My favorite chili, though, is white chili made with leftovers from Thanksgiving. It warms me down deep in the middle of a Michigan winter.

Pinto bean or Navy or Great Norther bean soup with cornbread. Great Southern and Appalachian food. Some love raw onions on top of it for a little extra kick.

Ah, gotcha. I'll throw in another, Black Beans. I really like the Black Bean soup made by Panera Bread, and it has the advantage of being one of the leanest things on the menu. It definitely doesn't taste low-cal. I googled a recipe for Panera Black Bean soup and it was remarkably close.

Spaghetti is our default, I don't really want to cook, we really need to go grocery shopping meal. Boil a pot of water, heat up a can of sauce, and dinner's done. Throw in leftover taco meat, if available.

Then we just have the process of brow-beating the kids, who have decided they don't like tomato based sauces, into eating it.

What used to be a common Sunday dinner in the Appalachians or the South.
Chicken and dumplings.

I grew up in Atlanta - we never had chicken and dumplings. The go-to meals were spaghetti or meatloaf.

We have a family tradition of chicken soup and matzoh balls for Passover supper. Kinda like dumplings, only made with matzoh.

I always enjoy dropping them into the soup and seeing them float up to the top and expand to twice their size.

Back