GFC Chapter a Day Bible Challenge (Book of Proverbs) January 2010!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Proverbs 7:26 said:
26. Many are the victims she has brought down; her slain are a mighty throng.

Such a simple act, a single choice and your death is upon you...

Proverbs 8:2 said:
2. On the heights along the way, where the paths meet, she takes her stand;

Hard to miss her if she is everywhere you go. Yet people still ignore her...

Such a simple act, a single choice and your death is upon you...
Hard to miss her if she is everywhere you go. Yet people still ignore her...

Not to be nitpicky, I know we all know what you're talking about since we're reading along too, but it still might be a good idea to mark that you're talking about two different "she"s in the verses here. :)

Proverbs 8:21 That I may cause those that love me to inherit substance; and I will fill their treasures.

You don't use wisdom to get treasures for yourself, but having wisdom causes you to receive them!

If you correct someone who makes fun of wisdom, you will be insulted. If you correct an evil person, you will get hurt. Proverbs 9:7 (NCV)

Once again, it doesn't pay to try to help someone who doesn't want help.

Proverbs 9:7 The Message said:
If you reason with an arrogant cynic, you'll get slapped in the face; confront bad behavior and get a kick in the shins.

This one literally made me laugh out loud! Mainly from the visual image and the fact its too true!

Proverbs 8: 14 I possess good advice and competence;
I have understanding and strength.

15 It is by me that kings reign
and rulers enact just law;

16 by me, princes lead,
as do nobles [and] all righteous judges.

17 I love those who love me,
and those who search for me find me.

I don't have a comment on this, it just really spoke to my heart.

Proverbs 9:3 She has sent out her servants;
she calls out from the highest points of the city:

I must seek wisdom out. By seductive temptation will seek me out.

Proverbs 10:1 Solomon's proverbs:
A wise son brings joy to his father,
but a foolish son, heartache to his mother

Can I get an AMEN on this one?

The speech of a good person clears the air; the words of the wicked pollute it. Proverbs 10:32 (MSG)

Righteous people know the kind thing to say, but the wicked are always saying things that hurt. Proverbs 10:32 (TEV)

I like both interpretations.

Ill-gotten treasures are of no value,but righteousness delivers from death.
Pro 10:2

Amen to that!

Proverbs 10:9 He that walketh uprightly walketh surely: but he that perverteth his ways shall be known.

When you keep a clean conscience you can act boldly and confidently, but when you have something to feel guilty about, even if you hide it so that no one else knows, you will always live in fear of someone finding out. It's always best not to bring guilt upon ourselves in the first place, but when we do it's even more important to make things right and accept forgiveness as soon as possible so we don't make the consequences even worse.

Proverbs 11:14 Without guidance, people fall,
but with many counselors there is deliverance

This is something that is lacking (in general) right now. I think too many people are afraid of not being politically correct or hurting someone's feelings. But, if we build relationships with those around us, then it would not be a problem

When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom. Proverbs 11:2 (NIV)

The Message makes this verse very down to earth:

The stuck-up fall flat on their faces, but down-to-earth people stand firm. Proverbs 11:2 (MSG)

Proverbs 11:1 said:
1.The LORD abhors dishonest scales, but accurate weights are his delight.

This one made me smile today as there was some issues with one of our customers at work regarding pricing and my boss and myself kept to the honest side with the lower prices. :D

Proverbs 11:22 As a jewel of gold in a swine's snout, so is a fair woman which is without discretion.

There is a saying that the difference between a lady and a tramp is that a lady draws the line while a tramp falls for it, which is kind of harsh but not without a certain amount of truth. Women tend to judge men by the way they approach her rather than a more objective measure of his qualities as a man. They want to be swept off their feet, rescued from distress, carried off to his castle, and live happily ever after. Her judgement turns out to have a lot more to do with how a man makes her feel than the man himself. This gives bad guys a definite advantage over good guys in this realm, as a bad guy is willing and able to devote lots of time and energy to cultivating such fantasies to get what he wants, and good guys have better, more honorable things to do so they often don't even get noticed in the first place.

A woman needs to have integrity, but on top of that she needs to have discretion, too. She needs to be able to sort out the good from the bad and not be a passive victim to the illusions prospective suitors and even society at large foster and create, even if it means going against her own heart sometimes. Remember the heart is deceitful above all things, and the best standard to judge anyone by is God's standards, because how well a guy pursues God is infinitely more indicative of how his life will go rather than how well he pursues girls.

Wealth is worthless in the day of wrath, but righteousness delivers from death. Pro 11:4

Proverbs 12: 16 A fool's displeasure is known at once,
but whoever ignores an insult is sensible.

It is really hard to turn the other cheek when one is insulted. The insult, however, usually comes from the insecurity of the one who uttered it and it is best to just move on.

Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1 (NIV)

We used to call that the 'S' word when my boys were growing up.

Proverbs 12:1 said:
1. Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid.

Not my verse, but still one of my all time favorites form Proverbs. :D And it has to be said. :D

OK, now my verse:

Proverbs 12:5 said:
5. The plans of the righteous are just, but the advice of the wicked is deceitful.

And having the wisdom and knowledge from the Lord on how to tell the difference between wicked and righteous advice is the main key. :)

Last edited:
The rich can pay a ransom for their lives, but the poor won’t even get threatened. Proverbs 13:8 (NLT)

There are many worries that come with riches that a poorer person doesn't even have to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back