FOOD!!!!!!!!

Yeah, we don't use any pest control on our tomatoes either. They do great. It's really just our squash that ever seems to get attacked by pests. Oh, and young shoots of things we plant from seed. Sometimes they get destroyed by pill bugs.

My co-worker gave us a tip at the end of the day on Friday. Saturday the local extension office was having a tomato taste-off. You could bring your home-grown tomatoes and submit them, and then taste test and vote for your favorite from each category (paste/slicing/cherry). There were people lecturing on growing and vermicomposting and such, and at the end they brought out bread, bacon, lettuce and may and everyone could make a BLT with the leftover tomatoes from the taste-test. It was very cool in a garden-geek kind of way.

I like pretzels. Particularly the soft kind you can get at fairs and food courts, though I've been saddened by finding that often places make them sweet nowadays. Not sure why. I prefer them salty and buttery.

The crisp kind are a nice treat as well. Sometimes I dip them in mustard as if they are soft pretzels.

Better half flying out today to be there for daughters surgery, which got me to thinking about airlines and food. Now you are lucky to get a bag of stale peanuts or pretzels, does anyone remember, besides me, when airlines actually served real food? On a civilian medivac flight from Seattle to Chicago when I was in the military they served a marvelous breakfast, and in the lounge area because of a special event they had complementary Mai Tais, which I couldn't have because of meds. Does anyone have any good encounters with airline food?

I used to have pretty good experiences with airline food - when there was airline food. Decent chicken plates - sandwiches - snacks. Never ventured to try meat - stayed away from most sauces. Now, if I have to eat, I bring my own. Fourteen to seventeen peanuts just doesn't cut it...not even twice. And that is on a cross country flight - five hours in the air.

It's been a very, very long time since I was on a flight long enough to warrant a meal.

I do have taken a train across country several times over the last decade, from the Midwest to the Pacific Northwest and back. The food they serve has actually improved. It's terribly expensive, so we usually only eat in the dining car once on the 48 hour trip, but one year my father-in-law gifted us with a small sleeper cabin, and the meals were included. They even have a porter for each sleeper car who acts as a sort of butler to the patrons on that car, making meal arrangements, offering snacks and taking care of other needs. It was quite a treat.

The thought of the expense for a sleeper cabin makes me shudder. I hope you thanked your father-in-law profusely. I know I did whenever my father-in-law bought us a vehicle. A Dodge Dart, an AMC Concord, a Ford Ranger, and a Ford Tempo, all used but desperately needed. I happily listened whenever he said, "Tell ya whut ya odda do".

Yes, we did.

It was shortly after my oldest son was born, and we were getting tickets to go back and visit family. He made a big fuss about how we couldn't travel coach with a 6 month old, and bought the tickets. He's very generous, and one of his main ways of showing love is through gifts.

Which brings me up to something which is very basic, yet has a lot of variety, I even used to raise goats for it.

Milk

Skim, 1%, 2%, Whole, Almond, Soy, Coconut, White, or Chocolate? And what is the best way to consume it?

Not so long ago my answer would have been - whole only - dripping from a cookie.

Now my answer is - Almond milk, I like it better than I ever liked milk, and I like it ice cold.

Almond milk here is $3 and change per quart, 2% is $1.99 gallon.

edit: Milk is still cheaper than fuel here though.

Last edited:
We pay $7 for three quarts at Costco - and milk is almost $4 a gallon out here.

I switched to skim a long time ago, and have grown to dislike whole and even 2% milk. Feels like I'm drinking cream straight.

Almond milk has too much of an inherent sweetness to me.

Every once in a while I think about going dairy free for all the things it's supposed to help with, like reduced mucus for clearer breathing, clearer skin, etc, but I don't have significant issues with any of them and my family's diet is pretty dairy heavy, so it would be a major change. I also haven't found a reasonable way to replace the calcium without a lot of effort. Either supplementation, fortified foods, or great quantities of other natural sources (huge amounts of leafy greens!).

Milk is one of the things we get organic, so we pay a pretty penny there as well. Seems worth it, however with how much junk standard practice does to cows, and the fact that milk is one of those things that concentrates pollutants.

Every once in a while I think about going dairy free for all the things it's supposed to help with, like reduced mucus for clearer breathing, clearer skin, etc, but I don't have significant issues with any of them and my family's diet is pretty dairy heavy, so it would be a major change.

That was why we went dairy free. It has made a huge difference, especially during allergy season. Going dairy free was maybe the toughest part of going vegan.

Yeah. My wife has been having some allergy issues lately. As I was typing that, I was thinking maybe it would be a good idea to try. She's even more of a dairy-aholic though. She tends to include cheese in everything, and ice cream is one of her basic food groups.

lol...I hear that. BUUUTTTT when we cut back on the mucous producing dairy and could breathe, it wasn't such a bad sacrifice. We did search out dairy free versions of sour cream, cheeses, milk and some other products. We have fallen in love with fruit bars and sorbet instead of ice cream. We've even found some "ice cream" bars with carob coating. they are expensive, but for an occasional treat, we go for it. It can be done.

Back